How do you respond to the interview question, "What is your greatest weakness?"

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
Yesterday I had to do a phone interview of an experienced hire candidate who seeks to join our firm as a senior manager (one step below "entry level" partner). The interview was going along well and I decided to as one of the easiest "tough" questions there are: What's your greatest weakness?

Well, there's a first time for everything, I suppose. Yesterday was the first time I've asked that question and received an answer that by itself determined my decision about whether to give my imprimatur for hiring the candidate.

The man answered by in effect saying that he's been told that he can be difficult to work with. Upon hearing that, I abruptly ended the interview, asking if he had any questions of me. He didn't and that was that.

I have no idea what led the candidate to think that giving the answer he did could possibly aid and abet his assertion that he'd be a good person for us to hire, but insofar as he gave it, he must have his reasons. What I do know is that being hard to work with and lacking the judgment not to say that in an interview indicated the guy is too stupid and under seasoned for us to hire in any capacity. I was so astounded that I emailed the people who did the preliminary "phone screen" and early stage interviews on the guy to inquire how his abject inanity and unfitness for our firm did not come through when they spoke with him. I was and remain incredulous that the guy made it far enough through the interview process that he got to talk to me.

(Normally, I don't any longer do interviews, but the guy specifically expressed an interest in being part of my practice unit, and I have final say on all manager-and-above experienced hires who aim to it. It was rather serendipitous that I had to be part of the interview team considering him because the unique nature of my unit's work militates for "growing" people more so than finding them from outside the firm.)

The guy could have said any number of things. Hell, he could have gone with one of the standard pat answers to that question, and I'd have at least counted his answer as neither strong nor weak, but as neutral.

So with that as background, how did you answer the question I posed when you have been asked it?

Those kind of interview questions are stupid because you're pretty much asking the interviewee to feed you a line of bullshit. Sounds to me like the guy you interviewed was trying to be honest.

Yesterday I had to do a phone interview of an experienced hire candidate who seeks to join our firm as a senior manager (one step below "entry level" partner). The interview was going along well and I decided to as one of the easiest "tough" questions there are: What's your greatest weakness?

Well, there's a first time for everything, I suppose. Yesterday was the first time I've asked that question and received an answer that by itself determined my decision about whether to give my imprimatur for hiring the candidate.

The man answered by in effect saying that he's been told that he can be difficult to work with. Upon hearing that, I abruptly ended the interview, asking if he had any questions of me. He didn't and that was that.

I have no idea what led the candidate to think that giving the answer he did could possibly aid and abet his assertion that he'd be a good person for us to hire, but insofar as he gave it, he must have his reasons. What I do know is that being hard to work with and lacking the judgment not to say that in an interview indicated the guy is too stupid and under seasoned for us to hire in any capacity. I was so astounded that I emailed the people who did the preliminary "phone screen" and early stage interviews on the guy to inquire how his abject inanity and unfitness for our firm did not come through when they spoke with him. I was and remain incredulous that the guy made it far enough through the interview process that he got to talk to me.

(Normally, I don't any longer do interviews, but the guy specifically expressed an interest in being part of my practice unit, and I have final say on all manager-and-above experienced hires who aim to it. It was rather serendipitous that I had to be part of the interview team considering him because the unique nature of my unit's work militates for "growing" people more so than finding them from outside the firm.)

The guy could have said any number of things. Hell, he could have gone with one of the standard pat answers to that question, and I'd have at least counted his answer as neither strong nor weak, but as neutral.

So with that as background, how did you answer the question I posed when you have been asked it?
I absolutley dispise that question. You are begging to be lied to by asking it! The reality is that any one with half a brain would not tell some one their greatest weakness as it opens one up for exploitation. I almost feel as though they are trying to find out how good of a liar I am. Then I imagine, that if my lie was good enough and they will hire me and expect me to lie while working and fucking miserable I would be in a job that required lying all day. So I look for the most truethfull answer I can give them on the subject. I answer with " I am not very good a taking compliments for a job well done as I feel that I should not even be here if it was not a job well done. I certainly prefer bonuses and raises over accolades." I would have to be in dire straights to take the job. Unless the situation was nothing like I expected from the question, I likely would not be there long. I would be continually looking for an employer that I felt was more interested in the truth than putting some one on the spot!

