How do you self-identify?

Mortimer

Gold Member
From another forum, I frequent. Copy&paste from the user @Esther
Aside from nationality, if someone asks and you say (i.e.) American, but then they ask; yes but what are your origins? Do you just say European/African, tri-racial?

And to people of mixed race, how do you identify, with the predominant part of your ancestry? Or do you go by 'mestiza, castiza, 'half-half', 'mutt'?

Also aside from what you tell people, how is that you truly feel as in what part of you do you identify the most with?
(considering what you say doesn't have to coincide with how you feel/which part your the most connected with). You can be i.e Dutch/English, but connect more with your English side.

Sorry for the extra explanation just trying to make sure my point comes across clearly.

My response
#Depends on the person who I interact with what I communicate him or her about my origins, but usually I would say "Im from Serbia" without specifying which ethnicity I am. Usually people dont ask further. That works in Austria, in a other country it might not work. People also more often ask me about my religion then my ethnicity, here.

#I feel equally close to romani and serbs, I have strong ties to Serbia, Im first generation immigrant, I listen to serbian music, speak serbian at home, and eat serbian food, I celebrate serbian-christmas on 7th January, I go to serbian church. I have a serbian name. The perfect match would be someone like me who is Roma with extra serb ancestry and culturally does the same as I do, believes the same as I do. I would the closest to such a person but I cant generalise that I feel close to every roma, I dont have much in common with British or Spanish Roma, I do feel solidarity with them too, but on a cultural level we are quiete different. As I said the perfect match is someone like me.

#Racially I identify as "mixed race" or "some other race" on forms.

94 percent Welsh, 6 percent Jewish (Mom's side)

I had that family tested.

Who knew?

From another forum, I frequent. Copy&paste from the user @Esther
Aside from nationality, if someone asks and you say (i.e.) American, but then they ask; yes but what are your origins? Do you just say European/African, tri-racial?

And to people of mixed race, how do you identify, with the predominant part of your ancestry? Or do you go by 'mestiza, castiza, 'half-half', 'mutt'?

Also aside from what you tell people, how is that you truly feel as in what part of you do you identify the most with?
(considering what you say doesn't have to coincide with how you feel/which part your the most connected with). You can be i.e Dutch/English, but connect more with your English side.

Sorry for the extra explanation just trying to make sure my point comes across clearly.

My response
#Depends on the person who I interact with what I communicate him or her about my origins, but usually I would say "Im from Serbia" without specifying which ethnicity I am. Usually people dont ask further. That works in Austria, in a other country it might not work. People also more often ask me about my religion then my ethnicity, here.

#I feel equally close to romani and serbs, I have strong ties to Serbia, Im first generation immigrant, I listen to serbian music, speak serbian at home, and eat serbian food, I celebrate serbian-christmas on 7th January, I go to serbian church. I have a serbian name. The perfect match would be someone like me who is Roma with extra serb ancestry and culturally does the same as I do, believes the same as I do. I would the closest to such a person but I cant generalise that I feel close to every roma, I dont have much in common with British or Spanish Roma, I do feel solidarity with them too, but on a cultural level we are quiete different. As I said the perfect match is someone like me.

#Racially I identify as "mixed race" or "some other race" on forms.
Morty, that forum is warping you. It did it to me.

I am German, Polish, Serbian, and, Iroquois. Heinz 57.

Canis Latrans

I hunt varmints.

Sorry,

Got several Canis Latrans a few weeks ago..

I tend to go after the prairie dogs. I know a few dairy ranch owners/mangers that are quite happy to see me show up. You don't want rats in your house, you don't want varmints on your ranch.

Buddy of mine just converted his .243 to an Ackley Improved, just for coyotes. Good round.

We dont have prairie dogs in my part of Texas.
We mainly shoot coyotes and wild hogs as far as vermin go.

New Topics

Forum List

Back