How do Republicans get the White House in 2016?

Here's how the GOP can win the White House in 2016:

* Adopt a more reasonable position on illegal immigration. Yes, seal the border, but also support some process whereby illegals who are already here and who haven't broken any other laws can live and work legally and can eventually qualify for citizenship.

* And, for heaven's sake, stop pushing for the deportation of the kids of illegals. Kids can't help where their parents take them. Most of these kids have known no other country but America, have played by the rules, and think of themselves as Americans.

* Don't nominate a super-rich guy. Sorry, but there are just too many dumb Americans who fall for the Democrats' class-warfare demagoguery.

* Don't let extremist pro-lifers run for the Senate, so you don't have guys like Aiken and Mourdock making utterly absurd statements about rape and rape pregnancies. We will never, ever, ever get pro-life laws if we insist on banning abortion in all cases except life of the mother. It just is not going to happen. Never. So give it up. Allow the 3% of abortions that are done for reasons of rape and incest in order to be able to ban elective abortions.

If the GOP does just these things, they should have an excellent chance of getting the White House in 2016.

Last edited:
5. Distance yourself from the nutcases in your party: You know who they are. Tell them to STFU

The nut cases in our party are those that continue to give the nomination to the guy that lost the time before. Our last 2 candidates have been Liberal lite.
In stead of running a real Conservative, our last 2 candidates have been wishy-washy moderates that can't really articulate a Conservative agenda.
We need a true Conservative candidate, hopefully, either one the MSM hates with a passion or one who is as passionate and optimistic as Reagan or who's race or heritage would make him immune to criticisms that could be labled "racist".
Marco Rubio is that candidate, Condoleeza Rice would fit, as well.

While I like Cristy, unless he can get his weight under control he doesn't have a chance with the large segment of the population that judges a candidate on physical appearance.

moderates?

your last candidate was a decent guy who picked a moron as his VP candidate. instead of BEING the moderate he was in 2000, he went all winger in 2008. he'd have won if he ran as mccain 2000.

your candidate this time was running against himself... people didn't like the etch-a-sketch and more importantly didn't want the nutters coming along with him... like mourdock...

stop blaming moderation on your losses... neither mccain or romney took moderate positions. a moderate is not in favor of personhood laws; a moderate IS in favor of equal pay for equal work; a moderate does not allow his surrogates to campaign using racism as... eg, food stamp president; a moderate tells his birfer loons to piss off... and doesn't hang with them, allowing them to do huge fundraisers for him.

oh...and moderates don't antagonize the largest growing segment of our population by shrieking mindlessly about self-deportation.

and until your party figures out that it's not moderation that is your problem, but misogyny, racism and theocrats, then you're going to keep losing.

I don't know if they can do it

You saw it from John McCain telling the nutjobs to STFU. Yes, they need to distance themselves from the Donald Trumps, Rush Limbaughs and Ann Coulters of the world. They are not helping your credibility

They need to acknowledge that the party can allow personal choice on some issues. Republicans should be able to support immigration reform, gay rights and global warming restrictions without being hounded from the party

Here's how the GOP can win the White House in 2016:

* Adopt a more reasonable position on illegal immigration. Yes, seal the border, but also support some process whereby illegals who are already here and who haven't broken any other laws can live and work legally and can eventually qualify for citizenship.

* And, for heaven's sake, stop pushing for the deportation of the kids of illegals. Kids can't help where their parents take them. Most of these kids have known no other country but America, have played by the rules, and think of themselves as Americans.

* Don't nominate a super-rich guy. Sorry, but there are just too many dumb Americans who fall for the Democrats' class-warfare demagoguery.

* Don't let extremist pro-lifers run for the Senate, so you don't have guys like Aiken and Mourdock making utterly absurd statements about rape and rape pregnancies. We will never, ever, ever get pro-life laws if we insist on banning abortion in all cases except life of the mother. It just is not going to happen. Never. So give it up. Allow the 3% of abortions that are done for reasons of rape and incest in order to be able to ban elective abortions.

If the GOP does just these things, they should have an excellent chance of getting the White House in 2016.

I think the answer is that rerunning the 2012 election is a losing proposition for Republicans. If they are unwilling to acknowledge the changing demographics...they will lose again

The Republican Brain Trust is spouting the proposition that if they stick to their guns....the new demographics will come to them

Here's the Republican plan to win the White House in 2016. Make Obama fail. That can be done by the House Republicans laying on the House floor chanting no, no, no. Secondly, Republicans have to enact some kind of over the cliff strategy, where the country will enter into another Great Depression unless Republicans get their way. Next, Republicans will have to remind America that the 2016 Democratic candidate is not an American and his birth certificate is a forgery. To top it off the Republicans will have to nominate a wealthy white candidate that has made oodles of money and tells America they can make oodles too if they build things themselves and have rich parents. That should do it.

Let Obama do whatever he wants and hope the country is still here by 2016

Americans will come to their senses. I just hope it won't be too late.

It will take everyone getting taxed, You have people bitching that the top end is not paying "their fair share" when they don't pay a dime. The people who suck off the system.

People with their hands out. People at the trough. They want what you worked for.

I think Obma's got enough on the dole now that you are going to see Chavez up here. He'll just keep giving them your money.

