How do people survive on minimum wage?

Well, my sister has lung cancer for the 2nd time and quit smoking 40 years ago. My brother is a handicapped Nam vet with mental problems and my sister has schizophrenia. Mom is 89 years old and I take care of her.
Yes, government needs to be there but what does our Santa Claus giveaway govrnment do? When my sister had cancer the 1st time they stepped in and paid her $2200 a month ON TOP of the full pay she received from her job on leave as disability. CRAZY. And get this, when they started the 1st payment what did our give away spend government do? They looked and saw her diagnosis listed that she probably had it 1 year before it was diagnosed so they sent her a $24K check for back payments! For someone that did not need any $$$. Multiply that times millions sports fans.

Why did they do this and what program was she under? Do they do that for all cancer patients? Or just second time cancer patients? Or just your sister.

Were you really REALLY pissed at her for accepting all that money. Or did she need it?

Just curious.

The first time she had cancer she qualified for social security disability while she was on full pay on leave.
Absurd. Give away programs. Where did I say I was pissed at her? Where?

Just talked to my neighbor and thought about this thread. He was laid off from a 60K job about a year ago and now is working for a little over the MW at $8.50 an hour with no benefits. He is 58 years old.
SO WHAT DOES HE DO?
He went to every HVAC and plumbing company within a 20 mile radius looking for weekend work.
And guess what happened after about 30 visits to different companies?
He was just hired to work Saturdays from 8-6, 10 hours, at $12.50 an hour crawling under houses, doing the dirty work and manual labor with a shovel, etc.
And get this!!! They are willing to train him to do the other work and state that within 12-18 months he will be able to make $20 an hour.
No cry babies.

You seem to think he is living the dream, as they say. I say it is amazing what the threat of losing everything you ever worked for will make you do.

I am about the same age, work construction and would hate to HAVE to be doing what a 20 year old should do.

And of course, your neighbor has no health insurance and has to hope that, IF injured on the job that the company has workers comp.

Don't get me wrong. I think that survival is more important than chasing a dream, but I ain't gonna celebrate it. And I wouldn't tell anyone that after 58 years I had to work for minimum wage.

It says a lot about us as a society that we have people that worked all their lives trying to do the right thing for themselves and theirs and now find that working for survival wages is what they have come to.

But by the Grace of God and all that stuff. It is what it is.

I would not be ashamed to tell anyone I made less than the minimum wage.
All work is honorable. I have worked my ass off full time for 40 years.

He has plenty of skills. He painted my house last summer and did a damn good job. I got a deal at $100 a day for labor and the cost of the paint. My sister paid a whole lot more to get her house painted and then when she found out who'd painted mine she wished she'd hired him too. He's not bonded, but he's darn good, and he's a friend for life. How many of those do you ever get?

Oh, and it's easy to plan for retirement when you make a lot of money, not so easy when you live paycheck to paycheck.

So YOU FUCKED HIM and do not have any clue that YOU, THE MARKET SET THE PRICE!
How come you did not pay him what you believe he is worth?
Take a look in the mirror. YOU decided to pay what YOU thought he was worth.
And you want government to tell YOU what to do.
Damn girl, wake the hell up. YOU are the market and set the price at what YOU wanted to pay. NO ONE forced you not to pay him the $30 an hour YOU want OTHER people to pay.
Typical liberal. "Do as I say, not as I do."
You need to practice what you preach.

Please, he worked for us under the table. I couldn't afford a professional and he needed the work, it was a win win. We could have painted ourselves, but I wanted him to have some money and so I gave him a job, only you would turn it into me taking advantage of him. BTW, $100 a day is MORE than minimum wage.

In your world it is but to those of us that run our own businesses we work 12 and 14 hour days 6 and 7 days a week.

He has plenty of skills. He painted my house last summer and did a damn good job. I got a deal at $100 a day for labor and the cost of the paint. My sister paid a whole lot more to get her house painted and then when she found out who'd painted mine she wished she'd hired him too. He's not bonded, but he's darn good, and he's a friend for life. How many of those do you ever get?

Oh, and it's easy to plan for retirement when you make a lot of money, not so easy when you live paycheck to paycheck.

