How do I get them to stop calling?

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
There is a credit card collection agency calling for someone not related to us, but has the same last name. I have told them they aren't going to reach anyone with the name they are asking for and that it is the wrong number.

They think that just because we have the same last name as the person they are trying to reach, they have the right to keep calling. And they do. Every day.

We have caller ID, but it sucks just letting the phone ring and let the machine get it. They leave messages on our machine, yet we have repeatedly told them there is no one here by that name, birthdate, address, etc.

We aren't even related to anyone with that first name, so it isn't a relative of my husband's.

I don't want to have to pay for additional services or change my phone number because these retards can't understand they will never get the person they are looking for by calling here. They are even getting rude about it.

Is there anything legally that I can do? Should I call the police and have them issue a restraint on them? Can I even do that?

fuzzykitten99 said:
There is a credit card collection agency calling for someone not related to us, but has the same last name. I have told them they aren't going to reach anyone with the name they are asking for and that it is the wrong number.

They think that just because we have the same last name as the person they are trying to reach, they have the right to keep calling. And they do. Every day.

We have caller ID, but it sucks just letting the phone ring and let the machine get it. They leave messages on our machine, yet we have repeatedly told them there is no one here by that name, birthdate, address, etc.

We aren't even related to anyone with that first name, so it isn't a relative of my husband's.

I don't want to have to pay for additional services or change my phone number because these retards can't understand they will never get the person they are looking for by calling here. They are even getting rude about it.

Is there anything legally that I can do? Should I call the police and have them issue a restraint on them? Can I even do that?

Yes, there is something you can do. If you haven't done business with this company within the last 6 months, get on the no call list and the next time they call, report it and they will be fined thousands of dollars and if they keep calling, can go to jail.

fuzzykitten99 said:

There is alot that you can do. The number one thing that you can do is get their address and the name of the collection agency. Advise them clearly that you are taping the conversation, tell them that they have incorrect information and that you do not know anybody by that name regardless of the fact that they have the same last name as you have. Tell them you have a right to tell them not to call you, and you hereby are notifying them that they are no longer to call your number for any reason. You also need to send them a letter stating the same thing. If they call you after you have sent a letter to them for any reason at all they can be fined far more than what they can be fined for the Do Not Call list.

I will get more specific information from a friend that is a collector, there are laws to protect you from such idiocy and you should use them.

no1tovote4 said:
There is alot that you can do. The number one thing that you can do is get their address and the name of the collection agency. Advise them clearly that you are taping the conversation, tell them that they have incorrect information and that you do not know anybody by that name regardless of the fact that they have the same last name as you have. Tell them you have a right to tell them not to call you, and you hereby are notifying them that they are no longer to call your number for any reason. You also need to send them a letter stating the same thing. If they call you after you have sent a letter to them for any reason at all they can be fined far more than what they can be fined for the Do Not Call list.

I will get more specific information from a friend that is a collector, there are laws to protect you from such idiocy and you should use them.

This is good advice from no1, and absolutely correct. If a collection agency calls you mutiple times after you've told them there is no one at your address by that name, that is complete harrassment, and against the law. They are bound by law NOT to call you again if you request they DO NOT. Calmly get the name of the person you're talking to, and the name of the company they represent, then make a very specific request for them NOT to contact you ever again in any shape, way or form. If they do, they're flat out breaking the law, and you can sue their ass off for harrassment.

I like to put them on hold (for as long as I can....)

"Yeah, hold on a second......" then put the phone down, and go on about my normal everyday business. I have put morons on hold for 3 hours before, and they were still there. I picked up the phone, and asked if I could help them, and then told them, they had the wrong number.

I have also asked for their home number so I could call them back when it was more convenient for me. (they usually hang up when I become insistent)

More often than nought...they cannot hang up on you, either...their phone systmes do not allow for them to hang up, so you can keep them on the phone as long as you want to play games with them....makes it fun, when you have the time to mess with them.

Fmr jarhead said:
More often than nought...they cannot hang up on you, either...their phone systmes do not allow for them to hang up, so you can keep them on the phone as long as you want to play games with them....makes it fun, when you have the time to mess with them.

i've started hitting on them, both sexes. I've said stuff like "no thank you ma'am..." when i am clearly speaking to a guy or "no thanks mr. smith.." if i am clearly speaking to a girl. i do have fun with it, but this particular caller is VERY annoying.

Forum List

Back