How do you propose that we reduce the number of abortions in our country?

I don't believe in karma but it does seem to me that having children irresponsibly and/or having too many could catch up to you in the end. So even if you don't care what effect your actions have on the rest of the world, you should at least realize what they could have on you.

I don't think for one second that God...all entities of Him, does not understand human emotions and our concerns...I don't think He is "cold as Ice" as some on this board may give the impression of...I think He is a Merciful God, loving God, a just God who knows what each individual girl having an abortion went through in making their decisions....

in other words, there will be no single group of women that had abortions gathered together and thrown in to the lake of fire on judgment day...as some people may come off implying or actually believe themselves?

I honestly don't know of any case, not one, in maybe the 10 instances of where i know women involved in getting an abortion, where any of them killed their offspring with MALICE....all of them were torn on what to do, were fearful, scared, concerned, sad etc about the position they were in....

No one was rubbing their hands together with glee, shouting goody goody goody, I get to have an abortion today, as the right tries to make these girls out to be....

BUT THE TRUTH of the matter is, that what Sky and I were talking about...karma or "reaping what you sow", is what life is made up of...here on earth....we make choices, bad ones can come back to haunt us, even if we do not think they are a bad choice at the time....God gives us warnings of such, and maybe Buddha did as well....that I am unfamiliar with...but there are consequences to our actions and wrong or immoral or unethical or even just simply unwise or not thoroughly thought out decisions and actions that do bring other reactions down the road to such decisions/actions that could be more painful that one would think....

care

I know a few people I was close to who have had abortions. Likewise, none were rubbing their hands with glee. One was raised Catholic and felt uneasy about it but had no hesitation about doing it. I don't know her any more but she never expressed any regret or showed any signs of depression in the 5 years I knew her afterwords. The others were atheists like me and their immediate reaction was relief to have been able have it done. Both had had trouble finding a doctor wiling to do it. Another was preparing to have an abortion when she miscarried.

On the other hand, I was friends for a while with a woman who had wanted an abortion but was talked out of it by her mother and a priest. They convinced her to give her baby up for adoption. She was 17 at the time. When I knew her she was in her late thirties and when she told me how horrible she felt saying goodbye to her baby I nearly cried. She told me that ever since then she was haunted by the idea that the child had not been cared for and may have been abused. It was a closed adoption so she had no idea who took the baby. Whenever she read about some child in the news paper being abused by it's parents she wondered if it was an adopted child. She felt such guilt at having abandoned her baby that she felt she did not deserve to have any other children. Her relationship with her mother deteriorated. She says her biggest regret in life was not having insisted on having the abortion.

and anguille, my heart goes out to your friend and the karma she lives with.

SOUNDS LIKE she would have made a wonderful, protective, worrisome mother...!!! :)

maybe her decision to follow her parents will, was a mistake, looking back on it, the RIGHT decision for her...would have been to keep her child, regardless of parent's wishes...not aborting.

believe me, she sounds like the type of girl, that if she had aborted, she would be thinking she deserved no other child as well, and she would be thinking 5 years out, my child would be going to school this year, my child would probably be married by now, my child would have given me grandkids by now....

this goes back to the premise of this thread...stopping the unwanted or surprised pregnancy from occurring in the first place is truly what is BEST for all women!

care

I don't think for one second that God...all entities of Him, does not understand human emotions and our concerns...I don't think He is "cold as Ice" as some on this board may give the impression of...I think He is a Merciful God, loving God, a just God who knows what each individual girl having an abortion went through in making their decisions....

in other words, there will be no single group of women that had abortions gathered together and thrown in to the lake of fire on judgment day...as some people may come off implying or actually believe themselves?

I honestly don't know of any case, not one, in maybe the 10 instances of where i know women involved in getting an abortion, where any of them killed their offspring with MALICE....all of them were torn on what to do, were fearful, scared, concerned, sad etc about the position they were in....

No one was rubbing their hands together with glee, shouting goody goody goody, I get to have an abortion today, as the right tries to make these girls out to be....

