How DID we survive after all?

Kids these days.

They are WIMPS!

Yeah, with all these parents now-a-days wanting to keep them in safes or bubbles ... I will be amazed if the next couple generations survive more than a couple decades as adults.

I'll admit to being an 'over anxious' mom. I was scared to death when taking the kids to the playground. Like myself, my kids were all swimming before 3. I remember when the first 3 year old climbed the 'high dive' and toddled her way off the end! I thought for sure she'd slip before the end and crash onto the cement. Like I said, I was 'anxious.' :lol:

When she was 4 we moved back to my hometown. What a difference! Yes, I did walk her to school, 2 blocks away, which MY Mom, didn't myself or brother, after the first day. However, when she was in 1st grade I did let her walk. I did let her ride her bike to the local park for a picnic. No, I didn't give my kids the 'freedoms' we'd had as kids. LOL! Unlike my mother who'd grown up in 'the city' I did know the dangers of the 'burb. Still and all, did let my kids go over a mile from home on foot or bike, something most parents would not. I even convinced a few of their friends parents that it would be 'ok', so they did too.

I think part of the reason there's so little 'common sense' is that more than a generation has been raised without having to figure out 'danger', 'threat', and 'excitement.' Granted by teens the differences may become blurred, which is why preadolescent practice is so necessary. Our friends telling us that some things we're attempting are 'stupid' is a start. There is nothing like getting a nail through your gym shoe at a construction site to teach one that hanging at a construction site is probably not so smart. Now they put up fences, like that would stop a preadolescent over 6. LOL! Does take away the 'liability'?

We were 'told' not to have friends over if parents weren't home. Nothing like having a friend of your brother grab one's 11 year old boob, to make the reasoning clear. Or being the idiot 'friend' having the crap beat out of you. ;)

Kids are not being given the 'breathing space' to encounter life in the small steps many of us had. If you are under 35, you probably don't understand what I'm speaking to.

Kids these days.

They are WIMPS!

Yeah, with all these parents now-a-days wanting to keep them in safes or bubbles ... I will be amazed if the next couple generations survive more than a couple decades as adults.

I'll admit to being an 'over anxious' mom. I was scared to death when taking the kids to the playground. Like myself, my kids were all swimming before 3. I remember when the first 3 year old climbed the 'high dive' and toddled her way off the end! I thought for sure she'd slip before the end and crash onto the cement. Like I said, I was 'anxious.' :lol:

When she was 4 we moved back to my hometown. What a difference! Yes, I did walk her to school, 2 blocks away, which MY Mom, didn't myself or brother, after the first day. However, when she was in 1st grade I did let her walk. I did let her ride her bike to the local park for a picnic. No, I didn't give my kids the 'freedoms' we'd had as kids. LOL! Unlike my mother who'd grown up in 'the city' I did know the dangers of the 'burb. Still and all, did let my kids go over a mile from home on foot or bike, something most parents would not. I even convinced a few of their friends parents that it would be 'ok', so they did too.

I think part of the reason there's so little 'common sense' is that more than a generation has been raised without having to figure out 'danger', 'threat', and 'excitement.' Granted by teens the differences may become blurred, which is why preadolescent practice is so necessary. Our friends telling us that some things we're attempting are 'stupid' is a start. There is nothing like getting a nail through your gym shoe at a construction site to teach one that hanging at a construction site is probably not so smart. Now they put up fences, like that would stop a preadolescent over 6. LOL! Does take away the 'liability'?

We were 'told' not to have friends over if parents weren't home. Nothing like having a friend of your brother grab one's 11 year old boob, to make the reasoning clear. Or being the idiot 'friend' having the crap beat out of you. ;)

Kids are not being given the 'breathing space' to encounter life in the small steps many of us had. If you are under 35, you probably don't understand what I'm speaking to.

My father was one of those "if it didn't hurt you didn't learn anything" type parents. I wanted to climb a tree at 5, he just watched and then cleaned off my scrapes when I fell. Eventually I made it to the top ... and never broke a bone oddly. My mother was the over protective type, strangely, but that never stopped me.

I think parents these days just don't remember how they learned to climb that tree ...

That reminds me of playing in Todd K's sandbox. We found old tin cans, filled them up with sand, then threw them up in the air.

I still have the scar on the top of my head where that rusty tin can full of sand hit my head.

We used to shoot arrows straight up. A compound bow has enough power behind it that the arrows would literally disappear in the sky. Joe earned a trip to the hospital on that. Hehe, an arrow went through his hand.

My father was one of those "if it didn't hurt you didn't learn anything" type parents. I wanted to climb a tree at 5, he just watched and then cleaned off my scrapes when I fell. Eventually I made it to the top ... and never broke a bone oddly. My mother was the over protective type, strangely, but that never stopped me.

I think parents these days just don't remember how they learned to climb that tree ...

Me either.. Never broke a damned thing... Sprains, pulls, cuts, bruises, yeah.. If I could see the top of it, I could *get* to the top of it. :D

I didn't actually turn in to a girly girl until my late 20's... Now, 2 feet planted firmly on the ground is just find by me.. If I want to see something higher up, I'll wear heels.

Me either.. Never broke a damned thing... Sprains, pulls, cuts, bruises, yeah.. If I could see the top of it, I could *get* to the top of it. :D

I didn't actually turn in to a girly girl until my late 20's... Now, 2 feet planted firmly on the ground is just find by me.. If I want to see something higher up, I'll wear heels.

I never became the "girly girl" ... I dress more girly now but still very tomboyish behavior. Now if I think there's a top I will find it. ;)

Anyone else ever play "chicken" with pocket knives? ...and if you didn't have a pocket knife, a steak knife you snuck out of the house, until you found out the hard way a paring knife is what yo wanted?

Anyone else ever play "chicken" with pocket knives? ...and if you didn't have a pocket knife, a steak knife you snuck out of the house, until you found out the hard way a paring knife is what yo wanted?
We used full sized bowie knives. I still have the scar on the inside of My left ankle where My best friend was a slight bit off.

We used full sized bowie knives. I still have the scar on the inside of My left ankle where My best friend was a slight bit off.

I'll take that as a yes, then.. :lol:

I'll take that as a yes, then.. :lol:
Yes.

:razz:

Had just recently learned to ride a bike when I went to visit a friend at her home in the suburbs. Kinda like the country, really, with tons of trees and big ass hills. Took off down the hill towards the road below, only I couldn't slow down, much less top. Ended up at the bottom of a six-foot ravine on the other side of the road -- with a broken shoulder bone.

Forum List

Back