How do you cook your pinto beans?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
I soak mine, then when most of the skins come loose after a day of soaking, I slowly cook them in chicken broth..not water. But first I saute some minced onion, garlic, ham squares in little bites, then I add the beans. Salt and pepper of course, sometimes I add a tad of worchestershire sause for a slight extra umph.

How do you cook yours? (We are not fans of sweet beans).

I omit the salt and pepper if I add diced Spam. I don't like ham hocks because its mostly fat..not meat.

I soak mine, then when most of the skins come loose after a day of soaking, I slowly cook them in chicken broth..not water. But first I saute some minced onion, garlic, ham squares in little bites, then I add the beans. Salt and pepper of course, sometimes I add a tad of worchestershire sause for a slight extra umph.

How do you cook yours? (We are not fans of sweet beans).

A pound of pintos in the crock pot and the right amount of water for the soak. A pound of beef carnitas, half cup of jalipeno, half cup of onion, chili powder, cumino powder and two beef bullion cubes, no salt. Cook to done. For me that's just a bit aldente.

One at a time.

(pretty much guarantees I'll never have to eat a bowl full)

Soak them overnight, boil for an hour, drain, boil for another hour, drain, sautee onions, celery, and bell pepper. Add to the beans. Score a ham shank with a knife and add it, then bring to a boil. Put it in the crock pot on low for 6 to 8 hours, adding salt until you get it like you want it. Add any other spices during the last hour of cooking. If you're gonna use them for chili, cook the beans without the vegetables and use a ham hock instead of a shank or neither.

I buy canned pinto beans, drain the juice and use bacon grease. Little salt little pepper.
Fire

my life is hockless. Are there lambhocks?

Yup. And goat. A guy I work with has a wife that feeds the hell out of him. They use goat.

TERRIFIC ----hubby is into goat. but not me------I am into baby lambchops. ----however---
are they done something cured and smoked like those pig hock things?

Probably. Lamb is one of those things that if you google it you will get a billion ways to cook it. If it were me, I would try them all.

1) Put the beans in a large bowl, cover with cold water and let soak overnight.

2) Drain and rinse the beans, then put them in a large pot. Cover the beans with water and add the chilli powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, bacon, garlic, bay leaves, onion, bell pepper and some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook until the beans are tender, 2 to 3 1/2 hours.

Enjoy :)

my life is hockless. Are there lambhocks?
I suppose you could sub out the pork for beef, lamb, or something else if you have religious edicts to contend with.

the issue is CURED AND SMOKED---. we are bacon and hockless----the commonly cured stuff

Yep. I also have issues with the cured and smoked meats although they may not be the same as yours.

We tend to avoid cured meats and while I have no inherent problem with smoke flavor, I need to be in the mood for it.

I've found that bone in pork chops add a lot of flavor without the cured and smoked issue. Bone in pork chops also make a wonderful addition to spaghetti sauce but that's another thread. ;-)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back