How DNA and a tattoo led to charges in cold R.I. murder case

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
WOONSOCKET, R.I. — To crack a cold case, the Woonsocket police used cutting-edge forensic DNA phenotyping and genetic genealogy for the first time — and within weeks, connected two men to the brutal murder of a woman stabbed more than 60 times two years ago.

The suspect connected by the forensics investigation admitted to being at the scene and also implicated his friend, according to an affidavit. And he had a strange tattoo that the police said he couldn’t really explain, according to an affidavit.

Matthew Dusseault’s tattoo of a Grim Reaper with skulls and a gravestone with the number 63 caught the attention of Detective Thomas Gormley, because it was around the same number of times that 81-year-old Constance Gauthier had been stabbed.

“With the vague reasoning behind Dusseault’s tattoo, it leads one to believe it held the number 63 for a specific reason related to this crime,” Gormley wrote in an affidavit accompanying a search warrant for Dusseault’s apartment. On Thursday, police seized a bag of knives, as well as cellphones and a camera, from Dusseault’s apartment at 101 Cote Ave.
How DNA and a tattoo led to charges in cold R.I. murder case

That is actually kind of cool that they were able to catch them--not the crime itself.

Forum List

Back