How Do You Imagine The World Would Be Different...

The answer to the OP is: The world would be vastly less prosperous and less free, and countless millions more would have died between then and now.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me how you justify this comment...

I wrote a rather long post addressing that very point. You even responded to it.

Don't feel you have to finish the whole bottle in one sitting.

Last edited:
The answer to the OP is: The world would be vastly less prosperous and less free, and countless millions more would have died between then and now.

I wrote a rather long post addressing that very point. You even responded to it.

your second post, much as I liked it, doesn't nearly cover the way you talked outta your ass in your first post...

next round's on me... :)

Had the South been successful in succeeding, the Confederacy would have fragmented, Texas being the first to leave the Confederacy. The remaining states would have been a balkanized group of minor states quarreling incesantly among themselves, sometimes with guns. Slavery might have eventually been eliminated, but that would have involved bloodshed within the Confederacy.

There would have been no United States of America to be the armory of the Western World in two World Wars. The world would be a very differant place today, a less pleasant one.

if, in the early 1860's, the Confederacy had been allowed to peaceably go its own way...?

And if KY had decided not to stay out of it, that may have happened.

KY is the only state to have both a confederate and a union capitol at the same time.
Kinda hard to stay out of it.
Eastern KY wanted to stay out of it and western KY mostly supported the south and northern KY supported the Union.

if, in the early 1860's, the Confederacy had been allowed to peaceably go its own way...?

And if KY had decided not to stay out of it, that may have happened.

KY is the only state to have both a confederate and a union capitol at the same time.
Kinda hard to stay out of it.
Eastern KY wanted to stay out of it and western KY mostly supported the south and northern KY supported the Union.

I am inclined to think the following:

1. The United States of America (that is the North and the West) would have developed pretty much the way the USA have developed historically and would still have become the major World Power.

2. The Confederate States of America would have known a development similar to that of Mexico. It might even have expanded to include Mexico and parts of the Caribbean (notably Cuba) to become a sort of Gulf Confederacy, much less industrially developed than the USA.

3. Whether both countries would have remained at peace would have depended primarily on
-) potential conflict once the USA sought to create something like the Panama Canal, thereby "encircling" the CSA
-) relations with European powers

France was already in Mexico, and other European powers were waiting to see how things played out. They would not have failed to seek opportunity amid a fractured Union.

France was already in Mexico, and other European powers were waiting to see how things played out. They would not have failed to seek opportunity amid a fractured Union.

True, but then again France was also heavily engaged in Europe where things were heating up too and even without the Confederacy the USA was a formidable power.

True, but then again France was also heavily engaged in Europe where things were heating up too and even without the Confederacy the USA was a formidable power.

And reminding the European powers of that kept Seward quite busy during the war.

The USA and CSA would have fought a war over the WESTERN states within a decade or two.

In all likihood the CSA would have tried to take over Cuba and Mexico, too.

Forum List

Back