How Do Republicans Reconcile This?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RDD_1210, Oct 13, 2012.

1. RDD_1210

RDD_1210 Forms his own opinions

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001
    So Romney says that 47% are dependent on government and don't want to take responsibility for their lives and the parrots on this site say they want the 47% to have more "skin in the game" because they pay no taxes.

Yet, Romney says if he becomes president he will push through a 20% across the board tax cut.

Wouldn't a 20% across the board tax cut result in a greater % of people "not paying taxes"? Isn't that the very opposite of what republicans have been looking for? Wouldn't that mean more people who are "mooching" because they "don't pay taxes"?

Where is the objection to Romneys proposal? How do you support this sort of plan while at the same time criticizing people who you consider to be "moochers"?

2. OKTexas

OKTexas New Life Member of the NRA 12/15 Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,195
    I think you should check your facts, he said he would reduce tax rates by 20%. So you start with a false premis it kind of shoots down the whole thing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +592
    I'd like to see this question answered:

If Romney's "tax cuts" are revenue neutral, how is that a tax cut and not just a shifting of the tax burden from one group to another? If his "cuts" won't affect how much money the government takes in, why does he get away with calling it a tax cut?

4. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    It's your premise that is flawed, not Romney. Are you of the 47% paying zero Federal Income Tax? How does a 20% reduction of those actually pulling the load effect what you pay? How about Everyone pays 20%. ;) Hows that strike you big spender?

5. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    I have a hard time in dealing with partial facts.

but that said

We know from history that tax cuts = increased revenue.

Clinton cut, and Bush cut even more. So cutting elsewhere would generally mean more revenue.

It then feeds the system, [hopefully] decreasing the debt which will = a stronger dollar. A strong dollar means people can pull themselves up.

I work with a man that wants to go to school, but can't afford it b/c he has a job. "If I wasn't working, I could get that money for college."

Turns out the poor bastard wants to pay his own way. What kind of man would do such a thing?

A real man.

6. RDD_1210

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001
    Sorry I got my facts from this obviously biased source.

Tax | Mitt Romney for President

How does a "across-the-board 20 percent cut in marginal rates" reconcile with the crying of the GOP that too many people don't have skin in the game?

7. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    More money left in the free market means more spent in the economy and more jobs. More people working are more taxpayers.

Taxing more people at lower rates brings in more revenue than taxing a few at high rates. A concept liberals fail to grasp.

8. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    I think you just feel cheated, not considering the fact that one needs to pay in first to receive the benefit. I guess that the concept is just too abstract for you. ;)

9. RDD_1210

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001
    This is obviously going right over your head. If 47% are not paying federal income taxes, some are just barely not paying, and some are just barely paying a little bit at the moment keeping them out of the 47%. Now if those people receive a cut in taxes and that pushes them in to the group of non-payers that would only increase that 47%. How is this ok with you?

10. RDD_1210

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,001
    You could have just said "I'm a hypocrite" and that would have summed it up.

Besides, what do you care? You're part of the 47% already. I was told that you are a moocher and are the problem with this country.