How do you want that cooked....

Hamburger is one of the meats that I don't order rare. Now steak or sushi I do every time. You never know what was ground into the hamburger meat & it is porous like a sponge where bacteria can grow all through the meat. On steak it can only grow on the surface & the surface heat will take care of that. Sushi also is fresh cut & has not had any exposed surface to grow bacteria.

I only order a rare burger at a high quality restaurant that serves Niman Ranch or equivalent beef...same thing with steak tartare. I've never had a bad experience.

Have you tried to order a rare burger lately?

It's almost impossible to get even a medium rare. I know of exactly one place around me that will actually cook a burger the way I want.

My new question for waitresses is, "Do you cook your burgers the way you like them or the way I like them?"

I guess it is not much more risky than ordering raw veggies or salad. Of course most of the veggies are irradiated now days.

They should let you sign a waver saying that you will not hold them responsible for serving them undercooked hamburgers. I guess the way the government, insurance & the restaurant looks at it is they usually have to pay when someone gets poisoned.

Can't get mad cow disease from raw veggies. You just get serious gut trouble.

Most restaurants I have gone to have a disclaimer on the menu that says undercooked food can cause food borne illness.

Yes - But does that let government, insurance, hospital & the restaurant off the hook for the medical bills? Can everyone refuse treatment if you don't pay & let you die from your actions.

If I were to eat rare hamburger, it would be one where I watched the butcher grind it or ground it my self. A good percentage of meat has cow feces still in it, and it's acceptable to both the industry and USDA to let it through. Hamburger is where the meat packing plants throw in all the scraps that were tainted or drop on the floor. floor scraps either go into dog food, hot dogs or hamburger. The first 2 are safe because they have been fully cooked before they were sold to the customer. Eating raw burger from a meat packing plant is like playing Russian roulette.

Now if you wanted to pay up for the burger so the cook could fresh grind some steak into burger for you then that should be safe enough.

Last edited:
Have you tried to order a rare burger lately?

It's almost impossible to get even a medium rare. I know of exactly one place around me that will actually cook a burger the way I want.

My new question for waitresses is, "Do you cook your burgers the way you like them or the way I like them?"

I guess it is not much more risky than ordering raw veggies or salad. Of course most of the veggies are irradiated now days.

They should let you sign a waver saying that you will not hold them responsible for serving them undercooked hamburgers. I guess the way the government, insurance & the restaurant looks at it is they usually have to pay when someone gets poisoned.

Most restaurants I have gone to have a disclaimer on the menu that says undercooked food can cause food borne illness.
Cooking meat doesn't kill mad cow, I hate to break it to you. :lol:

Dry, shoe leather or brick.

Well here we go folks. The nanny staters have made it illegal to order a rare or medium rare burger.

Rare, Red Burgers on the Black Market

Listen up libbies. It's none of your fucking business if i want to eat a bloody hamburger. You can eat a dried up hunk of meat if you want and I won't say a word

20080919-rare-classicinnards.jpg

I don't usually eat my Burgers rare but that Burger pic looks tasty!

Cooking meat doesn't kill mad cow, I hate to break it to you. :lol:

It figures. Which explains why I avoided hamburger except home grown for years....somewhere along the way I forgot what I was avoiding it for.

Dry, shoe leather or brick.

Well here we go folks. The nanny staters have made it illegal to order a rare or medium rare burger.

Rare, Red Burgers on the Black Market

Listen up libbies. It's none of your fucking business if i want to eat a bloody hamburger. You can eat a dried up hunk of meat if you want and I won't say a word

20080919-rare-classicinnards.jpg

Throw a couple of slices of bacon on that and it would be just about perfect.

And besides, a little bacteria is good for the immune system. Helps to keep it in a state of operational readiness.

New Topics

Forum List

Back