How Do You Comply With This?

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
I have recently discovered, via Neal Boortz, that there is a law in Georgia which states that if you are riding a motorcycle, you must be wearing a helmet that is on the list of approved helmets published by the GA Department of Safety. The problem is...the GA Department of Safety never published a list, so I'm wondering what they expect you to do. Anybody still think government beauracracy is a good thing?

Hobbit said:
I have recently discovered, via Neal Boortz, that there is a law in Georgia which states that if you are riding a motorcycle, you must be wearing a helmet that is on the list of approved helmets published by the GA Department of Safety. The problem is...the GA Department of Safety never published a list, so I'm wondering what they expect you to do. Anybody still think government beauracracy is a good thing?

After the Federal Government's attempt at creating a computer language named "Ada", I'm a firm believer that government is similar to hot pepper in cooking... a little bit is good, but after that, not so good.

Hobbit said:

I just can't help but wonder where all the civil rights advocates are when it comes to helmet laws, and seat belt laws.

Oh yeah ... it's them writing the laws because it's okay to infringe on our civil rights if THEY think so.

A motorcycle helmet does exactly WHAT? Preserve your head for the funeral? Better yet, maybe it will save your life so you can live through the pleasure of being paralyzed from the neck down.

I suggest if you ever get a ticket for not wearing an approved helmet, challenge it in court where they will have to produce the list to substantiate the charge.

GunnyL said:
I just can't help but wonder where all the civil rights advocates are when it comes to helmet laws, and seat belt laws.

Oh yeah ... it's them writing the laws because it's okay to infringe on our civil rights if THEY think so.

A motorcycle helmet does exactly WHAT? Preserve your head for the funeral? Better yet, maybe it will save your life so you can live through the pleasure of being paralyzed from the neck down.

I suggest if you ever get a ticket for not wearing an approved helmet, challenge it in court where they will have to produce the list to substantiate the charge.
COURT DECISIONS:
"This Code section is a valid exercise of police power." Ritter v. State, 258 Ga. 551, 372 S.E.2d 230 (1988).
(Note: This decision has to do with the limited question of the State's right to impose safety regulation on individuals under the police powers, and not on the subject of unconstitutional vagueness. In other words, the definition of "protective headgear" is vague; which means the Georgia statute requiring motorcyclists to wear "protective headgear" is vague; which means the Georgia helmet law is unconstitutional . . . Ritter v. State notwithstanding.)
http://usff.com/hldl/hlstatutes/georgiahl.html

Hobbit said:
I have recently discovered, via Neal Boortz, that there is a law in Georgia which states that if you are riding a motorcycle, you must be wearing a helmet that is on the list of approved helmets published by the GA Department of Safety. The problem is...the GA Department of Safety never published a list, so I'm wondering what they expect you to do. Anybody still think government bureaucracy is a good thing?
Buy a helmet from the helmet store, with the stipulation
that if the helmet is not good enough, and you get fined,
then the store will pay your fine.

If you cannot get these terms, then use two legs
or four wheels to get where you need to go, until
the GA bureaucracy gets around to correcting its
latest catch-22.

I, personally, am not a motorcycle fan, but Hell's Angels aside, bikers are one of the friendliest crowds I've ever met. When I had a wreck in the middle of nowhere, only bikers stopped to see if I was ok. The rest of them either kept on riding or slowed down enough to see if there was blood, then took off. That being said, I'll go to bat for them. So far, the cops have been cool enough to ignore the helmet law and consider any helmet to be in compliance, but I could see overturning this thing in the near future, provided that there's still no list.

I just think it's a great example of why I'm for minimal government. I'm with Marx, though my example has always been in-laws. With infrequent visits, in-laws keep everyone in line and on their toes. However, after a certain point, you just wish you could actually do something on your own.

I was a legislative director for ABATE of Ga for majy years. ABATE=American Bikers Active Toward Education. I also ran for State Director two years ago and lost to it's current head honcho, Jim George. I have debated Neil Boortz on the issue and can say it is one of the few issues he and I are on opposite sides.

A helmet does not save your life, being an educated rider does. Most of the opposition to the helmet repeal law in Ga has came from the medical community with their head injury scarasopia. Florida repealed their helmet law and deaths from head injury ARE NOT up!

Telling a motorcyclist to wear a helmet strikes at the very core of our civil liberties. Where does it stop? Do we really need to phone our local government rep to find out if it is safe to go outside today? What if we catch cold? Come on!!!!!!!!!! I can decide what is best for me!

The argument: Yeah but if you have a wreck and hurt your head I have to pay for it!

Well...................... if you wreck your car and are not wearing body armor then I have to pay for that! So why dosen't the legislature get busy passing law to require all car drivers to wear body armor? You would be safer!!!!!What is the difference?

I can purchase the insurance to cover my injuries if I am hurt!!!!

Most accidents involving a vehicle and a motorcycle are NOT the bikers fault. Look up the numbers. The Motorcycle Riders Foundation (MRF) has very detailed info available on their site and with various publications.

I strongly urge all advocates of Civil Liberty to assist the citizens of Georgia this year in supporting Helmet Repeal. Joining ABATE is a great way to start.Remember, EDUCATION....not......LEGISLATION!

abatega.org / abateofga.net /

You can also contact any state officer on the list who will be happy to speak with you at any time of day. All members of ABATE and motorcyclists throughout Georgia thank you for your support. We believe we can be an instrumental tool in the fight to retain our liberty and freedom of choice in the way we live our lives. Government intrusion leads to more government intrusion which leads to more government intrusion which.................

Forum List

Back