PS. I am hoping that an offer comes from some one who did not ask the question. Assuming similar pay I will take the job from the interviewer that did not ask that question first.

Last edited:
I was asked that question once and I answered with...I sometimes catch myself getting to detailed in my work and it slows my production.
I was going to be making flight hardware for the shuttle program.

I got the job.

"What would you say your greatest weakness is?"

"I like to rape."

"Welcome to Chuck E' Cheese. You start tomorrow."

So how do you feel asking it?

I absolutley dispise that question. You are begging to be lied to by asking it! The reality is that any one with half a brain would not tell some one their greatest weakness as it opens one up for exploitation. I almost feel as though they are trying to find out how good of a liar I am. Then I imagine, that if my lie was good enough and they will hire me and expect me to lie while working and fucking miserable I would be in a job that required lying all day. So I look for the most truethfull answer I can give them on the subject. I answer with " I am not very good a taking compliments for a job well done as I feel that I should not even be here if it was not a job well done. I certainly prefer bonuses and raises over accolades." I would have to be in dire straights to take the job. Unless the situation was nothing like I expected from the question, I likely would not be there long. I would be continually looking for an employer that I felt was more interested in the truth than putting some one on the spot!

PS. I am hoping that an offer comes from some one who did not ask the question. Assuming similar pay I will take the job from the interviewer that did not ask that question first.
The reality is that any one with half a brain would not tell some one their greatest weakness as it opens one up for exploitation. I almost feel as though they are trying to find out how good of a liar I am.
No fair interviewer asks that question for that reason.

I tell them that I tend to be an over-achiever and with this comes certain weaknesses that laid back slackers do not ever have.

I was asked that question once and I answered with...I sometimes catch myself getting to detailed in my work and it slows my production.

I got the job.
I sometimes catch myself getting to detailed in my work and it slows my production.
That's essentially one of the pat answers one expects to receive upon asking that question. If it or something like it is what I get in response, giving that sort of answer neither helps nor hinders the candidate's position with me.

I got the job.
I sometimes catch myself getting to detailed in my work and it slows my production.
That's essentially one of the pat answers one expects to receive upon asking that question. If it or something like it is what I get in response, giving that sort of answer neither helps nor hinders the candidate's position with me.
You have to turn the question around and hit them back with it in a different form.

This is a part of rhetorical sophistry.

They are playing the game with you so you need to play it back on them.

What if he had told you he was a perfectionist?

Why not simply take 10-15 minutes of a simulated run through of a project?
The “Weak” question means you don’t want to hire the candi.

So how do you feel asking it?
I don't feel anything asking it. It's just a question. At most, I think of it as an "give away" question of sorts that typical interviewees will answer such that their answer has no impact on their chances of receiving an offer and that outstanding candidates will convert into an opportunity to very favorably affect their odds of receiving an offer and avail themselves of the opportunity. I feel that way because "everyone" knows there is a fair chance they'll be asked that question, so one must be a "big ol' hot mess" to answer it in a way that actually hurts one's position.

I got the job.

In this case it helped.
They didnt care if you took your time as long as it was right.
NASA was famous for kicking back work for something as trivial as a bevel that had no real function being off a few thousands.

"I like to rape."

"Welcome to Chuck E' Cheese. You start tomorrow."

"Honesty."

"I don't think honesty is a weakness."

"I don't give a fuck what you think."

(sorry)

I got the job.

In this case it helped.
NASA was famous for kicking back work for something as trivial as a bevel that had no real function being off a few thousands.

Yeah, but didn't you work on the Challenger?

I got the job.
You have to turn the question around and hit them back with it in a different form.

This is a part of rhetorical sophistry.

They are playing the game with you so you need to play it back on them.
Well, an interviewee may try that with me, but doing so is one of the ways to lessen the odds that I approve their receiving an offer. When I'm the interviewer, I'm not the one being tested, as it were. Candidates are well advised to keep that in mind at all times during their interview process. I suspect in thinking that way about the situation that I'm not rare among principals, most especially not among very senior principals (people in the top three tiers of a firm's management).

What if he had told you he was a perfectionist?
I'd construe that as a one of the many pat answers to the question.

I got the job.

In this case it helped.

Yeah, but didn't you work on the Challenger?

I had nothing to do with the O-rings....lol

Forum List

Back