Damn girl, wake the hell up. YOU are the market and set the price at what YOU wanted to pay. NO ONE forced you not to pay him the $30 an hour YOU want OTHER people to pay.

Please, he worked for us under the table. I couldn't afford a professional and he needed the work, it was a win win. We could have painted ourselves, but I wanted him to have some money and so I gave him a job, only you would turn it into me taking advantage of him. BTW, $100 a day is MORE than minimum wage.

Oh...So you underpaid him AND defrauded the state and federal governments.

BUT ROMNEY IS THE TAX CHEAT…. And those rich people, ya them. THEY NEED TO PAY MORE TAXES….

Just talked to my neighbor and thought about this thread. He was laid off from a 60K job about a year ago and now is working for a little over the MW at $8.50 an hour with no benefits. He is 58 years old.
SO WHAT DOES HE DO?
He went to every HVAC and plumbing company within a 20 mile radius looking for weekend work.
And guess what happened after about 30 visits to different companies?
He was just hired to work Saturdays from 8-6, 10 hours, at $12.50 an hour crawling under houses, doing the dirty work and manual labor with a shovel, etc.
And get this!!! They are willing to train him to do the other work and state that within 12-18 months he will be able to make $20 an hour.
No cry babies.

You seem to think he is living the dream, as they say. I say it is amazing what the threat of losing everything you ever worked for will make you do.

I am about the same age, work construction and would hate to HAVE to be doing what a 20 year old should do.

And of course, your neighbor has no health insurance and has to hope that, IF injured on the job that the company has workers comp.

Don't get me wrong. I think that survival is more important than chasing a dream, but I ain't gonna celebrate it. And I wouldn't tell anyone that after 58 years I had to work for minimum wage.

It says a lot about us as a society that we have people that worked all their lives trying to do the right thing for themselves and theirs and now find that working for survival wages is what they have come to.

Have you worked your ass off for 40 years for minimum wage? That is the questopn?
Are you in danger of losing everything because you have to work for minimum wage?

As to your sister. I just thought you might be pissed at her for taking advantage of a guvmint SSDI program. I think she could only be on it for 36 months and it was means tested. If I understood what I read. Didn't know this program existed.

I would be all for eliminating this program. Why should real sick people get money from the guvmint. Do you agree.

And would you help her out financially if she hadn't of had that extra money. Usually a real sick person spends a lot more money and the work disability program may have only paid her 80% of her earnings. SSDI bridged the gap. Hope she is doing better.

BUT ROMNEY IS THE TAX CHEAT…. And those rich people, ya them. THEY NEED TO PAY MORE TAXES….

Tax cheat. You kidding. You make a hundred dollars a day and you don't have to pay taxes.
Don't you ever read how the working poor pay no taxes and then recieve thousands in tax refunds. No tax cheat there. And how do you know he didn't include this work on his sch C?

Is that like you know Mittens paid all his taxes. You just haven't seen the return to prove it.

Have you worked your ass off for 40 years for minimum wage? That is the questopn?
Are you in danger of losing everything because you have to work for minimum wage?

As to your sister. I just thought you might be pissed at her for taking advantage of a guvmint SSDI program. I think she could only be on it for 36 months and it was means tested. If I understood what I read. Didn't know this program existed.

I would be all for eliminating this program. Why should real sick people get money from the guvmint. Do you agree.

And would you help her out financially if she hadn't of had that extra money. Usually a real sick person spends a lot more money and the work disability program may have only paid her 80% of her earnings. SSDI bridged the gap. Hope she is doing better.

No means test on SSDI.
The point of my working my ass off for all those years was to gain the experience, confidence of my clients and to educate myself for what the market demands.
As a result of my work ethic I now make $100 an hour.
Why does someone make $100 an hour and their clients are willing to always pay it?

Tax cheat. You kidding. You make a hundred dollars a day and you don't have to pay taxes.
Don't you ever read how the working poor pay no taxes and then recieve thousands in tax refunds. No tax cheat there. And how do you know he didn't include this work on his sch C?

Is that like you know Mittens paid all his taxes. You just haven't seen the return to prove it.

Wrong, you make $1 a day you pay 7 cents in taxes right off the top.

Forum List

Back