How come...

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
there is this great gnashing of teeth on the right? Their tea parties, their Glenn Beck insanity...none of this mattered while Bush was in office. They all sat back and watched the economy fall apart and the stupid war in Iraq happen without a peep. Suddenly, they actually pretend to care.

Methinks they don't. They are either being used as tools by people like Beck or they really care about nothing but the GOP.

:eusa_eh:

There is a great gnashing of teeth coming from Conservatives who unfortunately are not being represented very well by the GOP and not represented at all by the Democrats. The reason is obvious to most people who are watching the government senselessly spending trillions of dollars of our money. One thing I can't understand is why the Obamabots aren't upset as well. I was one of the hippies who protested the Iraq war mainly on the grounds that it was too expensive. Many on the Left said the same thing. Now the Left doesn't seem to care. Weird.

there is this great gnashing of teeth on the right? Their tea parties, their Glenn Beck insanity...none of this mattered while Bush was in office. They all sat back and watched the economy fall apart and the stupid war in Iraq happen without a peep. Suddenly, they actually pretend to care.

Methinks they don't. They are either being used as tools by people like Beck or they really care about nothing but the GOP.

I'll speak for myself, and I'm at least to the right of you. (On most issues anyway).

I'm not sure that you will grant the underlying premise of the "great gnashing of teeth" but I put it out there as I see it any way. The are two essential problems that underlie the right's dissatisfaction with Obama. First, there is a sense brewing that some of what he is doing and much of what he wants to do that is illegal (unconstitutional) and nobody is going to stop him if it's true.

Second, I see spending all out proportion to ANYTHING I've ever seen in my lifetime. Granted I'm only 44, but this is INSANE. Obama spent more money in 60 days than Bush (who I always considered a profligate spender) did in 8 years. The prediction of 10 years of Trillion dollar deficits. And, the shoe that has yet to drop, but I'm convinced it will, INFLATION. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel an inflation that will make the Carter years seem like a day in the park.

So, buy it or don't, but I think that's where it comes from. The disconnect I think is that you were in fundemental disagreement with Bush and most all of his policies. On the right there was a discomfort with some of his policies and his spending. However, he got a lot of leeway because, there was a great feeling, that he got the terror answer right. Right response, right policy direction, right firmness. That doesn't mean he got a pass on everything. His illegal immigration policy, spending policies, prescription drug entitlement got him in all kinds of trouble with the right. His Iraq policy split his support on the right. I think maybe you might not have been satisfied with how vocal the right was with their displeasure, but I think it is a matter of degree.

I'll speak for myself, and I'm at least to the right of you. (On most issues anyway).

I'm not sure that you will grant the underlying premise of the "great gnashing of teeth" but I put it out there as I see it any way. The are two essential problems that underlie the right's dissatisfaction with Obama. First, there is a sense brewing that some of what he is doing and much of what he wants to do that is illegal (unconstitutional) and nobody is going to stop him if it's true.

Second, I see spending all out proportion to ANYTHING I've ever seen in my lifetime. Granted I'm only 44, but this is INSANE. Obama spent more money in 60 days than Bush (who I always considered a profligate spender) did in 8 years. The prediction of 10 years of Trillion dollar deficits. And, the shoe that has yet to drop, but I'm convinced it will, INFLATION. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel an inflation that will make the Carter years seem like a day in the park.

So, buy it or don't, but I think that's where it comes from. The disconnect I think is that you were in fundemental disagreement with Bush and most all of his policies. On the right there was a discomfort with some of his policies and his spending. However, he got a lot of leeway because, there was a great feeling, that he got the terror answer right. Right response, right policy direction, right firmness. That doesn't mean he got a pass on everything. His illegal immigration policy, spending policies, prescription drug entitlement got him in all kinds of trouble with the right. His Iraq policy split his support on the right. I think maybe you might not have been satisfied with how vocal the right was with their displeasure, but I think it is a matter of degree.
Thanks for the well thought out answer.

I am not comfortable with all the money being spent to bail out the financial industry, but I can't really see another way out of the mess. To just let it all go to hell seems insane. It is a big gamble, but with any luck it will pay off for all of us.

It just make no senses to me that Bush, while president, oversaw the most outrageous spending and expansion of government until that time...and without any actual need to do so. There was no populist back lash. If what Obama is doing doesn't work I'll have no problem condemning him...but then again I've never been a huge fan of his. I think that he's only been president for two months and these tea parties started after his first month...and all that leads me to believe that many people on the right are more upset that the Democrats are in power than any concrete issue.

Thanks for the well thought out answer.

