How did you reach your conclusion

☭proletarian☭;1848808 said:
The Exodus passage, translated correctly as much as possible, does not refer to rape but refers to the obligation of the man who seduces the woman.

Rape is seduction? Nice revisionist bullshit, but it's still bullshit.

Excuse me? How can you possibly get from my post that rape is seduction?

The passage is about forcible rape.

You're trying to say it's seduction- that the woman wanted it and gave herself up.

All so you can evade admitting the bible is misogynistic and treats women like shit.

☭proletarian☭;1853398 said:
The passage is about forcible rape.

You're trying to say it's seduction- that the woman wanted it and gave herself up.

All so you can evade admitting the bible is misogynistic and treats women like shit.

The Hebrew word in question, pronounced "pathah" means to entice or delude or is also translated by some scholars as 'seduce'.

So the passage Exodus 22:16-17 reads (NIV):

If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife. If her father absolutely refuses to give her to him, he must still pay the bride-price for virgins.

Now, you may read that as 'forcible rape', but no competent Bible scholars do so, nor was that the obvious intent from the ancient Hebrew.

That your God/faith or lack thereof was correct?

It's ethics.

What should we be serving? The law, right principle, or - a personality? Why worship God, because God is (supposedly) good? Why not revere what is good, instead? If God is the author of good, does that mean that good is whatever God chooses it to be? That would make the very concept of good meaningless.

If goodness is real, then it's going to be real independent of God - and God will have to obey it, just as we must. Given that, God serves no real purpose. It is an unnecessary hypothesis.

While I don't consider myself to be a Bible Scholar by far, I do have a long history of Bible study. I have learned how to determine what scholard can be trusted and whichnones can be considered, and which might be very trustworthy.

When I do Bible study, I approach it forst with an open mind. I have to do that so that I will recelive the leadership and interpretation of the Holy Spirit. That can come from just the personal reading of the Bible, looking at the scholars, or just asking God for understanding.

Anyone who studies with their mind already made up about what a verse, or section means, will miss the "much more" that God has in what He has caused to be written.
I personally want the "much more."

It is sad to see so many people arguing against the Bible who really have no clue what the truth is about it. They go to anti-Bible sites andget quotes. They even study those sites. They have no idea where those people get their information, and they don't care.

I have many beliefs, based on the Bible, that do ot agree with the church and denomination I attend. I have learned that God's word is alive with truth. That truth is worth more than any doctrinal loyalty to a religion.

Just on this discussion about rape or seduction, it is clear that the ones whom want to discredit the Bible have no clue.

Forum List

Back