How do you see our collective moral and ethical cup? Half full or overflowing with goodness?

It doesn’t work that way. Standards exist for reasons. When they are violated the reasons make themselves known. It’s probabilistic in nature. Moral laws are not like physical laws.

IOW, you were talking out of your ass and cannot back up your claim.

Your garbage way to post is why I laughed so hard when you wanted to do a one on one.

You would have lasted 2 maybe 3 posts before I would have had to write you off.

What a waste of a mind.

Regards
DL

I do think it can be difficult for people from organized religions to understand concepts of morality / success of the species when many organized religions have been the worst examples of morality and survival of the species.

I think there are two issues to address: survival and morality. There is a huge difference in "surviving" and behaving morally and ethically. There would obviously be things that we would "learn" from a living in a society with a successful survival instinct, such as:

1) Inbreeding would weaken the species;

2) Children must be protected from predators, be taught to feed themselves, work and survive;

3) Killing the king of the village would likely result in weakening the ability of the village to survive.

But these evolutionary imperatives also speak to something more than just survival. They speak to cooperation and advancing the society.

No argument against this.

Unfortunately, in the Abrahamic cults we are cursed with, the natural law does not apply. It says that the offspring should outlive the parent yet Christians and Muslims adore a God who has his child murdered instead of doing the manly thing and stepping up himself.

They call their demonstrably evil God, good. No guff. Theists are mentally deficient in terms of a moral sense.

Theists have gone from a single moral standard moral, the best moral position, and have settled for calling evil good, to a double moral standard were they forgive God the most heinous crimes and sins and still give that unholy satanic God adoration. That is crazy.

Regards
DL

I’ve come away from these threads with the clear impression that the angriest thumpers are the last people on the planet to be lecturing anyone on morals. The thumpers tend to use their religion like a bloody truncheon as a weapon to attack the non-believers.

Hey, it's thumpers who claim that they have morals of a divine nature to adhere to -- it's thumpers who claims a "better person" comes from a deep faith. Materialists have no such doctrine to adhere to.

Who's the hypocrite in this situation:

The person who says there is no god but then behaves with tolerance and respect simply because it's in the human interest to do so

OR

The person who claims they have a duty to emulate a higher being and follow higher rules, and then doesn't?

My expectation is that if religion is so beneficial that it must be forced on all (as is the belief of many thumpers, then it follows adherents to it should be better people. If religious beliefs make you less tolerant, more violent, then of what good is it (a good example is fundamentalist christians)?

Morals and ethics are claimed by thumpers to be the result of the inerrancy of Christian dogma (an utterly untrue assertion with reams of evidence against it), which is then touted as the wondrous panacea that solves all the world's ills and makes all those who believe people deserving of eternal paradise.

But you know what? I see just the opposite on this board. A lot of very religious individuals are the most reactive and want to use their religion to denigrate those who don't believe as they do. And this is all good? I would say it's tragic in the extreme.

No argument buddy.

A religion is a tribe, first and foremost. Tribes are groups of insecure people, as we all are, but need they seek fellowship and the protection of numbers to be comfortable. Theists want to be associated with power and thus sell their souls to some tribe.

Pathetic for the sheeple but that allows sheep dogs like Gnostic Christians to harry them and find the more astute thinkers, like you.

Regards
DL
You don't know anything about the Gnostics. Stop it.

Did you know the Gnostics discouraged charity?

Morals are effectively standards.

That should not be set by a genocidal satanic God.

You are the last one that I would even attempt to discus the satanic Christian moral views with. You call evil good.

Regards
DL
Good thing there is only one God and He is good. :smile:
He’s so good he allows deformed and retarded babies to be born. Great guy!
And God shares in their suffering as God shares in yours.

You are the last one that I would even attempt to discus the satanic Christian moral views with. You call evil good.

Regards
DL
You have no proof for that.

Regards
DL
You have no proof for that.
:dance:

Forum List

Back