How Do You Lose Weight?

Ever wanted to take off a few pounds? Were you successful? Let's discuss diet and weight loss, guys.

I have tried every theory of weight loss or weight maintenance under the sun. (I've been "naturally skinny" all my life until the past five years or so, and have grown a tad fluffy with time.) In my 20's my doctor gave me speed -- man, that works like a charm! The guy who invents an appetite suppressant that has no bad side effects will make a fortune, and I gather they are making some progress that-a-way.

In my 30's I tried exercise. I was diligent as hell...seven days a week, mostly strength training. Never lost an ounce nor did I become any stronger. Exercise is unbeatable for stress management, though, I will say that much.

In my 40's keeping weight on was the problem, not getting it off. I blame the yo-yo hormones a lady has at an older age for this. Unfortunately, "skinny" is a bad look for an older lady.

Now, I am kinda sorta just watching what I eat, walking every day, blah blah blah. I'd like to take off about 15 lbs and nothing is happening. I'm beginning to think it's because I am meant to have the extra padding.

What say you? Ever wondered if the diet gurus are full of shit?

I can lose weight just by giving up beef, frozen meals (aka TV dinners) and boxed crap that has a lot of preservatives. Also nix soda and wine. I too have never been "fat" but would gain just enough so that when my favorite jeans or such wouldn't button, I'd then also turn to situps--even 20 a day religiously will help.

Move to another country where they have real food ?

Eat fresh, home cooked food.
Always eat 3 or 4 small meals a day and park your car as far away from Walmart as you can. Cut your own damn grass. Wash your own car.Paint your own house and clean your own gutters and flew,chop your own firewood, shovel your own snow,rake your own leaves, if applicable.
If not find a place to swim about half hour, 3 or 4 times a week.
In other words...be un-murkin.

Oh. And throw the fucking TV in a dumpster. You're all dumbed down enough.

TV shows are saturated with beautiful bodies, so they should be role models. It's the food ads that should be muted, and I actually rarely see any because I record most of the programs I like and just FF over all commercials. Try to take my TV/DVR and die.

Wake up early.

Start smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee.

Continue doing same until about 5 PM.

Eat one modest meal a day

Drink more coffee and smoke more cigarettes after dinner until bedtime.

Repeat that reigment for decades.

You'll lose weight, I promise.

What? No vodka?

Always eat 3 or 4 small meals a day and park your car as far away from Walmart as you can. Cut your own damn grass. Wash your own car.Paint your own house and clean your own gutters and flew,chop your own firewood, shovel your own snow,rake your own leaves, if applicable.

TV shows are saturated with beautiful bodies, so they should be role models. It's the food ads that should be muted, and I actually rarely see any because I record most of the programs I like and just FF over all commercials. Try to take my TV/DVR and die.

I have to disagree on one point. The "beautiful bodies" of today are almost always unhealthily, unnaturally thin, and a terrible role model. If you can't achieve a look and a body type while eating a decent, well-balanced diet every day, you shouldn't be trying for it.

My body role models were always the movie stars of the forties and fifties, ie. Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe. My body is more than capable of doing that without any starvation, and I haven't had any complaints.

I hate hate hate water. I have to really force myself and I never come anywhere near 8 glasses. *Sighs*

I dun want this thread to turn all gross, but does anyone think colon cleansing is a legitimate weight loss aid or is it just nonsense?

Not an expert on this, by any stretch, but wouldn't that be a quick fix? Eating proper foods, drinking lots of (sorry) water, fiber, roughage, exercise ... those are lifelong things that will improve colon health, as I understand it.

I've heard that colon "cleansing" can become just as addictive as bulimia, too.

Drink lots of water , 8 to 10 glasses per day..stay away from diet and regular sodas. Decrease salt intake.

Good luck Madeline

I hate hate hate water. I have to really force myself and I never come anywhere near 8 glasses. *Sighs*

I dun want this thread to turn all gross, but does anyone think colon cleansing is a legitimate weight loss aid or is it just nonsense?

I don't think it necessarily has to be plain water. I hate drinking plain water myself, so I drink SoBe 0-calorie LifeWater. Juice also works. Anything water-based that doesn't have sugar, caffeine, and all that crap in it should do.

I keep a two-liter container of water in the frig and need to replace it every day. I take several vitamins throughout the day, rather than just swallowing them all at once, and all go down with a big slug of water. Then there's the usual thirst at various times during the day and I never go to bed without a big glass of water on the bedstand, which is always gone by morning, so without even realizing it, I'm drinking plenty of water. But if I had to concentrate on drinking eight 8-oz glasses every day, I'd soon learn to hate water too.

I can drink tonic water or sparkling water but oddly, they are harder than hell to find here...I usually have to resort to running to the liquor store. I ♥ carbonation.

I have to disagree on one point. The "beautiful bodies" of today are almost always unhealthily, unnaturally thin, and a terrible role model. If you can't achieve a look and a body type while eating a decent, well-balanced diet every day, you shouldn't be trying for it.

My body role models were always the movie stars of the forties and fifties, ie. Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe. My body is more than capable of doing that without any starvation, and I haven't had any complaints.

Yeah, role model was a bad choice of words.

Only one more suggestion and that's for exercise. The very best incentive to do it is to put on the old Richard Simmons video "Dancing to the Oldies" (or something like that). I was always at my slimest when I was doing the club scene and dancing my ass off, and still find myself prancing around like an idiot whenever one of my favorite old rock songs comes on the radio.

Losing weight is simply an activity. Lower your calories intake without starving. Remember to calculate your metabolism. The metabolism is a large part of your calories burned in an average day. To win the battle, know how many calories you consume in a day.
Only eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. Do not snack when you are bored. That is a terrible habit and it just makes you obese.
Hope it helpful!

Last edited:
Dieting really is a fail for most people. If you cannot sustain the change you are going to go abck to your old weight. Only change what you can continue from this point forward. Reduce portion size very slowly.

jogging, and smaller portions are key. the main thing is break your habits of eating and use smaller pates to eat from. also no 2nd serving.

Forum List

Back