How Do You Lose Weight?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Ever wanted to take off a few pounds? Were you successful? Let's discuss diet and weight loss, guys.

I have tried every theory of weight loss or weight maintenance under the sun. (I've been "naturally skinny" all my life until the past five years or so, and have grown a tad fluffy with time.) In my 20's my doctor gave me speed -- man, that works like a charm! The guy who invents an appetite suppressant that has no bad side effects will make a fortune, and I gather they are making some progress that-a-way.

In my 30's I tried exercise. I was diligent as hell...seven days a week, mostly strength training. Never lost an ounce nor did I become any stronger. Exercise is unbeatable for stress management, though, I will say that much.

In my 40's keeping weight on was the problem, not getting it off. I blame the yo-yo hormones a lady has at an older age for this. Unfortunately, "skinny" is a bad look for an older lady.

Now, I am kinda sorta just watching what I eat, walking every day, blah blah blah. I'd like to take off about 15 lbs and nothing is happening. I'm beginning to think it's because I am meant to have the extra padding.

What say you? Ever wondered if the diet gurus are full of shit?

Diet "gurus" are absolutely full of shit. I took off about 25 lbs of little people weight and the biggest thing that kicked my butt into gear was simply keeping a food diary. Trust me, when you actually write down what you eat and take a look at it at the end of the day you might be surprised and a little embarrassed at the amount of crap you put in your body that you didn't even think about - and it's all there in black and white to keep you honest.

if you did strength training and didn't get stronger then you were seriously doing it wrong.

Diet "gurus" are absolutely full of shit. I took off about 25 lbs of little people weight and the biggest thing that kicked my butt into gear was simply keeping a food diary. Trust me, when you actually write down what you eat and take a look at it at the end of the day you might be surprised and a little embarrassed at the amount of crap you put in your body that you didn't even think about - and it's all there in black and white to keep you honest.

your post and your avatar = :lol::lol:

Ever wanted to take off a few pounds? Were you successful? Let's discuss diet and weight loss, guys.

I have tried every theory of weight loss or weight maintenance under the sun. (I've been "naturally skinny" all my life until the past five years or so, and have grown a tad fluffy with time.) In my 20's my doctor gave me speed -- man, that works like a charm! The guy who invents an appetite suppressant that has no bad side effects will make a fortune, and I gather they are making some progress that-a-way.

In my 30's I tried exercise. I was diligent as hell...seven days a week, mostly strength training. Never lost an ounce nor did I become any stronger. Exercise is unbeatable for stress management, though, I will say that much.

In my 40's keeping weight on was the problem, not getting it off. I blame the yo-yo hormones a lady has at an older age for this. Unfortunately, "skinny" is a bad look for an older lady.

Now, I am kinda sorta just watching what I eat, walking every day, blah blah blah. I'd like to take off about 15 lbs and nothing is happening. I'm beginning to think it's because I am meant to have the extra padding.

What say you? Ever wondered if the diet gurus are full of shit?

Eat sensibly, walk and take up pilates or callantics or, preferably, both.

your post and your avatar = :lol::lol:

:lol::lol:

Didn't even think about that. Irony, wot?

The weightloss program outlined in this video is tried and true and guaranteed to work if you actually follow it.

[youtube]VKs0oEIVOck[/youtube]

When I was stationed overseas Far East Network and AFRTS would run these 30 second spots on loosing weight. They went like this:

"If you want to lose weight, exercise your body more, and exercise your mouth less".

The weightloss program outlined in this video is tried and true and guaranteed to work if you actually follow it.

[youtube]VKs0oEIVOck[/youtube]

This is funny because it's true. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Move to another country where they have real food ?

Eat fresh, home cooked food.
Always eat 3 or 4 small meals a day and park your car as far away from Walmart as you can. Cut your own damn grass. Wash your own car.Paint your own house and clean your own gutters and flew,chop your own firewood, shovel your own snow,rake your own leaves, if applicable.
If not find a place to swim about half hour, 3 or 4 times a week.
In other words...be un-murkin.

Oh. And throw the fucking TV in a dumpster. You're all dumbed down enough.

Wake up early.

Start smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee.

Continue doing same until about 5 PM.

Eat one modest meal a day

Drink more coffee and smoke more cigarettes after dinner until bedtime.

Repeat that reigment for decades.

You'll lose weight, I promise.

Wake up early.

Start smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee.

Continue doing same until about 5 PM.

Eat one modest meal a day

Drink more coffee and smoke more cigarettes after dinner until bedtime.

Repeat that reigment for decades.

You'll lose weight,
I promise.
I never had a weight problem until I quit smoking 22 years ago. True story.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
I dropped 5 pounds in one week. Didn't drink beer, only water. Ate smaller portions, no snacking. Rode my bike to work each day, then again in the evening.

The following week I said "fuck this shit" and went back to my old habits.

That's it- habits. Dicipline. Consistency.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
I lost about 10 pounds and one size by chucking out the sugar. It was an experiment so to say. I'm just a SWEET tea demon during summer and sugar in my 3-4 cups of coffee every morning. I switched to Splenda. It was so hot here this summer with major heat/humidity numbers and I was not able to do any walking so it was mostly a "sugar free thing for the weight loss.

I'm still using Splenda but weather has made walking possible again. I have the advantage of going on flat surface, up and down minor hills, up and down a couple of very major hills, up and down stairs - it's about a 2 mile trek when I do the whole routine. So do exercise at least a couple days a week and I was walking it twice a day at one point.

Cereal is a good thing - I use fruit when I can and I use whole milk as I have an aversion to putting water on my cereal. Wheat bread is better than white bread.

Eat fresh food as much as you can - I use frozen veggies as a substitute when fresh is out of season and puny. Eat smaller portions. Don't fry anything - grill it or bake/roast it. Use olive oil - it's expensive, but it's healthier and also the only oil that is not tampered with. Whatever you cook on stove top, cook slowly with lid - it will accumulate it's own moisture from the veggies or whatever. Better yet use a steamer.

I nibble all day between meals - fruit, raw veggies. I do allow myself sugar-free ice cream :D, but very, very seldom eat any kind of junk food lilke chips, etc. Water is good - especially if you're exercising. I don't eat anything that says "sugar free, no cholesterol, no fat" on the same package because it has no moisture and tastes like shit.

Last edited:
I lost 25 lbs and 5-6 in off my waist by keeping strict track of my calorie intake. After two months I didn't have to anymore, because my new eating habits started to become ingrained. Cut out the junk and count on going to bed feeling hungry some nights. If you keep that up and maintain some sort of physical regimen, daily brisk walking for me, you should be able to lose and keep it off. It takes some willpower, though. I wish I had the same fortitude when it comes to smoking. :redface:

Food regime: lean protein, lots of fresh vegetables, raw nuts, a bit of fruit, low fat dairy

Exercise: an hour of walking a day

And drink lots of water

Forum List

Back