How do you "buy" an election?

The Left still hasn't proven or shown specifically how votes and Elections are being bought by Republicans. Both Candidates will spend several $Millions. So how are individual votes being bought? The Left has yet to show how Romney or Republicans spending $Millions, buys individual votes. However, it has already been proven that ACORN/Democrats do buy votes by way of purchasing alcohol & cigarettes for individuals. It has been documented. I just haven't seen any proof from the Left that votes are being bought by Romney/Republicans. I'll wait for their proof though. I'm pretty patient and open-minded.

Last edited:
The Repubs here want people to believe Advertising doesnt work. Thats why no one wastes money advertising!

The Repubs here want people to believe Advertising doesnt work. Thats why no one wastes money advertising!

Both Political Parties spend $Millions on Campaign Ads. That's an even-split. No big advantage for either Candidate. It doesn't prove the Left's old assertions that Republicans/Romney are buying Votes/Elections. They haven't presented any proof, or made a coherent argument supporting their assertions. But i'll wait a bit longer. I like to give people chances.

Well, haven't seen one Left/Democrat step up yet to show exactly how Romney/Republicans have bought a single Vote. However, it has been proven that Democrat groups like ACORN have bought votes by way of promising alcohol and cigarettes to vulnerable Citizens. So another big fail for Democrats. I'm out. See ya.

Both Political Parties spend $Millions on Campaign Ads. That's an even-split. No big advantage for either Candidate. It doesn't prove the Left's old assertions that Republicans/Romney are buying Votes/Elections. They haven't presented any proof, or made a coherent argument supporting their assertions. But i'll wait a bit longer. I like to give people chances.

I know I don't understand why companies have huge advertising budgets because the repubs know what they don't. Advertising doesn't work. Billboards, TV, Internet, radio its all a waste.

I know I don't understand why companies have huge advertising budgets because the repubs know what they don't. Advertising doesn't work. Billboards, TV, Internet, radio its all a waste.

much less effective than forgiving student loans to get votes.. Advertising MAINTAINS a brand name. That's why they do it.. A political campaign FOLDS in 6 months and you never hear about Dukakis or Kerrey or Dole again.. No brand name to maintain..

Been hearing a lot of this floating around since the failed Walker recall. So, let's discuss it.

How exactly does someone "buy" an election? Which is it:

1) Are they paying people to vote a certain way?

2) Are they paying the vote counters to count a certain way?

3) Are they paying for a bunch of advertisements?

If you think the answer is number 1 or 2 then that's a pretty big claim and would need some serious evidence to prove. If you think the answer is number 3 then isn't that more of an indication of the american people being easily led idiots? Mass advertisements are only as effective as we allow them to be. It's not a problem with people spending money for commercials, it's a problem with americans being easily distracted by shiny objects and catch phrases.

Again, the true blame lies with what you see in the mirror. The american people are the zero sum of the country's problems.

I guess they think people are all so stupid that if they hear something over and over, they'll believe it. And those with money can repeat the same ads more than the other guy. It's bullshit.

I certainly don't need to hear all the campaign crap coming out. I hate it every time. People who follow politics and pay attention to what is really going on in Washington already know who they will vote for. Most people I know do not sit and listen to campaign ads. They are irritating and I think a waste of money.

Been hearing a lot of this floating around since the failed Walker recall. So, let's discuss it.

If you think the answer is number 1 or 2 then that's a pretty big claim and would need some serious evidence to prove. If you think the answer is number 3 then isn't that more of an indication of the american people being easily led idiots? Mass advertisements are only as effective as we allow them to be. It's not a problem with people spending money for commercials, it's a problem with americans being easily distracted by shiny objects and catch phrases.

Again, the true blame lies with what you see in the mirror. The american people are the zero sum of the country's problems.

How do you buy an election? You advertise more than your opponent. As long as the product you are offering isn't total crap compared to the competition, it will work every time,. Why the fuck do you think American corporations invests billions annually in advertising? Do you think they would do it if it didn't work? Do you not understand that translates just the same over to politics? Why do you think every single Presidential election winner for the past God knows how many terms has been the candidate who has outspent his opponent? Coincidence?

much less effective than forgiving student loans to get votes.. Advertising MAINTAINS a brand name. That's why they do it.. A political campaign FOLDS in 6 months and you never hear about Dukakis or Kerrey or Dole again.. No brand name to maintain..

Sorry we dont agree. Advertising doesnt work everyone knows that I dont know why companies spend so much on it, as this thread shows, it's useless.

Now that money is considered speech, I'm surprised the campaigns don't just have people handing out money at the polls to voters to vote their way.

I suspect this has been done already.

So Obama/Democrats don't produce Campaign Ads? The quantity of Campaign Ads produced is an even-split. Neither Candidate has a real advantage there. Now, the quality of an Ad is an entirely different issue. If you produce a great Ad, it can make a difference. But regardless, it doesn't = Romney/Republicans buying a Vote. The Left/Democrats still haven't proven their assertions on that.

Now that money is considered speech, I'm surprised the campaigns don't just have people handing out money at the polls to voters to vote their way.

I suspect this has been done already.

Democrats have been doing that for years. It has been proven that they do buy Votes. And it doesn't cost them $Millions. A pack of smokes and a 40 usually does it.

How do you "buy" an election?

Promise a few billionairs that you will place thier interests above the will of the people then they can start a superpac and anonymously run ads in your support ...even lie... and trick the voters to vote in your favor.

So you're saying that whoever thinks the present system of unlimited money is a good thing, wants our politicians to be chosen by those who are "easily distracted by shiny objects and catch phrases"? That's what I get out of it.

SUPPORT PUBLIC FINANCING OF ELECTIONS and get the buying and selling of our representitives out of the system. It'll cost us less in the long run, when they have fewer expensive promises to keep.

How do you buy an election? You advertise more than your opponent. As long as the product you are offering isn't total crap compared to the competition, it will work every time,. Why the fuck do you think American corporations invests billions annually in advertising? Do you think they would do it if it didn't work? Do you not understand that translates just the same over to politics? Why do you think every single Presidential election winner for the past God knows how many terms has been the candidate who has outspent his opponent? Coincidence?

Everything's about marketing. That's a gimme. But in Presidential Races, the money raised is about even. Both Candidates can produce an unlimited amount of Campaign Ads. Producing a couple more Ads than your opponent, will not necessarily win an Election for you. You'll need more than numerous Campaign Ads.

Forum List

Back