ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
still boggles my mind even today

FDR pulled a fast one

Very few back in the day knew he was a cripple

FDR pulled a fast one

I smell troll but I have to say something...

There was no surprise FDR had polio. He had it BEFORE running for President everyone knew it... Jesus man....:lol:

FDR pulled a fast one

YOur supposition: that the media did not KNOW about those things; is just wrong.

They knew, but those things were not thought relevant to either JFK or FDR's worth as POTUS.

Times were different and values were different, hence the media was different, too.

They knew. The media had respect for the presidency back then. FDR was not photographed when struggling to stand or move about.

FDR pulled a fast one

The media knew. Or do you forget about the panel that was installed in the desk to hide his leg braces .

Last edited:

FDR pulled a fast one

YOur supposition: that the media did not KNOW about those things; is just wrong.

They knew, but those things were not thought relevant to either JFK or FDR's worth as POTUS.

Times were different and values were different, hence the media was different, too.

Yep. Bingo.

The press of today would eat JFK and FDR alive for their woanizing. It would be front page news.

It was largely ignored by the press of their day. They would never have thought of publicizing that sort of thing even though I suspect it was well known by the press.

FDR, had polio. This was common knowledge before he was even approached about running for the presidency. He was a well known and brilliant speaker and strong advocate of the Democratic party, and that was what got him elected.

They (his staff and himself) felt that seeing him in a weakened or debilitated state would give him the appearance of weakness in his post, and get more sympathy support than support for his policies and work. He didn't want to be elected or supported because of his disability anymore than not be elected or supported due to his disability. So they did keep him seated and avoided pictures or film of him standing when they could.

It wasn't them trying to hide it, or the press for that matter, it was not wanting to make a point of it.

It didn't "get past" the media's scrutiny. The media was part of the administration. The media also knew of JFK's "Addison's disease" which caused him to take powerful (addictive?) pain killers for back pain. The media knew of Clinton's serial abuse of women and his "bimbo eruption" squad designed to ruin any woman who came forward with allegations but they decided not to persue it.

This is what happens when you base your history on "Call of Duty."

This is what happens when you base your history on "Call of Duty."

LOL.

True, so true.

There are some folks here whose sense of history, it is rather obvious, is based on movies, TV shows and the myths told to children.

Forum List

Back