How do you self-identify?

Im afraid yes. It sounds very negative, and its traditonally like that, that people of my ancestry dont openly speak about their ancestry. Its a huge psychological problem.

That's their problem you are great just the way you are.

Thats not that easy. Im not Samoan btw, I thought people know what I am here.

You just said you were afraid to admit your Samoan.

I thought its obvious that he is trolling me with the Samoan thing, and that everyone knows what I am. I said Im afraid to openly speak about my ancestry though which is true. Im Romani (Gypsy) from Serbia.

All right then.....
Does your heritage warrant ridicule? I know here in the U.S. blacks get the shitty end of the stick sometimes but in a lot of cases they deserve it.
But they can easily overcome that impression if they dont act like *******.

Yes it warrants ridicule and is seen as very negative. The word here is "Zigeuner" or "Cigan" and equals a insult, like people who are not Roma call eatch other "Cigan" or "ZIgeuner" if they want to say the other is a subhuman insult him. Once a guy in company joked that he was a "Zigeuner" as kid, that means unmannered and troublesome. Also read my thread romani cookbook what I wrote why I dont neccessarily take pride in being roma. Romani (Gypsy) cookbook

I wrote
One thing why I dont take pride in being Romani is because of their lack of a middle class and many characteristics of a "real nation" starting from a own country to a own cuisine and restaurants etc. own sports clubs which represent them in world championships or sports people who represent them at olympic games, or other important represantations etc. But now I found a site with a "romani cookbook" and a few restaurants listed in europe, which sell romani food, That made me proud and I want to share.

From another forum, I frequent. Copy&paste from the user @Esther
Aside from nationality, if someone asks and you say (i.e.) American, but then they ask; yes but what are your origins? Do you just say European/African, tri-racial?

And to people of mixed race, how do you identify, with the predominant part of your ancestry? Or do you go by 'mestiza, castiza, 'half-half', 'mutt'?

Also aside from what you tell people, how is that you truly feel as in what part of you do you identify the most with?
(considering what you say doesn't have to coincide with how you feel/which part your the most connected with). You can be i.e Dutch/English, but connect more with your English side.

Sorry for the extra explanation just trying to make sure my point comes across clearly.

My response
#Depends on the person who I interact with what I communicate him or her about my origins, but usually I would say "Im from Serbia" without specifying which ethnicity I am. Usually people dont ask further. That works in Austria, in a other country it might not work. People also more often ask me about my religion then my ethnicity, here.

#I feel equally close to romani and serbs, I have strong ties to Serbia, Im first generation immigrant, I listen to serbian music, speak serbian at home, and eat serbian food, I celebrate serbian-christmas on 7th January, I go to serbian church. I have a serbian name. The perfect match would be someone like me who is Roma with extra serb ancestry and culturally does the same as I do, believes the same as I do. I would the closest to such a person but I cant generalise that I feel close to every roma, I dont have much in common with British or Spanish Roma, I do feel solidarity with them too, but on a cultural level we are quiete different. As I said the perfect match is someone like me.

#Racially I identify as "mixed race" or "some other race" on forms.
Aside from nationality, if someone asks and you say (i.e.) American, but then they ask; yes but what are your origins? Do you just say European/African, tri-racial?

And to people of mixed race, how do you identify, with the predominant part of your ancestry? Or do you go by 'mestiza, castiza, 'half-half', 'mutt'?

Also aside from what you tell people, how is that you truly feel as in what part of you do you identify the most with?
(considering what you say doesn't have to coincide with how you feel/which part your the most connected with). You can be i.e Dutch/English, but connect more with your English side.

Sorry for the extra explanation just trying to make sure my point comes across clearly.

My response
#Depends on the person who I interact with what I communicate him or her about my origins, but usually I would say "Im from Serbia" without specifying which ethnicity I am. Usually people dont ask further. That works in Austria, in a other country it might not work. People also more often ask me about my religion then my ethnicity, here.

#I feel equally close to romani and serbs, I have strong ties to Serbia, Im first generation immigrant, I listen to serbian music, speak serbian at home, and eat serbian food, I celebrate serbian-christmas on 7th January, I go to serbian church. I have a serbian name. The perfect match would be someone like me who is Roma with extra serb ancestry and culturally does the same as I do, believes the same as I do. I would the closest to such a person but I cant generalise that I feel close to every roma, I dont have much in common with British or Spanish Roma, I do feel solidarity with them too, but on a cultural level we are quiete different. As I said the perfect match is someone like me.

Are you afraid to say that you are Samoan?

Im afraid yes. It sounds very negative, and its traditonally like that, that people of my ancestry dont openly speak about their ancestry. Its a huge psychological problem.

It doesn't matter what you unless you are unless you are hanging with a racist who hates a certain type.

My response

My response

Are you afraid to say that you are Samoan?

It doesn't matter what you unless you are hanging with a racist who hates a certain type.

Not neccearily we are a underclass disliked even by liberals who dont hate blacks or asians but hate us.

a.png

All right then.....
Does your heritage warrant ridicule? I know here in the U.S. blacks get the shitty end of the stick sometimes but in a lot of cases they deserve it.
Hilarity!

Even Obama couldn't overcome the birth defect of the US.

You just said you were afraid to admit your Samoan.

I thought its obvious that he is trolling me with the Samoan thing, and that everyone knows what I am. I said Im afraid to openly speak about my ancestry though which is true. Im Romani (Gypsy) from Serbia.

All right then.....

Yes it warrants ridicule and is seen as very negative. The word here is "Zigeuner" or "Cigan" and equals a insult, like people who are not Roma call eatch other "Cigan" or "ZIgeuner" if they want to say the other is a subhuman insult him. Once a guy in company joked that he was a "Zigeuner" as kid, that means unmannered and troublesome. Also read my thread romani cookbook what I wrote why I dont neccessarily take pride in being roma. Romani (Gypsy) cookbook

I wrote
One thing why I dont take pride in being Romani is because of their lack of a middle class and many characteristics of a "real nation" starting from a own country to a own cuisine and restaurants etc. own sports clubs which represent them in world championships or sports people who represent them at olympic games, or other important represantations etc. But now I found a site with a "romani cookbook" and a few restaurants listed in europe, which sell romani food, That made me proud and I want to share.

Your cookbook in a lot of ways resembles Southern comfort food in the south.

7e02c44e528a5d52af2ad1f81aed9b93.jpg

^^^^Go to reason I just knocked someone's glass of water over at a dinner.

Forum List

Back