BUT THE TRUTH of the matter is, that what Sky and I were talking about...karma or "reaping what you sow", is what life is made up of...here on earth....we make choices, bad ones can come back to haunt us, even if we do not think they are a bad choice at the time....God gives us warnings of such, and maybe Buddha did as well....that I am unfamiliar with...but there are consequences to our actions and wrong or immoral or unethical or even just simply unwise or not thoroughly thought out decisions and actions that do bring other reactions down the road to such decisions/actions that could be more painful that one would think....

care

I know a few people I was close to who have had abortions. Likewise, none were rubbing their hands with glee. One was raised Catholic and felt uneasy about it but had no hesitation about doing it. I don't know her any more but she never expressed any regret or showed any signs of depression in the 5 years I knew her afterwords. The others were atheists like me and their immediate reaction was relief to have been able have it done. Both had had trouble finding a doctor wiling to do it. Another was preparing to have an abortion when she miscarried.

On the other hand, I was friends for a while with a woman who had wanted an abortion but was talked out of it by her mother and a priest. They convinced her to give her baby up for adoption. She was 17 at the time. When I knew her she was in her late thirties and when she told me how horrible she felt saying goodbye to her baby I nearly cried. She told me that ever since then she was haunted by the idea that the child had not been cared for and may have been abused. It was a closed adoption so she had no idea who took the baby. Whenever she read about some child in the news paper being abused by it's parents she wondered if it was an adopted child. She felt such guilt at having abandoned her baby that she felt she did not deserve to have any other children. Her relationship with her mother deteriorated. She says her biggest regret in life was not having insisted on having the abortion.

SOUNDS LIKE she would have made a wonderful, protective, worrisome mother...!!! :)

maybe her decision to follow her parents will, was a mistake, looking back on it, the RIGHT decision for her...would have been to keep her child, regardless of parent's wishes...not aborting.

believe me, she sounds like the type of girl, that if she had aborted, she would be thinking she deserved no other child as well, and she would be thinking 5 years out, my child would be going to school this year, my child would probably be married by now, my child would have given me grandkids by now....

this goes back to the premise of this thread...stopping the unwanted or surprised pregnancy from occurring in the first place is truly what is BEST for all women!

care

She was a pretty staunch supporter of abortion rights after that. And very critical of the Catholic Church in which she had been raised and whose influence prevented her from doing what she thought was the right thing to do.

I think you might be projecting what you might have felt onto her.

If you are not raised in a culture that looks down on abortion and those who have them, you are less likely to have regrets and psychological problems afterwards, IMO.

care

She was a pretty staunch supporter of abortion rights after that. And very critical of the Catholic Church in which she had been raised and whose influence prevented her from doing what she thought was the right thing to do.

If you are not raised in a culture that looks down on abortion and those who have them, you are less likely to have regrets and psychological problems afterwards,
IMO.

oh, no doubt one is less likely to experience guilt if they were not brought up to feel guilty for....just about everything!!!!:lol:

care

If you are not raised in a culture that looks down on abortion and those who have them, you are less likely to have regrets and psychological problems afterwards,
IMO.

oh, no doubt one is less likely to experience guilt if they were not brought up to feel guilty for....just about everything!!!!:lol:

I think it's possible to feel that abortion is an unskillful alternative to an unwanted pregnancy and yet not look down other people who choose to get them.

care

IMO.

:lol: Catholic guilt must suck but nothing compared to Swedish guilt. :lol:

Back to my friend. I recall her saying something about how she tried to find a way to forgive her mother because as misguided as her mother was, she thought that her mother must have really believed that she was saving her daughter from hell because she doesn't think her mother could have been so cruel as to but her through what she ended up growing through. My friend then said something about how she thinks she would have felt bad about aborting but that at least she would have known what happened to it and that it was safe. Not knowing what kind of life her baby ended up having was torture to her.

This reminds me of another question for Immie.

You really want to reduce abortion? Buy the babies for 100k, who wouldn't want to then take the baby to term and pocket 100k?

Forum List

Back