How do you feel about known gays/lesbians as teachers...

I think some of these nutters are suggesting that it is OK to have gay teachers as long as nobody knows they are gay. What an original concept. Maybe they should try something like that in the military?

Actually, the military had a good system prior to 1980.

It was left to the discretion of unit commanders if the service members behavior was a problem.

That kept guys from using "gay" as a "get out of the Army free" card while allowing them the latitude to get rid of real problem children.

After 1980, they introduced a "no tolerance" policy that was largely ignored unless guys wanted to get out and outed themselves (or claimed to be gay to get out when they found out there weren't any color TV's like their recruiters said there would be) or were real serious problems, such as harrassing straight service members.

DADT really did nothing to change things, because that was kind of the defacto policy before then.

Now the yardbirds can't get out and the problem children will have to find other excuses to get rid of them.

Read "Conduct Unbecoming" by Randy Shilts and then come back and tell us what a wonderful policy the military had prior to and during DADT.

...in the K-12 school system? Should they be banned or accepted in the K-12 program of education? Do you believe that there is discrimination towards the LGBT community in general? Just curious here as the military seems to be dropping it's long held reservation about accepting people into their ranks that are known to be in the alternative lifestyles. Does the military acceptance of queers/lesbians make those in the alternative lifestyles more acceptable to you?

Accepted, unless there is some sort of deviant behavior that would threaten the safety and well being of the students. Whats the harm?

Let us know where personal sexual habits is an appropriate topic for math, science, reading, civics, etc.

Thanks.

How is knowing they are gay knowing their "personal sexual habits" exactly? Growing up I knew which of my teachers was married. Does that constitute knowing their "personal sexual habits"? I know which of my children's teachers are married and I know who their spouses are. Are they flaunting their sexuality?
Knowing a teacher's personal sexual preferences has nothing to do with learning reading, math, science, civics, etc. Absolutely nothing to do with it. Knowing their personal political views has nothing to do with it, either.

It's a simple fact, yet it seems it's offensive to you.

You missed the point.

How is knowing they are gay knowing their "personal sexual habits" exactly? Growing up I knew which of my teachers was married. Does that constitute knowing their "personal sexual habits"? I know which of my children's teachers are married and I know who their spouses are. Are they flaunting their sexuality?
Knowing a teacher's personal sexual preferences has nothing to do with learning reading, math, science, civics, etc. Absolutely nothing to do with it. Knowing their personal political views has nothing to do with it, either.

You missed the point.
Then let me know the point.

The policy in a regular work place should be not to talk about sex, religion, or politics.

That should be doubly true in a K-12 classroom.

Let us know where personal sexual habits is an appropriate topic for math, science, reading, civics, etc.

Thanks.

So it is okay to know that your teacher is married...just as long as they aren't married to someone of the same sex? Did you know if your teachers were married or not? Did it effect your ability to do math, reading or science?

...in the K-12 school system? Should they be banned or accepted in the K-12 program of education? Do you believe that there is discrimination towards the LGBT community in general? Just curious here as the military seems to be dropping it's long held reservation about accepting people into their ranks that are known to be in the alternative lifestyles. Does the military acceptance of queers/lesbians make those in the alternative lifestyles more acceptable to you?

I don't see how gay teachers would at all be different than heterosexual teachers. So no, I don't have any problem whatsoever.

The policy in a regular work place should be not to talk about sex, religion, or politics.

Please tell me that you don't still hold those views concerning sexual education and political science.

Quick question
How many pedophiles have homosexual or bi-sexual tendencies? Does anyone have the true numbers on this nothing right leaning or left leaning.

I don't understand the question. Pedophilia whether same sex or not is completely different from homosexuality or bisexuality. What makes some dude attracted to little boys isn't really the same thing that makes a man attracted to another man.

Teachers are supposed to be role models to the kids they are teaching.

When the children find out their teacher is engaged in this perverted lifestyle.

It sends the kids the wrong signal that homosexuality is acceptable and normal. :doubt:

Homosexuality is acceptable and normal. It's not 'the norm', but it is normal.

Can't wait until your kind fades off.

Last edited:

You know that isn't the case
How many teachers have lost their jobs and went to jail for doing inappropriate things with their students?

So it is okay to know that your teacher is married...just as long as they aren't married to someone of the same sex? Did you know if your teachers were married or not? Did it effect your ability to do math, reading or science?
What does marriage have to do with anything I said?

And, no, I didn't know if my teachers were married or not. They were too busy talking about history, math, English, science, etc.

Read "Conduct Unbecoming" by Randy Shilts and then come back and tell us what a wonderful policy the military had prior to and during DADT.

I was in the military at that time, prior to DADT. Worked just fine as far as I was concerned.

It isn't about "you". It's about the mission.

Slavery worked fine for the slave owner too...doesn't mean it was a good "program" now does it?

I love it when straight people say "there was nothing wrong with DADT or the policies prior to that". Well, there was if you were gay.

Thanks.

B-b-but....

Yeah, yeah...I know...that's "different". They can't explain how it's different...it just is. :rolleyes:

B-b-but....

Yeah, yeah...I know...that's "different". They can't explain how it's different...it just is. :rolleyes:
Why don't you let us know how an educator being gay (or straight) is pertinent to educating children in anything other than a health class? (Even then, the personal life of the educator isn't all that relevant, either.)

And, no, I didn't know if my teachers were married or not. They were too busy talking about history, math, English, science, etc.

If they are married to someone, it makes it a lot easier to know if they are straight or gay. I knew which of my teachers was straight and which ones were gay. It did not effect my ability to learn in any way. (or my ability to rhyme, apparently :D )

Last edited:

If they are married to someone, it makes it a lot easier to know if they are straight or gay. I knew which of my teachers was straight and which ones were gay. It did not effect my ability to learn in any way.
Gays can be married today, too.

And, I do know one of my teachers was married, now that I think of it. Her daughter was one of my best friends and I was often at their house.

What that has to do with educating me is still a mystery to me. It didn't affect me either.

So, what exactly is your issue with my thinking that an educator's personal life is irrelevant to my education? Their sexual preferences, their political preferences, boxers or briefs, what color car, their religion....

What does that have to do with education?

Thanks.

So what you are saying is that male gay teachers should change their voices so they don't sound effeminate, and Females should wear flowery dresses and not sport chain drive wallets?

Seriously....How many teachers do you think are out there on the first day of school saying.... "Class.... today we are going to talk about Homosexuality...in case you didn't know, I'm gay....." If you think that's what's going on in our schools, you're irrational.

Even in my day, back in the 70's and 80's kids pretty much knew or at least thought they knew which teachers were gay. It was one of many topics of discussion that kids had....and still do.

As far as personal political views are concerned, I would have ZERO problem with my kids knowing a teachers Political view, as long as they presented both sides in an equal manner. A kid may ask a teacher....why are you a Republican, or why are you a Democrat....and the teacher should answer honestly... but not disparage the other side.

Because, unlike most of you... I don't care if my kids choose a different political path than mine. They know my views and it's OK if they don't share them. I just want them to be involved in the process, not a person who bitches and moans about government and never lifts a finger to try to change anything.

So what you are saying is
Nope.

Forum List

Back