I am not comfortable with all the money being spent to bail out the financial industry, but I can't really see another way out of the mess. To just let it all go to hell seems insane. It is a big gamble, but with any luck it will pay off for all of us.

It just make no senses to me that Bush, while president, oversaw the most outrageous spending and expansion of government until that time...and without any actual need to do so. There was no populist back lash. If what Obama is doing doesn't work I'll have no problem condemning him...but then again I've never been a huge fan of his. I think that he's only been president for two months and these tea parties started after his first month...and all that leads me to believe that many people on the right are more upset that the Democrats are in power than any concrete issue.

It would be silly of me to say that there isn't a "partisan" component at all in there. But, people don't get motivated to do things like tea parties out of simple partisanship (at least not many). I understand what you are saying about the short time in office, but I think people are feeling like these are unprecedented amounts of money and there might be nothing left to save if they don't get out there now. I must admit to feeling a more than a bit powerless and disenfranchised about now myself.

I was just mentioning to my wife this morning, what am I gonna do though? Write a letter to idiot 1 or idiot 2? (Meaning our senators) Hell, they agree with Obama what are they gonna do? So, we sit here and take it until we (or if) we get so mad we have to do something about it. Do Americans have the capacity to get that angry anymore?

Because they lost the election, the right wing nuts are pussies afraid of their own shadow. Look what a fuss they made over 50 guys in a cave in Pakistan with no army, no navy, and no air force.

Studies have shown that people who are conservatives are more afraid of the world than liberals. Thus, the guns, the overblown fear of AQ, and the prejudice against people who are different than they are.

Hoover acted too little and too late and we saw where that got us.

Hoover did more than he should have and probably set an unhealthy direction and precedent for dealing with financial panics. Many of the things he did were wrong. So I'm not sure that simply spending more money on them would have made it better.

Because they lost the election, the right wing nuts are pussies afraid of their own shadow. Look what a fuss they made over 50 guys in a cave in Pakistan with no army, no navy, and no air force.

Studies have shown that people who are conservatives are more afraid of the world than liberals. Thus, the guns, the overblown fear of AQ, and the prejudice against people who are different than they are.

Troll talk :eusa_whistle:

• Thanks
Reactions: Jon
It was Republican policy to let the banks fail and to not attempt to stimulate the economy that led to the Great Depression after the Wall Street crash in 1929.

Is this what Repubs think we should do now?

Funny how all the righties lined up behind Bush for eight years and sat on their hands while this crises was brewing and now they expect Obama to cure the problem in two months.

Clearly even Repubs think that Obama is much more capable than Bush.

It was Republican policy to let the banks fail and to not attempt to stimulate the economy that led to the Great Depression after the Wall Street crash in 1929.

Funny how all the righties lined up behind Bush for eight years and sat on their hands while this crises was brewing and now they expect Obama to cure the problem in two months.

Another Troll.

And apparently a partisan hack as well.

Except Herbert Hoover did attempt to stimulate the economy. Many of FDR's New Deal programs originated with Hoover.

Why is it insane to let a failing company fail? You think if Citi, BoA, and the rest go bankrupt that there will never be banks again or something? When a business dies, it creates an opportunity for a new one to take its place. If Citi et al are being run too poorly to succeed, why bail them out? Why not let a smaller cap bank take its place and start fresh?

You've been persuaded into believing that the bailouts are necessary, when there's zero proof they are. The fear mongering worked on you just like the fear mongering from Bush worked on HIS base.

When human beings are freightened out of their minds, they can be persuaded to do just about anything if they believe it will make them safe.

Wrong.

Fear is what the right is all about.

What is the terror threat level at now anyway?

Wrong.

Wrong. Obama just used a huge fear campaign to get Trillions of dollars appropriated. How many times did he and his cronies use words like "Crisis" "Catastrophe" "worst economy since the Great Depression" "another depression" until people were scared out of their wits. You've got a lot of nerve saying that it's only the right that engages in fear mongering.

Wrong.

Wrong. Obama just used a huge fear campaign to get Trillions of dollars appropriated. How many times did he and his cronies use words like "Crisis" "Catastrophe" "worst economy since the Great Depression" "another depression" until people were scared out of their wits. You've got a lot of nerve saying that it's only the right that engages in fear mongering.

Have you built your safe room yet?

Wrong.

still the same place it was under Bush
so you FAIL again, TROLL

Wrong.

Have you built your safe room yet?

Nah, I've got guns. I'll take yours. :eusa_whistle:

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Um ... wow ... ignorance is bliss still I see. Republicans did exactly what Obama is doing, it failed because it was a bad choice, and Obama is making the same mistake. I'm sorry, but repeating someone else mistakes seems worse to me than being the first one to make them.

Forum List

Back