How do dems outnumber repubs 51-49

Yea, I think glockmail didn't realize that the Dems won VA. Plus, the two independents are going to caucus with the Democrats. I guess it's a Democratic minority if you look at it from such a theoritical standpoint, but for all intents and purposes it's a Democratic Senate. We'll have a democratic majority leader, a democratic pro tempore, democratic committee heads, etc. But yea, you're right, technically the Democrats don't have an official majority. Just 49 democrats and 2 democrats-in-all-but-name's.

Basically, saying the Democrats don't have control of the Senate (short of a huge upset in VA) is like the Democrats back in 2000 talking about how if the Electoral College hadn't existed then Al Gore could have won. Sure, you've got a fine academic article there, but it doesn't affect jackshit in the real world.

Yea, I think glockmail didn't realize that the Dems won VA. Plus, the two independents are going to caucus with the Democrats. I guess it's a Democratic minority if you look at it from such a theoritical standpoint, but for all intents and purposes it's a Democratic Senate. We'll have a democratic majority leader, a democratic pro tempore, democratic committee heads, etc. But yea, you're right, technically the Democrats don't have an official majority. Just 49 democrats and 2 democrats-in-all-but-name's.

Basically, saying the Democrats don't have control of the Senate (short of a huge upset in VA) is like the Democrats back in 2000 talking about how if the Electoral College hadn't existed then Al Gore could have won. Sure, you've got a fine academic article there, but it doesn't affect jackshit in the real world.

nothing affects jack shit in the real world....i have made my way in spite of the efforts of the politicians....

Yeah, but that's just one issue. He's pretty liberal on most other things, though. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad he got elected, because he 'gets it' on the most vital issue of our generation. I disagree with him on a lot of other stuff, but I'm ok with that.

that's what sean hannity says :thup:

I am listening to a press conference right now, and dicki durbin just said....

We 51, to their 49:
They can't even start out being honest to the American people....

Yes, they're supposed to caucus next Tuesday to formally pick their leadership, but, about Lieberman:

Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs: Joseph Lieberman, I-Conn. Lieberman, 64, lost the 2006 Democratic primary to millionaire businessman Ned Lamont, who criticized Lieberman's support for the war in Iraq and linked him to the unpopular president. But Lieberman won the election as an independent and has pledged to align himself with Democrats.

This is tentative: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/09/politics/main2167367.shtml

It's just speculation, but it seems out of sync if Lieberman becomes HSGA Chairman, even if he's next in line for it.

Forum List

Back