How do I get this stain out?

another thing maggie....if a shoe squeaks, it is usually because the ''shank'' in the shoe sole, is broken or damaged....it is not something you would see, but the noise is a pretty certain giveaway to the problem.

This IS A DEFECT in the shoe....you should have brought them back to the retailer for an exchange....

the retailer RTV's(returns to vendor) them...the vendor credits the retailer for the damaged product.

are the clogs suede leather, smooth leather or nubuck leather? the material does matter

I've spent years conditioning boots and saddles.

Rough-out (aka, "suede") on saddles stains, as your clogs did. I would either find a suede conditioner or oil the rest of the shoe as hjmick suggested. It will darken and change the texture of the leather, but I don't think it will damage the leather.

Though I don't use petroleum products on leather.

What you should have done with your squeaky shoes is to put them on and completely soak them in water, then wear them until they're dry.

You should still do that. It should reduce the creakiness, and it will mold the shoe to your foot. It's the way I break in cowboy boots. I used to get them in the summer, then I'd pull them on (without socks, mind you) fill each boot with water or wade in the river, then wear them all day around the place. Beautiful.

Thank you for the suggestions. I should have mentioned that the squeaking is gone. So at least the Vaseline did solve that. I'm just surprised that comment after comment in this site I found never mentioned that bleeding could be a problem. It was really rather ignorant not to realize that would happen, actually. Why wouldn't it? Dumb dumb dumb. Well, I'll figure something out.

are the clogs suede leather, smooth leather or nubuck leather? the material does matter

Smooth leather, with a double stitch down the front elongating the style which is what I liked; the insert is a kind of soft nylon. AND for once something I paid good money for wasn't made in China. These were made in Brazil.

another thing maggie....if a shoe squeaks, it is usually because the ''shank'' in the shoe sole, is broken or damaged....it is not something you would see, but the noise is a pretty certain giveaway to the problem.

This IS A DEFECT in the shoe....you should have brought them back to the retailer for an exchange....

the retailer RTV's(returns to vendor) them...the vendor credits the retailer for the damaged product.

Now you tell me... :( But I really didn't want to return them. I ordered online, not from a local retailer. I had been wanting these clogs for quite awhile and waited for the free shipping and % off, so when I saw those discounts AND they still had my size/color, I snapped them up. Nah, I'll keep them. I think I'll look for a dark maroon dye kit instead of black if saddle soap doesn't work. Hopefully WalMart has stuff like that.

Go to Foot Locker, they have stuff there made for leather tennis shoes, but I used to use on my Dr. Martin clogs. It probably won't all come out, but it will lighten the stain. It will eventually fade.

Go to Foot Locker, they have stuff there made for leather tennis shoes, but I used to use on my Dr. Martin clogs. It probably won't all come out, but it will lighten the stain. It will eventually fade.

I don't think there's a Foot Locker near here, but we do have a Dick's (big sports store), so I could call to see if they have anything. Thanks.

The cornstarch from ehow wasn't a bad idea and here is another one that may or may not feasible: sawdust. Use very fine sawdust of a color that is a few shades lighter than the clogs. As you have learned petroleum jelly likes to saturated its surroundings and fine sawdust is extremely absorbent. If possible, after the sawdust is applied run a hairdryer at low temp from a safe distance to help liquify the remaining petroleum jelly to increase the absorption rate.

Use a sawdust a few shades lighter because once it soaks up the jelly it will become darker from the moisture. Some of the very fine dust may become nestled tightly in the suede grain so if it's a close color match it won't matter. If you aren't sure what kind of sawdust to use then sample a few different kinds by mixing it with the PJ before the shoe application.

Your local home improvement store has plenty of free sawdust in their lumber section on the cutting tables. Good luck!

Thanks everybody for some tips. I was trying to avoid the expense of getting professional help, but decided this morning that rather than cause any more possible damage, I'd just take them to a shoe repair place. They were quite familiar with the problem of oil spots on leather, and will first use mink oil to even out the color, and then the clogs will be died maroon (which was my first color choice in the first place). So, although that will set me back about $30.00 (bye bye the discounts off the original price), I think this will have a happy ending.

I don't think saddle soap works for suede, btw. I've never used it on suede.
Nor do I think it would remove a petroleum jelly stain.

Of course it would bleed, maggie. Oil always stains and bleeds, and leather is porous.

And once again, I've never heard of using petroleum jelly on leather. I use olive oil to condition saddles, or neatsfoot oil. But you have to use it on all surfaces or you have contrasting leather colors, because oil always changes the color of the leather.

Smear Vaseline over the rest of the shoe.

That's what I was going to suggest.

Sorry about your clogs, MM. I had a tragic turn of events with a beautiful suede purse a few years ago. Once leather gets stained, that's generally it.

I don't think saddle soap works for suede, btw. I've never used it on suede.
Nor do I think it would remove a petroleum jelly stain.

Of course it would bleed, maggie. Oil always stains and bleeds, and leather is porous.

And once again, I've never heard of using petroleum jelly on leather. I use olive oil to condition saddles, or neatsfoot oil. But you have to use it on all surfaces or you have contrasting leather colors, because oil always changes the color of the leather.

What can I say? The site I looked at also recommended WD-40, coconut oil, and one person even used lip balm because she didn't have anything else. I was stupid to think anything like that would work, and I've already said that.

This thread proves one thing: even if women hold vastly different political views, we can always talk about shoes. Shoes are the Great Unifying Subject.

Thanks everybody for some tips. I was trying to avoid the expense of getting professional help, but decided this morning that rather than cause any more possible damage, I'd just take them to a shoe repair place. They were quite familiar with the problem of oil spots on leather, and will first use mink oil to even out the color, and then the clogs will be died maroon (which was my first color choice in the first place). So, although that will set me back about $30.00 (bye bye the discounts off the original price), I think this will have a happy ending.

Well at least it was only a $30 lesson learned and not a Seinfeld suede coat ruined due to a pissy old man......Henry the Eighth I am!
(yes.....only Seinfeld fans will understand....lol)

Yay!! The clogs were dyed a deep wine and they are PERFECT! Exactly the color I wanted in the first place, so I guess another $25 was worth all this. (I know ya'll were just "dying" to know!)

Again, thanks for all the tips.

New Topics

Forum List

Back