How do you feel about employee evaluations?

Employee evaluations?

I don't give mine a formal report, but they all know how I value them. I always talk highly of them when talking to other people, too.
One of the most important things a boss can do is stand behind their employees. That's awesome.

I don't think all employees are motivated the same way. Some people might view this as phony and sinister. Others might view it as validation. Others might dismiss it and pay it no mind. There are differing philosophies on how to treat employees. I think that has a lot to do with their hiring strategy. If you are so desperate for employees that you will hire anybody who applies then you might treat your employees more harshly. If you are very careful about who you hire then you may treat your employees with a lot more respect.

I think smaller companies can afford to be more picky with their hiring. Larger companies just have to hire 20 people quickly. That is probably why the difference in management styles exist. I personally don't like working for companies that treat me like a criminal. That's just me. Others might thrive under the scrutiny and view it as an opportunity to prove themselves.

Employee evaluations?

I don't give mine a formal report, but they all know how I value them. I always talk highly of them when talking to other people, too.

Aren't you vulnerable to requests for higher pay? They know you like them. They'll start to expect more.

Bigger companies make sure their employees know how worthless they are. That reduces the potential for the awkward conversation of granting or denying a pay increase.

Two of my employees make more than I do. I have never felt particularly vulnerable.

How do you feel about employee evaluations?

I'm in a Union. If they don't like my performance, they can talk to Me AND my Representatives about it. No claims that I don't do MORE than I'm required to (something I've seen in other places I've workdd).

Translation: "I'm a goldbricking slacker, I hide behind the skirts of a union, and do the bare minimum to not get shit-canned."

Translation: "I'm a goldbricking slacker, I hide behind the skirts of a union, and do the bare minimum to not get shit-canned."

LOL. Not quite. My last management evaluation before we went Union was entirely "Meets Expectations " and "Exceeds Expectations". I was even praised for certain things I did above and beyond my job description. Only one problem.....

We were told the expectations were going to increase, with no raise in pay and no bonuses. Doing more work for equal/less compensation didn't sound good to most of us, so we Unionized.

Since we did in 2009, we've averaged a 2.75% raise each year and a 2.9% bonus each year. Management has cut its workforce 25%, given 2 - 1% raises and no bonuses over that time. Sorry, I'd walk out the door before being asked to do more work for less compensation.

Forum List

Back