how do you feel about jury duty?

and that was directed to whom? or just in general....how many companies allow you to turn in your juror's pay then pay you ..your regular pay?

One state at least that I looked at makes your employer pay you your hourly rate for up to two weeks, IIRC. It's Vermont or CT, can't remember which.

Good for The People of the Great State of Vermont!!!

High-5!, Atta-Boy! & :woohoo:

What's up with the rest of us?

"This is why we look stupid from space" :eusa_think: This is why there's no tourists spending Credits here? :eusa_eh:

-Joe

Voice of God in a prophets head or just the average thoughts of an average Joe.......?

I'll NEVER tell!!!

:muahaha:

-Joe

Last edited:
Jury duty should be voluntary, since we do pay taxes. The theory is sound, but it really doesn't make as much of a difference in sentencing anyway, and to make it an obligation just makes some people bitter. Making the employers pay for the time is just as bad as underpaying the jurors.

Jury duty should be voluntary, since we do pay taxes. The theory is sound, but it really doesn't make as much of a difference in sentencing anyway, and to make it an obligation just makes some people bitter. Making the employers pay for the time is just as bad as underpaying the jurors.

Jury duty should be the best part of a persons day!

It shouldn't be a pain in the ass, it should be a mini lotto... How else are we ALL to be heard?

-Joe

Most people called for jury duty, DO NOT SERVE their time and the government allows near every excuse to get out of this duty....if you need the money and can't miss work, is one that is acceptable, if you have an important meeting, it is acceptable etc...to not serve.

also, only if you are registered to vote, do you get called for jury duty.

personally, I believe we should move to a professional jury system.

People trained in logic and legal procedure representing an unbiased cross section of the population would be better jurors than some Podunk redneck with a 5th grade education or a person who resents the fact that he has to take days weeks or months out of his life to sit on a jury.

"Let's make up a government bureaucracy to handle a pain in the ass civic duty...???"

Who the fuck is going to gravitate to that job?!?!?

Who the fuck are you and what have you done with Skull Pilot?!?!

-Joe

Agreed. Flies int he face of "trial by a jury of your peers", but given that many of us are peerless when we are measured against what most juries look like, I think the time has come to at least CONSIDER such an idea.

Well among other things if that system is designed correctly they're not likely to be intimidated by judges like MOST juries are.

If they think that the witness is a liar or the evidence is dubious or the law is wrong on its face, they won't CARE (assuming they have job security) if the judge tells them they MUST give what they find offensive a pass.

As should no member of any jury!

When the fuck did we give judges the power to arrest us when we did not agree with them?

Oh, yea... Back in the 1800's when we behaved like children!

That is... if those two episodes of Bonanza were historically accurate... :eusa_whistle:

-Joe

Last edited:
the last one i got called on....was too sillie...it was civil and they were fussing over a tree stand....if i had had to serve i would have been in jail for contempt...dont treat me like i am stupid till i prove i am...and dont talk down to me...i dont give a flying fuck who you are...i am there giving up a day or more's pay with my boss asking when i am coming back to work...listening to total bullshit...one guy...got excused cause he was a christian and couldnt judge anyone...damn i nearly had to bite my tongue off to shut up on that little comment and all...

way i see it...as a taxpayer, i am paying all their mothering salaries in some form or fashion...direct taxes, indirect taxes and levies ...so forth and so on....and i am there over a mother deer tree stand????

We need to have people risk buying 1,000 people a beer in 1 year if they feel they must have arbitration by a jury instead of by a professional judge and they loose.

Qualifications and quality of 'professional' judge is the story of another thread. (I hope)

-Joe

Most people called for jury duty, DO NOT SERVE their time and the government allows near every excuse to get out of this duty....if you need the money and can't miss work, is one that is acceptable, if you have an important meeting, it is acceptable etc...to not serve.

That has me wondering here Care. I had not consider this before but it does get my brain spinning. One of Rod's sisters has lived here her whole life. She has owned her own home her for what seems forever. She is a registered Republican...One does not have a choice but to designate one or the other when registering to vote here. She has never been called for jury duty, ever. I have asked that same, "have you ever been called to jury duty" here to other long time residents and they have never been called for jury duty either. I know when Rod and I voted here last they neglected to list our write-ins on the list of votes counted. We did that on purpose. I assume out votes were not counted.

I served as a juror on a murder case once. The murderer was a 15 year old kid being tried as an adult. The case wasn't about innocence or guilt, it was to determine if it was 1st degree or 2nd degree murder. My oldest daughter was 15 at the time.
9 of us 12 on the jury openly wept as we announced our verdict. Guilty, 1st degree murder. After the case was over, I swore to myself that I would never sit on a jury for a 15 year old kid again. It flat out sucked.

Maybe if a few more of us, with a small economic windfall as incentive from the rest of us, served on the juries of this kids first two... *YAWN*... offenses, you wouldn't have to.

-Joe

I served as a juror on a murder case once. The murderer was a 15 year old kid being tried as an adult. The case wasn't about innocence or guilt, it was to determine if it was 1st degree or 2nd degree murder. My oldest daughter was 15 at the time.
9 of us 12 on the jury openly wept as we announced our verdict. Guilty, 1st degree murder. After the case was over, I swore to myself that I would never sit on a jury for a 15 year old kid again. It flat out sucked.

