How do you make the perfect cup of tea?

u2scram

Oct 26, 2010
The Royal Society of Chemistry announced it is searching for the perfect way to make a cup of tea.

The project marks the 100th anniversary of George Orwell's birth. Orwell was a tea connoisseur.

A Nice Cup of Tea by George Orwell

A Nice Cup of Tea By George Orwell Evening Standard, 12 January 1946.

You've heard of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, well the English tea ceremony is also imbued with intrigue and mystery. And besides, its something Americans ought to be educated in. After all, Boston Harbour, shameful....

The Royal Society of Chemistry announced it is searching for the perfect way to make a cup of tea.

The project marks the 100th anniversary of George Orwell's birth. Orwell was a tea connoisseur.

You've heard of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, well the English tea ceremony is also imbued with intrigue and mystery. And besides, its something Americans ought to be educated in. After all, Boston Harbour, shameful....

I had a Scottish granny, and she had a whole ritual. I could do it (I remember how) but I haven't got the tea cosies and my tea pot is not pewter.

I have to say, the damned tea doesn't taste any better after you UK-ers fuss it up. Have some fucking coffee once in awhile!

If you ask the onboard computer on your space ship, it is liable to freeze all circuits for hours at a stretch.

The most important part of your kit on a long patrol is PLENTY OF TEABAGS! Nothing else matters!

Funny that this came up.

There's something about habitual ceremony that people find rewarding.

I was just discussing this with a fellow stoner as I was rolling a joint during my tea time yesterday afternoon.

We were lamenting that once marijuana is legal, it'll probably be available in ready rolled joints.

That will be, I think, a loss, no less than making tea from a bag is something lost to the tea cermemony.

People need these petty ceremonies in our lives.

WE all tend to create them (sotto voce) for ourselves and probably don't really think of them as such.

They're something that we can count on and something that we look forward to.

They are those tiny moments that we set aside to give our lives some sense of control.

Whether its stopping at the same 7-11 on your way to work, or it's a formal tea ceremony, it's a welcome form of self induced habituation that most of us give ourselves.

First of all, one should use Indian or Ceylonese tea. Anyone who has used that comforting phrase 'a nice cup of tea' invariably means Indian tea.

Secondly, tea should be made in a teapot. The teapot should be made of china or earthenware.

after making the tea, one should stir it, or better, give the pot a good shake, afterwards allowing the leaves to settle.

one should drink out of a good breakfast cup — that is, the cylindrical type of cup, not the flat, shallow type. The breakfast cup holds more, and with the other kind one's tea is always half cold before one has well started on it.

one should pour the cream off the milk before using it for tea. Milk that is too creamy always gives tea a sickly taste.

Lastly, tea should be drunk without sugar. I know very well that I am in a minority here. But still, how can you call yourself a true tea lover if you destroy the flavour of your tea by putting sugar in it? If you sweeten it, you are no longer tasting the tea, you are merely tasting the sugar; you could make a very similar drink by dissolving sugar in plain hot water.

I am pretty sure douglas adams described this properly a long time ago.

New Topics

Forum List

Back