How do you folks put up with windows? Windows 7 safer? Pheh...

The fact is, I don't think any malware program in the world will stop malware that we download on purpose. You get the little popup asking if you want such and such to make changes to your computer--you click yes--and it's a done deal.

You are applying his comment to an obscure version of Linux, which would not be the 30% market grabber. That would be Ubuntu, which is easily updated.
I was simply making one reference to make a specific point, ya know, like you guys do in politics. Besides the current top dog is Mint ever since Ubuntu came out with Unity.
Is Mint easy to update? Can you set it to automatically update?

Yep.

Most linux builds check for updates if you are connected to the interwebs..

You are applying his comment to an obscure version of Linux, which would not be the 30% market grabber. That would be Ubuntu, which is easily updated.
I was simply making one reference to make a specific point, ya know, like you guys do in politics. Besides the current top dog is Mint ever since Ubuntu came out with Unity.

:eusa_eh: That wasn't the point I was accentuating, why are you harping on it? Oh, that's right you're a political "debater", no wonder you're harping on it........ :eusa_whistle:

:eusa_eh: That wasn't the point I was accentuating, why are you harping on it? Oh, that's right you're a political "debater", no wonder you're harping on it........ :eusa_whistle:

I didn't accuse you of harping on anything. You said that users wouldn't go to the trouble of updating through the terminal, didn't you?

I was responding to that specific point.

I didn't accuse you of harping on anything. You said that users wouldn't go to the trouble of updating through the terminal, didn't you?

No, I didn't, I used an extreme example that applies to my case just to make a point, like in politics........ :eusa_whistle:
The point you obviously missed or chose to ignore, is must people are clueless when it comes to their computers. They know how to turn it on, surf the web, send and receive email and play solitaire, some actually know how to use Office.

No, I didn't, I used an extreme example that applies to my case just to make a point, like in politics........ :eusa_whistle:
The point you obviously missed or chose to ignore, is must people are clueless when it comes to their computers. They know how to turn it on, surf the web, send and receive email and play solitaire, some actually know how to use Office.

:) Okay you don't have to rub it in. I am one of those who uses a computer effectively for what I do, and who intuitively knows how to run most programs and what most of the run of the mill programs are supposed to do. But when it comes to the more techie stuff--like Hombre's hard drive problem we've been dealing with on another thread--most of the stuff you guys talk about is pure Greek to me.

The problem is I lack sufficient interest to WANT to learn all that stuff so don't bother. (That's assuming I have the aptitude to learn it which is also questionable.) I always have you guys to bail me out when I get in a mess. :)

Well, then the OS should come with auto-updating turned on. The great unwashed, since they barely know how to turn their machines on (according to you), will never turn the updating off. Problem solved. :)

Well, then the OS should come with auto-updating turned on. The great unwashed, since they barely know how to turn their machines on (according to you), will never turn the updating off. Problem solved. :)

Uummm, are you trying to get my goat or are you honestly that obtuse?

Ummmm......I was responding to this:

You missed the point. I use Linux myself as well as Windows so I'm familiar with both's strengths and weaknesses. The common end user has little clue how to secure Windows let alone Linux and they would make up the bulk of users if Linux ever grabbed 30% of the market share.

Hell, I'm using Bodhi Linux on an older Dell and all updates have to be done via Terminal, apparently it doesn't seem to do auto updates. How many common end users do you think would even know what Terminal is let alone know how to use it?

!

You missed the point. I use Linux myself as well as Windows so I'm familiar with both's strengths and weaknesses. The common end user has little clue how to secure Windows let alone Linux and they would make up the bulk of users if Linux ever grabbed 30% of the market share.

Hell, I'm using Bodhi Linux on an older Dell and all updates have to be done via Terminal, apparently it doesn't seem to do auto updates. How many common end users do you think would even know what Terminal is let alone know how to use it?

!

Taken out of context, go figure. Yup, obtuse. Why don't you go fuck with someone else, I'm really not in the mood.

!

Taken out of context, go figure. Yup, obtuse. Why don't you go fuck with someone else, I'm really not in the mood.
Then what's the proper context? I thought both are comments were in context with this thread, which is about the relative security of each OS. :dunno:

!

Then what's the proper context? I thought both are comments were in context with this thread, which is about the relative security of each OS. :dunno:

I already explained in a previous response that it was an extreme example, please don't tell me you missed that, that would have been highly unlikely. I do have a question for you, are you a Journalism student? Is this a homework assignment for "How to take things out of context and create non-issues 101"?

My wife's laptop finally gave up the ghost...if it was one of my boxes I would buy a system from zareason and wait the 4-5 days till it arrives. Not the better half...so I went to Besy Buy and bought her a laptop. I really didn't want a Windows system on the network...but I want peace in the home more.
We haven't had this thing for 3 whole days yet and right off the bat it has spyware on it. Jesus Christ...3 days!! Windows 7 is safer???

Thank God I am paranoid about Windows and checked her system. Right off the bat I noticed a new icon in the system tray called "Relevant Knowledge"....wtf is this...
Sure enough it is a website tracker, knows all of the applications you have, your email accounts etc. etc. F*ckiing Winblows. :mad:

I was curious as to how it got on here. Turns out she wanted to change the desktop background, she thought she was downloading wallpaper but instead was downloading a theme...which also installed the spyware.

It is an error 40... it sitting 40 centimetres from the screen. Only way that can get on your Windows 7 machine is if someone allowed it. So either you or your wife said yes when you should have said no, or you or your wife installed a program and this "gem" followed with it and you did not notice the screen where it asked if it could install it self.. quite common... usually it is a tool bar or a browser, but it can be anything. And as you found out... it was your wife.

Only reason this is not happening on your linux box, is that they cant be bothered to make the it for linux since no one uses it.

Blaming Windows for the actions of the user is just lame. It can happen just as well on OSX, Linux .. hell even dos!

As I said, it was an "error 40".

Drink caffeine much?
I said it was her doing in the first post...thing is...she doesn't know the difference.

My wife's laptop finally gave up the ghost...if it was one of my boxes I would buy a system from zareason and wait the 4-5 days till it arrives. Not the better half...so I went to Besy Buy and bought her a laptop. I really didn't want a Windows system on the network...but I want peace in the home more.
We haven't had this thing for 3 whole days yet and right off the bat it has spyware on it. Jesus Christ...3 days!! Windows 7 is safer???

Thank God I am paranoid about Windows and checked her system. Right off the bat I noticed a new icon in the system tray called "Relevant Knowledge"....wtf is this...
Sure enough it is a website tracker, knows all of the applications you have, your email accounts etc. etc. F*ckiing Winblows. :mad:

I was curious as to how it got on here. Turns out she wanted to change the desktop background, she thought she was downloading wallpaper but instead was downloading a theme...which also installed the spyware.

It is an error 40... it sitting 40 centimetres from the screen. Only way that can get on your Windows 7 machine is if someone allowed it. So either you or your wife said yes when you should have said no, or you or your wife installed a program and this "gem" followed with it and you did not notice the screen where it asked if it could install it self.. quite common... usually it is a tool bar or a browser, but it can be anything. And as you found out... it was your wife.

Only reason this is not happening on your linux box, is that they cant be bothered to make the it for linux since no one uses it.

Blaming Windows for the actions of the user is just lame. It can happen just as well on OSX, Linux .. hell even dos!

As I said, it was an "error 40".

Drink caffeine much?
I said it was her doing in the first post...thing is...she doesn't know the difference.

Then why blame Windows 7? She would have infected a linux box as well if the code was written for linux... As I said, an error 40 :)

Forum List

Back