I am biased for the cops all the time so I'm no good in a court. I always side with what the cop says, period, and don't even care about the rest of the evidence. I have befriended too many cops and feel too sorry for the crap they go through.

Too bad you don't serve. Good, hardworking cops could use an advocate. That's a job you have to love.

-Joe

People trained in logic and legal procedure representing an unbiased cross section of the population would be better jurors than some Podunk redneck with a 5th grade education or a person who resents the fact that he has to take days weeks or months out of his life to sit on a jury.

We can't manage to keep judges who are trained in logic and legal procedure "unbiased" it would be impossible to do so with jury members.. this is a bad bad idea.

Since judges are appointed by politicians who are more concerned with their own quest for power and influence, why on earth do you expect judges to be unbiased?

We should go back to electing judges so they are actually representing the people.

And it'd a better idea to have a panelof jurors picked not because they are reasonable, intelligent people but rather because they don't read the newspapers or are of a certain race or gender?

Are people who do not understand the science of evidentiary procedure and forensics are better than people with a working knowledge of forensics and who will not be confused by so called expert testimony?

Why would you want the responsibility of electing a part of the ruling class when you are willing to hire professionals watch them do their work?

-Joe

Last edited:
If they would make the the whole process less painful, more people would be willing to serve. Compensation for jury duty should be raised. People think of it as an intolerable chore they need to get out of.

I think it is people who work for a living try to get out of it. It shouldn't be an economic hardship, it should be a slight, but smile making economic windfall. A day off with reasonable pay, at least, and no consequences from your employer.

-Joe

someday i will figure out how jurors are selected...

my husband has petit jury duty in the western district. he was to call in may 4th or the friday precending after 5 pm....we call....dont report but call back next friday...say what? petit jury is a 3 week time period..now bear in mind, we are about 1.45 mintues from asheville....so we call friday...call back this tuesday after 5 pm...what are the chances we are gonna remember this stuff...

so do you do jury duty or do you do your best to get out of it?

myself, i do it....i was so happy when they took the little old lady in front of me....i got credit for doing nothing...but i got a 2 year pass...which apparently if you do jury duty for any the state or local....you get a free 2 pass from both. i have been called twice since we have lived here....my husband has served and been called more than 8 times....my son has been called 3 times but has moved out of the county.

I did jury duty 20 years ago in England - all the lawyers (called Barristers over there) and the judge wore white wigs, just as they've done for hundreds of years. 2 cases in 2 weeks - one burglary, one indecent assault. We convicted on the first (we were so unsure about finding him guilty, then after the verdict the clerk of court read out a string of priors as long as your arm), and acquitted the second for lack of evidence, even though we suspected he was probably guilty.

It's not like it is on L.A. Law. Trial Attorneys are nothing like as quick witted as TV would have us believe, LOL. Worthwhile experience, even though it was a complete pain taking 2 weeks off work.

It must have been one RICH mother-fucker who got that tradition started. :lol:

-Joe

Last edited:

and that was directed to whom? or just in general....how many companies allow you to turn in your juror's pay then pay you ..your regular pay?

One state at least that I looked at makes your employer pay you your hourly rate for up to two weeks, IIRC. It's Vermont or CT, can't remember which.

We get paid, but I work for a municipality so I suppose it's a quid pro quo type of thing. Only been called twice and actually chosen once, on a civil case. It was settled before a decision had to be made.

I'm always ready to see some useless knucklehead fry.. Therefore, I'll likely never get called... :cool:

someday i will figure out how jurors are selected...

my husband has petit jury duty in the western district. he was to call in may 4th or the friday precending after 5 pm....we call....dont report but call back next friday...say what? petit jury is a 3 week time period..now bear in mind, we are about 1.45 mintues from asheville....so we call friday...call back this tuesday after 5 pm...what are the chances we are gonna remember this stuff...

so do you do jury duty or do you do your best to get out of it?

myself, i do it....i was so happy when they took the little old lady in front of me....i got credit for doing nothing...but i got a 2 year pass...which apparently if you do jury duty for any the state or local....you get a free 2 pass from both. i have been called twice since we have lived here....my husband has served and been called more than 8 times....my son has been called 3 times but has moved out of the county.

I did jury duty 20 years ago in England - all the lawyers (called Barristers over there) and the judge wore white wigs, just as they've done for hundreds of years. 2 cases in 2 weeks - one burglary, one indecent assault. We convicted on the first (we were so unsure about finding him guilty, then after the verdict the clerk of court read out a string of priors as long as your arm), and acquitted the second for lack of evidence, even though we suspected he was probably guilty.

It's not like it is on L.A. Law. Trial Attorneys are nothing like as quick witted as TV would have us believe, LOL. Worthwhile experience, even though it was a complete pain taking 2 weeks off work.

It must have been one RICH mother-fucker who got that tradition started. :lol:

-Joe

LOL I wouldn't be surprised!!!

That's not true anymore. They found people weren't registering to vote, just for that reason. So now they can get your name for jury duty if you have a driver license too.

Forum List

Back