How do i make it with my online distance education class?

Kieth

Rookie
Nov 25, 2008
I just started school online, after being out of college for 4 years and I'm finding it so hard to focus and stay motivated to complete my classes. Any tips or suggestions you can give me? I've already committed so much money i don't want to drop off.

I just started school online, after being out of college for 4 years and I'm finding it so hard to focus and stay motivated to complete my classes. Any tips or suggestions you can give me? I've already committed so much money i don't want to drop off.

Seriously, stay off messageboards and do the reading and writing for class. Good luck!

frame the cancelled tutition check and put it on top of your monitior...set a daily time to study and work ...appoarch it like a job....you will do this from 8 pm to 11 pm...something like this...make it a habit...put the prize on your moniter too...(yes i am spelling that word as many ways as i can) maybe the car or whatever you would like in life...as the wallpaper of your monitier...

Create a study schedule and stick to it. Think of study time as your JOB.

If you have access to other students taking the same courses, hook up with them.

Best wishes.

Break down your tasks into doable sessions.

Reward yourself for doing your assignments.

Find someone who is willing to listen and teach them what you just learned.

If you can't teach it to somebody else, you don't really understand it well enough, yet.

In distance education the biggest issue is student support. The best programmes will always have major student support but of course it relies on the students to use support mechanisms. So, first point is - ask for help if you feel you need it. Do not sit there and get all wound up. Ask your instructor or your fellow students for help. Support is not just about bras.

I've taught students in distance ed been a dist ed student and studied it myself (GDipEd). The one thing I know is that if you don't ask for help then guess what, no-one can read your mind. Get involved and stay involved. Absorb yourself in the topic and the way you are required to learn it.

I understand how that must feel. Distance learning requires alot of commitment, motivation, time management and staying connected with your classmates and instructors if you have to succeed. You also must set aside some time of the day where you tune your mind to actually do your class work, a quiet place in the house. Also don't forget to reward yourself after every achievement.

Get more tips and strategies for success with online distance education degree.

Regarding assignments. I used to work back from the assignment. Say I had half a dozen assignments, I'd work out on the calendar when they had to be submitted and I'd work out which parts of the learning materials covered those assignments. I'd analyse each assignment (usually an essay but sometimes a workshop or experiment) and work out what I needed to cover to produce good work. Then I'd begin to to the reading or whatever I had to do and all the time kept the assignment requirements front and centre. I wouldn't worry about end of semester exams or end of year exams at that point. After the assignments were done I would then just revise, revise, revise for exams. Worked for me it might work for others.

Which adds nothing. So you thought a bit but why bother sharing it? It adds nothing and pisses over everyone else who shared knowledge and experiences.

See, I am of a mind to say,

"Why bother to post shite?"

Come on, there is no magic formula to make one study. Those that continually search for some silver bullet to motivate them spend more time looking for the bullet than actually shooting the gun.

It's like the self help book junkie who reads how to motivate himself, buys book after book on the habits of effective people, how to organize blah blah blah and never gets off his ass to actually DO something.

So here's my advice. Just fucking DO it. Apply your ass to the chair, open your book and study until you learn the material.

Come on, there is no magic formula to make one study. Those that continually search for some silver bullet to motivate them spend more time looking for the bullet than actually shooting the gun.

It's like the self help book junkie who reads how to motivate himself, buys book after book on the habits of effective people, how to organize blah blah blah and never gets off his ass to actually DO something.

So here's my advice. Just fucking DO it. Apply your ass to the chair, open your book and study until you learn the material.

i want to add to this.

A good friend of mine has been struggling with his weight since high school. We got together for the first time in about 6 or 7 years as he just moved back within a reasonable distance. I went to his place to help him move in and was surprised to see how much weight he gained. I carried up a box labeled "BOOKS" from the van and being a nosy bibliophile I had to look. I saw at least a dozen books on exercise , diet and weight loss.

I asked him about his progress with his quest to lose weight and he said, "I haven't found the right program yet."

A couple weeks later I asked if he wanted to work out with me to help him get motivated and he no showed.

So what do you tell people like this? Whether it's studying, exercising, doing yard work etc, people like to make excuses. It's easier to look for a new better way to do something than it is to actually do it.

So if you want to learn or pass a class just fucking study.

If you want to lose weight, eat less and exercise more.

Jesus Christ man why make the simple so difficult?

It will be tough, but manageable. Since you won't be required to go to a classroom at a certain, you should set a certain time to go to the computer to do your work. It will be very easy to break this commitment, so make sure you have some rewards set up like a favorite show to view AFTER doing your work.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing!

Tips or suggestions about what? That's a pretty broad question.

I know its not quite easy for you with that situation. as being learning in distance education class. as you have started it already much better if you continue with that until you finally finish it. because once you've started you can always ended it. Although you spent much money , don't worry if someday you can finish. the money you have spent is the more you will earn much in the future. So i wish you the best of luck!

I would suggest you make use of the link in your sig line ASAP.

If you stay out of on-line message boards and concentrate on your classes you will do better. Just thinking.

If you stay out of on-line message boards and concentrate on your classes you will do better. Just thinking.

This makes me think, "Why do I always want to go on message boards when grades are due?"

Forum List

Back