Americans don't need to come to their senses, Republicans do. If they don't move towards the suggestions in the OP, they'll be a permanent minority party by 2016. The demographics just aren't there to think otherwise. Simply hoping everybody hates Obama by then doesn't work either, because he won't be running again and, if things have really taken a turn for the worse, they're not going to be able to escape responsibility for their own intransigence. It'll be 2012 in spades and you can say, "Hello, President Clinton".

How do the republicans get the white house in 2016, they'll probably have to rent it from China.

OK just a quick aside. The reason your white house is white is because we torched it. :eusa_angel:

You had to paint it. :D

We're nice guys now. Hey you invaded us. We smacked you back. :eusa_angel:

Americans don't need to come to their senses, Republicans do. If they don't move towards the suggestions in the OP, they'll be a permanent minority party by 2016. The demographics just aren't there to think otherwise. Simply hoping everybody hates Obama by then doesn't work either, because he won't be running again and, if things have really taken a turn for the worse, they're not going to be able to escape responsibility for their own intransigence. It'll be 2012 in spades and you can say, "Hello, President Clinton".

Ok I don't get it. Man I don't get it. You guys are so divisive at this point. For example abortion. Most of us understand sometimes it has to happen. But then you have your whackos on the other side of the aisle going....if it hasn't drawn a breath we can kill il.

You guys are so divided. There is no conversation any more.

Ok I don't get it. Man I don't get it. You guys are so divisive at this point. For example abortion. Most of us understand sometimes it has to happen. But then you have your whackos on the other side of the aisle going....if it hasn't drawn a breath we can kill il.

Abortion is the law of the land. It has been so for the last 40 years. Guess what? It isn't going to change

What do we do about that? how about we do everything we can do to reduce the need for an abortion? Things like birth control, planned parenthood, low cost childcare.......you know...things Republicans oppose

Abortion is the law of the land. It has been so for the last 40 years. Guess what? It isn't going to change

What do we do about that? how about we do everything we can do to reduce the need for an abortion? Things like birth control, planned parenthood, low cost childcare.......you know...things Republicans oppose

Yep, anything BUT personal responsibility, that would be asking too much.

Right now, abortion is personal responsibility. It is saying I am unable to care for a child and I will not bring it into the world. You may not like it...but it is the law of the land

By 2016 Americans will reject liberalism for sure. Everyone will hate Obama by then. Our next president is either Rubio or Ryan.

Dude....that's what you guys said about 2012....especially after the 2010 midterms.

You see, the problem is the lack of separation of perception and reality with you guys. The perception you guys have about Democrats is one of Marxism and tyranny....the reality is that the vast majority of us are moderates....a little left of center...but still well within the realm of moderate.

The reason? I think it has to do with FOXNews, AM Radio, Heritage Foundation, FreedomWorks, and the vast majority of right wing media. In the case of Heritage and FreedomWorks....they are run by corporate lobbyists and funded by the John Birch Brothers....Koch's, that is.

They have moved some of you so far to the right that even moderates look like Commies to you, and the moderates in your own party are demonized as RINO's.

The fact that you don't get that only shows how far gone some of you people are.

I'm sorry if I sound like a Dick...that's not my intention. I guess I just get tired of us Dems being called every name in the book by Conservatives, then when we grow some balls and stand up for what we believe in, they tell us we are divisive. Doesn't matter what they say and do and how shitty they act.

Right now, abortion is personal responsibility. It is saying I am unable to care for a child and I will not bring it into the world. You may not like it...but it is the law of the land

Nope, personal responsibility is not getting knocked up in the first place. That requires engaging the brain before anything else.

The good news. Republicans are well positioned to take the White House in 2016, They have strong candidates while the Dems have no "next in line" to Obama

The bad news. They are still Republicans and are prone to forming circular firing squads

What they need to do

1. Get rid of Grover Norquist: This unelected tyrant has managed to place every Republican into a fiscal box with no flexibility. It limits the choices Republicans have to implement good policy

2. Widen the base: Stop attacking Hispanics. Accept gay marriage, it will win points with young voters who look at it as a civil rights issue. Tone down your anti-abortion rhetoric. Still oppose abortion but embrace birth control, allow abortion in cases of rape, incest and a mothers health.

3. Accept Immigration reform: 10 million undocumented aliens. Offer work permits that allow them to stay. Offer those who have skills and jobs a path towards citizenship.

4. Run good candidates: Newt Gingrich, Hermann Cain, Michele Bachmann are not good presidential candidates. Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio are good candidates with wide appeal. Allow them to run as moderates. Compassionate Conservatives.

5. Distance yourself from the nutcases in your party: You know who they are. Tell them to STFU

Republicans can do all these things and still be Republicans. It will make you look more human, less dictatorial, more "huggable"

Otherwise, prepare for another shock in 2016

Republicans aren't well-positioned to take the WH in 2016. First of all, they have no standout candidate. They don't even have an acknowledged party leader at this point. Secondly, their 2012 'also rans' are a pretty sorry lot. And finally, the GOP threw everything they had at Obama, and used every low down tactic from their Karl Rove bag of tricks. And yet, despite a Super Pac rail car full of secret special interest money to fund political ads in every swing state in every close Senate race as well as the presidential race, they got their clock cleaned. And if that wasn't enough, they managed to unapologetically alienate just about every voting block in the country at one time or another. It reminds me of something I heard said many years ago when one person simply can't understand what another person is doing and why because it seems that any explanation would defy logic. He turns to the other person and says the following:
"You're behaving as if stupidity were a virtue, and you're determined to prove that you are, far and away, the most virtuous person in town."

Forum List

Back