How cool are Ford Focus ST's?

I have to admit having the Tundra run 12's is very appealing.
But then the 100 hp Polaris General forken rips to the point it's scary!!!
I can't imagine the latest s x s that double that!!!

Yeah I love the looks of the tundra. And Toyota always makes a fine truck, reliable and better off road than most. Ended up falling in love with Ford's ecoboost, even though mostly I am a Chevy guy and not too fond of the looks. Set my tuner once for the 93 octane. And holy crap that thing moves.

I've thought about a UTV. But just not sure I'd get anything out of it. Plus have a Wrangler Rubicon I take off roading which I like.

Thinking for a 3rd vehicle of getting another hot hatches though. Good for trips I'm not pulling a trailer and fun as a daily driver. And was between the GTI and Speed3 back in 2011.

Ecoboost = equals a dead motor around 100k if you're lucky.

I keep hearing that but still no data out there to show some big cliff for them. Now it's getting into it's 2nd decade of making that motor, and while I get when it was the in thing to say as a twin scroll turbo direct injection that was brand new and went against everything truck motors had been, but its kinda going the way of the "you'll have to spend $5k to change the batteries in your Prius at 100k".

Not a pile of used batteries or ecoboosts sitting in the junkyard even though millions of them on the road.

I've got a second gen and they get 650 horse out of that motor for the GT. I'm not going to come close to that myself.

LOL...
Do I really have to link it for you?
Those puny engines relying on boost die early,if it isnt the turbo it's the motor itself.

So, we've got 4-5 million of them on the road. Over half a million of the 1st gens out there at 6-10 years old. So we are talking hundreds of thousands of F150 ecoboosts hitting 100k miles based on normal truck owner mileage.

I'd like to see the link to the failure rate now that we have a large source of data to use and how it compares to other engines...

It's common knowledge that naturally aspirated engines will last longer because they are under less stress.
Thats not to say all of th
Yeah I love the looks of the tundra. And Toyota always makes a fine truck, reliable and better off road than most. Ended up falling in love with Ford's ecoboost, even though mostly I am a Chevy guy and not too fond of the looks. Set my tuner once for the 93 octane. And holy crap that thing moves.

I've thought about a UTV. But just not sure I'd get anything out of it. Plus have a Wrangler Rubicon I take off roading which I like.

Thinking for a 3rd vehicle of getting another hot hatches though. Good for trips I'm not pulling a trailer and fun as a daily driver. And was between the GTI and Speed3 back in 2011.

I keep hearing that but still no data out there to show some big cliff for them. Now it's getting into it's 2nd decade of making that motor, and while I get when it was the in thing to say as a twin scroll turbo direct injection that was brand new and went against everything truck motors had been, but its kinda going the way of the "you'll have to spend $5k to change the batteries in your Prius at 100k".

Not a pile of used batteries or ecoboosts sitting in the junkyard even though millions of them on the road.

I've got a second gen and they get 650 horse out of that motor for the GT. I'm not going to come close to that myself.

LOL...
Those puny engines relying on boost die early,if it isnt the turbo it's the motor itself.

So, we've got 4-5 million of them on the road. Over half a million of the 1st gens out there at 6-10 years old. So we are talking hundreds of thousands of F150 ecoboosts hitting 100k miles based on normal truck owner mileage.

I'd like to see the link to the failure rate now that we have a large source of data to use and how it compares to other engines...
You can get 200,000+ miles out of most newer cars if you maintain them properly.

How Many Miles on a Car Before It Dies? (Tip: Maintenance is Key)

Yeah,thats the biggest thing.
Frequent oil changes are a must since the engine oil also lubricates the turbo and causes it to break down much faster.

LOL...

It's common knowledge that naturally aspirated engines will last longer because they are under less stress.

LOL...

You can get 200,000+ miles out of most newer cars if you maintain them properly.

Frequent oil changes are a must since the engine oil also lubricates the turbo and causes it to break down much faster.
An aftermarket blow off valve will also extend the life of your turbo, if you arent annoyed by the sound. I think most people who install them however do it specifically to get that "whoosh" sound.

Last edited:

LOL...

LOL...

An aftermarket blow off vlalve will also extend the life of your turbo, if you arent annoyed by the sound. I think most people who install them however do it specifically to get that "whoosh" sound.

We're installing one this weekend. He bought it with the coils, and we just didn't have time to do both. It shouldn't be that hard as there's an access panel in the wheel well. You just have to remove the passenger side tire to get at it.

LOL...

LOL...

An aftermarket blow off vlalve will also extend the life of your turbo, if you arent annoyed by the sound. I think most people who install them however do it specifically to get that "whoosh" sound.

We're installing one this weekend. He bought it with the coils, and we just didn't have time to do both. It shouldn't be that hard as there's an access panel in the wheel well. You just have to remove the passenger side tire to get at it.
Im jealous of your boys ST. Sounds dope!

LOL...

LOL...

An aftermarket blow off valve will also extend the life of your turbo, if you arent annoyed by the sound. I think most people who install them however do it specifically to get that "whoosh" sound.

I remember 15 years ago or so with the FF movies, there were a lot of companies making fake blowoff valves to just make the sound. Also small nitrous blowoff kits that just released nitrous to the air. lol Was a funny time. I had bought a couple Integras in the 90's, fun cars (in a stick, the automatic was gutless), with the GSR Vtec motor (no torque, but enough HP, and huge redline so made shifting a blast) and a year after that movie sold them for more than I paid / fixed up them for.

We just installed better ignition coils and different plugs in my friend's Focus ST. He also got new, lighter wheels and better tires. The thing is really dialed in nicely now. His brother has a 2016 GTI which I've also driven. A Stage One tune can get you a lot of HP in the GTI, so he may do that. Evidently the GTI engine is severely detuned, I suspect for fuel economy.
I saw somewhere that the Ford ST motor is detuned to 60% out of the factory.

Makes sense. Same engine in the Focus RS, the Mustang ecoboost, and the Explorer. All of them have more HP than the Focus ST

Just like the common knowledge that since rechargeable batteries tend to charge less each time, all the Prius's will need really expensive battery replacements when they hit 100k miles.

And about a decade later that stuff quieted down when they were still not able to post any facts, just try and use the "well I have a friend who". How much longer are you talking? Hundreds of thousands of these built a decade plus ago which means we should have a crapload of info on this.

I think the newer turbocharged four cylinder engines are reliable, and will give good longevity if maintained properly. However, in general I'd trust and rather have a normally aspirated six cyl. vs a turbocharged four, but my age may be showing. :)

Anybody know anything about these new Dodge Darts. I know they have been out a couple years but today was the first time I saw one. Not a bad looking car. I used to do odd jobs for this oooooooold lady who had one of the old darts there wasn't much she didn't side swipe with that thing and it was still going. One ugly beast that car was.

Anybody know anything about these new Dodge Darts. I know they have been out a couple years but today was the first time I saw one. Not a bad looking car. I used to do odd jobs for this oooooooold lady who had one of the old darts there wasn't much she didn't side swipe with that thing and it was still going. One ugly beast that car was.

Not a good car from what I've read. I was hoping they'd come up with an SRT-4 version of the dart, kinda like the Neon and Caliber ones but they cancelled it before trying that.

There's a motortrend comparison where it finished 7th out of 7 cars. Says they look nice, and handle decent but that's about it. Now on the plus side, with them being no longer made, I'm sure you can find a heck of a deal on them if you aren't looking for.

The Big Test: 2014 Compact Sedans - MotorTrend

Honestly I've always been a mazda 3 fan in that category, though the hatch over the sedan.

Forum List

Back