How do you envision the future of United States?

Jun 29, 2004
Please consider the influx of immigrants, war on terror, outsourcing of jobs or any other economic trends, political climate, the problems with social security, health care and public education, and so on. Will things better or worse overall? How about United States maintaining its position as a superpower considering up-and-coming China or any other country/union of countries?

In all, are you optimistic that USA can keep an edge over other countries for many more years to come and why?

Sometimes I have my doubts when 1/2 the country sees fit to vote for john kerry, American Sellout Extraordinaire.

777 said:
Please consider the influx of immigrants, war on terror, outsourcing of jobs or any other economic trends, political climate, the problems with social security, health care and public education, and so on. Will things better or worse overall? How about United States maintaining its position as a superpower considering up-and-coming China or any other country/union of countries?

In all, are you optimistic that USA can keep an edge over other countries for many more years to come and why?

I am optimistic that the USA can stay No.1 if 4 things happen over the next decade:

1- We recognize the severe threat China is, and begin to re integrate ourselves in Asia with new, stronger alliances and partnerships with nations like India, Japan, Singapore, Indonesia and South Korea.

2- We become more of an "ownership" society. This will reinvigorate the economy and help many citizens, especially those on the fringes of the middle class, regain stability and prosperity.

3- We continue to covertly and overtly support democracy and open government efforts in places like Ukraine, Jordan, Kenya, Afghanistan and Iraq. Closed, corrupt governments controlled by facist, communist or terrorist leaders destablize society and negatively impact the global economy and global security.

4- We revamp and upgrade our 20th century infrastructure (energy, healthcare, education, social/security services, transportation)

Given a continuation of current trends, I see a nation pauperized by its leadership for the benefit of a few oligarchs. I see a Balkanized nation divided along economic and ideological lines. Unless something changes drastically, I don't see a future for the Republic.

Bullypulpit said:
Given a continuation of current trends, I see a nation pauperized by its leadership for the benefit of a few oligarchs. I see a Balkanized nation divided along economic and ideological lines. Unless something changes drastically, I don't see a future for the Republic.

Got to love the forward looking vision from the liberal side of the aisle.

I think we have trying times ahead of us. We would regardless who was President. Because we cant always control whats happened. You may be right and there may be a balkanization. There may even be a civil war. who knows. We dont always get to choose the circumstances that happen in the times we live, but I don't think Americans deep down have lost the values that makes this nation great yet. Until then, we will pull through anything, including "balkanization"

Americans, like all people, but especially Americans have the yearning for freedom. Some of us may be asleep to the threats we face right now but when push comes to shove we will unite and kick butt in defending freedom whether its ours or others.

Got to love the forward looking vision from the liberal side of the aisle.

I think we have trying times ahead of us. We would regardless who was President. Because we cant always control whats happened. You may be right and there may be a balkanization. There may even be a civil war. who knows. We dont always get to choose the circumstances that happen in the times we live, but I don't think Americans deep down have lost the values that makes this nation great yet. Until then, we will pull through anything, including "balkanization"

Americans, like all people, but especially Americans have the yearning for freedom. Some of us may be asleep to the threats we face right now but when push comes to shove we will unite and kick butt in defending freedom whether its ours or others.

The World and Americans are still just waking up to the threats that face us today.

I see an America standing as a beacon to others, bringing them forward rather than backward into the world community. It will take time to get there, and we may have setbacks along the way but there is great hope and positive energy in America that cannot be stemmed even by those here that would commit the US to a Negative and dismissive vision.

There is a spirit here that looks forward more than I have seen in other countries that I have traveled to. Americans still have the forward thinking vision in order to make this country and the world a better place for those living on it.

Forum List

Back