How Do You Cook a Baked Potato?

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
How long?

What temperature?

Do you have to cover it in tin foil or can I just put it open in the center of the oven?

yep just poke them thru the wax paper to see if they are tender all the way thru. If not cook em a bit more.

Wrap it in wax paper crimping the seams and put in microwave for about 5 min for a med large potato.
No need, if it baked, you just eat it ; ) Ok, I use plastic wrap or nothing. Scrub well, poke a few tiny holes with a fork, and follow usc's instruction. Check at every 2 minutes or so, depending on the microwave wattage. OR, use an oven, foil, check after one hour at 350 degrees.

Push chunks of sea salt into the skin, brush with olive oil, wrap in foil, cook for an hour on the grill at 350, then at 400 for 30 minutes. Serve with sour cream, tons of green onions and pieces of real bacon.

Push chunks of sea salt into the skin, brush with olive oil, wrap in foil, cook for an hour on the grill at 350, then at 400 for 30 minutes. Serve with sour cream, tons of green onions and pieces of real bacon.

I like this recipe. I add cheese and butter and subtract the onion. Just a little though.

How long?

What temperature?

Do you have to cover it in tin foil or can I just put it open in the center of the oven?

If you wrap them they are not baked, rather steamed.

I scrub them like hell, dock them with a fork, coat them in oil, and bake them unwrapped at 350. The amount of time will vary dramatically depending on how big they are but usually it's about 40 - 45 minutes to an hour....again....as with most things size matters.

A great camping trick is to do the same but wrap them in foil and bury them in the coals of the campfire. Give them about the same amount of time. VERY nice that way.

Last edited:
I scrub them like hell, dock them with a fork, coat them in oil, and bake them unwrapped at 350. The amount of time will vary dramatically depending on how big they are but usually it's about 40 - 45 minutes to an hour....again....as with most things size matters.
What does "dock them with a fork" mean?

Poke the shit out of them with a fork. It allows heat to penetrate for a more thorough cook and releases steam from inside avoiding splits. "Docking" means to perforate.

Last edited:
Scrub it well.

Poke a bunch of deep holes with a fork

Slather it with some bacon grease (best) or vegetable/olive oil.

Salt the skin.

Set in right on the wire shelf a of a 350 degree oven for one hour.

Give it a light squeeze with your oven mitt...it will be soft if it is done.

Wrap it in some tinfoil and set it on the counter for 15-20 minutes.

It will be perfectly fluffy and delicious.

Last edited:
What I do is scrub them, then dry. Poke them with a fork about five or six pokes. Coat in a bit of olive oil, then roll them in some kosher salt. Put them in the oven at 350F, directly on the rack, and check after about an hour. For me, it usually takes more than an hour, but not often more than an hour and a half (unless they are honkin'-ass huge mutant tubers). To check them, just poke a fork in them again and see if they feel like a baked potato should feel.

I usually just eat them with butter and salt and pepper. For me, the skins are the best part - same way, butter and salt an pepper. I'm not a big fan of the other stuff on the potato.

But, once I had not shopped for a while and had to make due with the stuff I had on hand (I guess I could have gone to the store, but I wasn't in the mood). I made a baked potato for dinner. But, in some half-assed attempt to fool myself into thinking is was a complete dinner (LOL), I put cottage cheese on the tater (was out of butter) and sprinkled some dry chicken bullion (the meat component of the complete meal ;)) on it.

Damn, that was good!

Enjoy.

Forum List

Back