How do you see the opposition?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Baruch Menachem, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    Rdean made an interesting thread. Not so much for what it tells us about about the topic at hand, as much as it tells us about Rdean.

He seems to feel all employers are Republican, that they hire only like minded people, that they are easlity manipulated, lazy, and cheap. His head holds so many contradictory opinions that it is a miracle he has only one head to hold them all.

I am not going to go on a tear against him, as he is representative of a problem on both sides. My own views are not a lot better. I see many Democrats as petty spiteful folks who are more interested in kicking people down a peg and getting revenge for others good fortune than in making things better for people generally. Those who are not like this are dreamy folks who have too rosy a view of human nature, and either excuse or facilitate bad things happening because they don't understand the animal they are dealing with. Much as someone who thinks wolves are cute and cuddly and would be happy with a vegan diet. This won't work either. (Not to say Humans are wolves, but folks who ignore the fact that we are, in terms of the food chain, part of the predators level are missing important facts that cause big problems for good understanding)

I think most of the folks I deal with here are honestly obtuse. There are those who are cluless, but I give them a pass. I don't know everything either. There do seem to be a few here that need to see a pshrink. They are generally on ignore.

Anyway, Do you think of people you disagree with as fools, honestly misguided, knaves, venial, or how? Do you regard them as honestly misguided, or twisted souls using politics as a way of relieving their own psychological distress?

2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Prople of similiar mental dispositions tend to gather in groups.
    then they often set goals of making everyone lese just like them.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    Putting aside those that are obviously partisan fools of both sides, I see those with differening views than mine as teachers and students all in one. I have a lot to learn from them just as they have a lot to learn from me.

I am a conservative who believes all have the right to live as they wish. Knowing why they wish to live as they do helps me as a neighbor, employer, copmmunity participant and American citizen. I have no anger to their views. Just curiosity.

Afterall, who am I to say my way is right for anyone else?

4. FrankieGA

FrankieGA Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I honestly feel that most people on this site that claim to be Democrat are truly spiteful. If you don't agree with what is currently going on you are automatically labeled a Republican. Many don't realize that there is a distinct difference between Conservative and Republicans. Yes you can have the mix on either side of the aisle.

But the same does indeed go for the other side as well. Most that bash Bush or consider the Tea Party movement ugly immediately are labeled a Liberal Democrat.

Fact is there are some serious issues going on in government that need to be addressed by both sides of the aisle. Enough is Enough. And as long as the American People stay divided in the issues and not divided on how the process is completed the longer we will stay where we are at. People need to wake up, take a look in the mirror. Do some research, search for the answers. We are not going to agree on everything, but we certainly can agree and comprimise on most things.

5. txlonghorn

txlonghorn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    wow...I don't think I can answer your question with just one of the choices. As you said, some are obtuse, some are misguided and, let's face it, some are just here to spew hate. What's interesting is, that sometimes, during a debate, arguement, name-calling session, or whatever is going on between the regulars here, I bump into a line of thinking that makes me stop and analyze my own thought process. If you are open to other positions and are willing to consider alternate opinions, you can gain from it.

Its fun to see all the different mindsets displayed here. There are some real thinkers here...and then there are some real non-thinkers too.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,384
    I am not proud to be a Republican, but for me right now, it is better than being a Democrat, and if you don't belong to one or the other in New Mexico, you have little chance to contribute to the process at the primary level.

I don't condemn all Democrats in my mind because I have too many friends, colleagues, business contacts, family, and neighbors who are Democrats and who are very good people as I also have many friends, colleagues, business contacts, family, and neighbors who are Republican. And there are scoundrels in both parties.

Allowing for exceptions of some liberal Republicans and some conservative Democrats, however, I think there are otherwise deep philosophical differences between the American right and American left as reflected in the two major parties.

Democrats tend to have much less appreciation for tradition or traditional values, the Founders' intent with the U.S. Constitution, or a concept of God given unalienable rights. If it is Democrats in power, they tend to put trust and confidence in big government to solve social and economic problems and support mandatory participation in whatever elected leaders choose as solutions to those problems.

Republicans tend to have much more appreciation for tradition and traditional values, are more likely to support and apprecaite the Founders' intent with the U.S. Constitution, and fiercely defend the concept of God given unalienable rights. Regardless of who is in power, Republicans put little confidence in government to solve social and economic problems and resent mandatory participating in whatever elected leaders choose as solutions to those problems.

Democrats see the people as a single organism to be directed en masse.

Republicans see the people as indviduals with unalienable rights that are to be restricted as little as can be accomplished while remaining a people governed by laws.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    My opposition is those on both sides who like to keep the IQ of this country down another twenty points and those who are simply trying to create violence in one way or another.

Although I hate to say it and I wish I never did, there are a good number of people in this country and probably on this board who cheer daily when the unemployment numbers go up or the war doesn't go well. Why? They want to see the President and Congress fail, and be booted out of office.

But before some decide to kick, scream, cry, and flip out. There were sure a fair amount of people on the left who did the same thing when Bush was in office.

We should all strive for a better nation, not one that is divided against itself.

8. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    This is my point about the twenty IQ points folks.

Do you know the Founders intent with the U.S. Constitution? Unless you were alive then, nobody truly knows. It's all a guessing game, and anyone can shift it so it looks like they are being traditional.

Also, there are no God given unalienable rights. Let me repeat that.

There are no God given unalienable rights.

Because unless public figures are now suddenly more powerful than God, there would of been no slavery in the first place.

Rights are a figment of our imagination, make believe things we wish we had but we truly don't. If you think you have rights, you have bought into the idea that these "freedoms" you think you have cannot be taken away at any time. You'd be wrong. Rights aren't rights if they can be taken away.

9. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,976
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkSFIWzi7aA]YouTube - What Is Best In Life.[/ame]

10. FrankieGA

FrankieGA Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Dogbert, And here is how the fighting starts. Maybe listening and taking it in before you quickly jump to bash someone else's point of view would help you understand the thought of the other side. This is exactly what is happeining in this country daily! People from both sides rushing to give their opinion before thinking about it. Fact is, there are a TON of written documents from the founding fathers that go into great detail on how they felt and what they thought. Maybe take a minute and read a biography of any of the founding fathers and then come back to debate it what they "Thought" was best for this country.

Don't be so quick to jump to an argument, this thread was started to voice how you see each side, not to start a war of words over who was right and who was wrong.