How do you feel about defense spending?

obama would outsource our defense to Russia and hope they are kindly toward us.

I think I have a pretty good idea of how the tea party feels about welfare (aka crack moms and crack babies). What about the monumental waste that goes on in defense?

As someone who served in the military for 20 years, I can give you plenty of examples of waste, fraud, and abuse in defense spending. And it used to piss me off to no end. In fact, I turned down a very lucrative six figure job with a defense contractor after I retired, in no small part because that contractor was one of the biggest offenders.

With that said, I believe that much of what is seen as "waste" is not really waste. I think there are people who are unfamiliar with military logistics and make assumptions from ignorance.

I think it would be more productive to examine the big picture instead. We should look at the various things we are doing around the world and determine which of those things are truly vital to our survival, and which are not.

I spent 3 years working in defense and found it soul crushing. Massive bureaucracy, massive waste. Although it was a private corporation, internally, it was worse than the worst stereotypes of government inefficiency. You should be glad you turned them down.

Warrior102 is Sotero's cousin, so figure what he says in light of that.

The way he tries to steer every thread in a certain direction with persistent references to anonymous gay sex is not exactly subtle, either.

Every thread I've ever seen him post in includes a reference to gay sex, penis or dildos.

Him being in the closet all these years has driven him completely insane.

The country has to make a decision,

we can't be a big spender on defense, and also have a modern civilized domestic social spending agenda, AND

be a super low tax nation.

The math doesn't work.

1) I agree that we can't have a big defense budget and social spending at the levels we do now
2) We are FAR from a super low tax nation when you look across the board... granted our income tax is not Sweden-esque, and we don't have their country wide VAT, but we are not low when upper middle class and above can reach 50% and above in total taxes paid
3) We are constitutionally charged to have the federal government defend the nation/union
4) We are not constitutionally charged to be every citizen's nanny

I think the answer is simple, like I posted early in the thread... trim the fat in defense spending and audit it well.. then you gut the living shit out of entitlement programs across the board to individuals, businesses, groups, organizations, etc

I think I have a pretty good idea of how the tea party feels about welfare (aka crack moms and crack babies). What about the monumental waste that goes on in defense?

Waste needs to be cut from the top 1st, starting with Obama.

Then get rid of the Career Politicians, 12 years is the maximum any Politician should ever be in office.

Then cut Half of the Congressional Staff.

Make everyone but the President and Vice President take Commercial Airlines to go back and forth to their homes and on vacations.

Then start reducing all other Government waste.

Cut the Military?, hell we do not pay our guys/gals enough to risk their lives as it is!

Then get rid of the Career Politicians, 12 years is the maximum any Politician should ever be in office.

Make everyone but the President and Vice President take Commercial Airlines to go back and forth to their homes and on vacations.

Cut the Military?, hell we do not pay our guys/gals enough to risk their lives as it is!

It's all the whiz bang military machinery that costs the big bucks. Not the personnel.

It's all the whiz bang military machinery that costs the big bucks. Not the personnel.

That Whiz Bang stuff as you call it, SAVES our Peoples Lives ......

Defense spending can be reduced dramatically. We don't need to be able to blow up the planet six or seven times over. We don't need planes that can't fly in the rain or cause pilots to black out. We don't need DOZENS of bases in Germany...and on and on.

Not true. Pensions and Health care are one of our largest defense costs.

Defense spending can be reduced dramatically. We don't need to be able to blow up the planet six or seven times over. We don't need planes that can't fly in the rain or cause pilots to black out. We don't need DOZENS of bases in Germany...and on and on.

What are your credentials? What puts you in a position to know what the USA needs defense wise? Or are you just blowing smoke out your ass again?

That Whiz Bang stuff as you call it, SAVES our Peoples Lives ......

It saves peoples lives who for the most part shouldn't be in harms way in the first place.

What are your credentials? What puts you in a position to know what the USA needs defense wise? Or are you just blowing smoke out your ass again?

Besides a military retiree, an informed citizen. Do you know how many bases we have in Germany?

What I see here is $154b (personnel) out of $654b (total).

Military budget of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I see here is $154b (personnel) out of $654b (total).

Military budget of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In fiscal year 2012 the governments in the United States are expected to spend about 39 percent of Gross Domestic Product. Most of the money goes for health care, education, pensions, defense, and welfare programs. Health care spending is split mainly between federal and state governments; education spending is mainly spent by local governments; pension spending is primarily the federal government’s Social Security program.

http://www.usgovernmentdebt.us/current_spending

Forum List

Back