How come Obama thinks it's okay to appoint..

I think they believed it was an oversight, and it appears that most of it was paid two days before the nomination was announced. So either Geithner tried to get it paid before anyone would notice; or Obama's transition team said it had to be paid before the announcement.

Dunno... but after the last 8 years, it seems clear that the way to deal with problems is to say "what problem" and move forward...

and this is change how, exactly?

and this is change how, exactly?

well just keep in mind their motto,,"change you can believe in" and they believe anything their chosen idiot tells them. Wink! See? so all you have to do basically is "believe" :lol:

why does that matter? is cheating on your SS less wrong than cheating on your income tax?
he signed up as a 1099 type and didn't pay his taxes.
he blew off his accountant's advice and only paid what he owed so he would be nominated for SecTreas.

as SecTreas, the IRS reports to him.

hello?
It seems to me when I paid as self employed I followed the guidelines and sent in what the IRS required...and I never got a SS statement. I'll have to check my records. Maybe the IRS was wrong about what he owed.

I didn't see where he blew off his accountants advice, I'll reread it.

well, considering Obama's transition team discovered that the guy's a tax cheat, it's his responsibility.

"But it wasn't until much later—days before Obama tapped him to head Treasury late last year—that Geithner paid back most of the taxes, incurred in 2001 and 2002. He did so after Obama's transition team found...."

Tax problems derail fast Senate OK for Geithner

A tax "cheat". A bit overstated, eh?

I do love how all the conservative principles are coming out now that it isn't Dick Cheney socking away Haliburton money into his blind trust.

Ah well... :eusa_whistle:

I do love how all the conservative principles are coming out now that it isn't Dick Cheney socking away Haliburton money into his blind trust.

not even a little.

when your accountant tells you it's not a deduction and you don't pay what you owe, i'd call that cheating.

i do love how it's okay because somebody else did it. give my regards to teh kettle.

a SecTreas who has been evading his tax obligations?
who tried to take a deduction for his kid's overnight camp expenses?
who only paid his taxes because he was about to be appointed SecTreas?

just curious...

"Whenever he goes before the Finance panel, Geithner—whose myriad responsibilities in his new post would include authority over the IRS—is likely to face a grilling about his tax errors.

He failed to pay self-employment taxes for money he earned from 2001 to 2004 while working for the International Monetary Fund, according to materials released by the committee Tuesday.

He paid some of the taxes in 2006, after an IRS audit discovered the discrepancy for taxes paid in 2003 and 2004. But it wasn't until much later—days before Obama tapped him to head Treasury late last year—that Geithner paid back most of the taxes, incurred in 2001 and 2002. He did so after Obama's transition team found that Geithner had made the same tax mistake his first two years at the IMF as the one the IRS found he made during his last two years there. "

Tax problems derail fast Senate OK for Geithner

"A bipartisan document released by the Senate Finance Committee showed that on Geithner's tax returns in 2001, 2004 and 2005, he claimed a dependent child-care tax credit for time that his children spent at overnight camps. When an accountant apprised him in 2006 that the credit is for things such as after-school care, not overnight camps, Geithner failed at the time to amend his past returns.

The document said the most significant tax concern was Geithner's failure to pay Social Security taxes during his time at the IMF from 2001 to 2003. He sent the IRS and the state of Maryland estimated tax payments that corresponded with federal and state tax allowances, but he didn't write checks for the corresponding self-employment tax allowance, even though he signed an annual tax-allowance request from the IMF."

Treasury nominee Geithner faces scrutiny over taxes, housekeeper - Politics AP - MiamiHerald.com

meet the new boss.....
a lot of people conservatives included think it is a good pick. the man's personal finances leave a lot to be desired.

what I am wondering is how many people who work at the IMF have failed to pay taxes.

the GOP is wasting the tax payers time and money holding up this appointment because it is a given. there is NO way (minus new damaging info) the appointment is in trouble.

but why be surprised at this? I wonder what mani and ravi and others who jimped on the change bandwagon think. it's a slow torturous drip, the constant revelations of how really same old/same old Obama really is minus the flowery words ... words that are important. :cuckoo: :)cuckoo: in honor of poor Shadow)

a lot of people conservatives included think it is a good pick. the man's personal finances leave a lot to be desired.

what I am wondering is how many people who work at the IMF have failed to pay taxes.

the GOP is wasting the tax payers time and money holding up this appointment because it is a given. there is NO way (minus new damaging info) the appointment is in trouble.

but why be surprised at this? I wonder what mani and ravi and others who jimped on the change bandwagon think. it's a slow torturous drip, the constant revelations of how really same old/same old Obama really is minus the flowery words ... words that are important. :cuckoo: :)cuckoo: in honor of poor Shadow)

Yeah! I gotta hand it to you. In this chosen idiot's administration corruption is a given.

I didn't jimp on no bandwagon. Matter of fact, Obama disappointed me long before he disappointed me.

Fact is, there probably is no one person that is clean and shiny and intelligent in government. So you have to appoint the best of what is available. Is this guy the best of what is available? I've no idea. His problems will make people doubt his ability, though, and I'm curious to know why the majority of both parties think he's a good choice.

Oh my goodness how shocking.

the master class and their loyal servant class are held to a different standard than those of us who are not of those classes.

I am shocked -- shocked -- do you hear me?

I always get a chuckle from the accusation that if you wanted Obama to win, you worship him and think he's infallible.

Thank you Michael Moore....

Anyway, I thought this regime was about change ?

Now you're saying " it's ok because the past regime ( allegedly ) did it too " ?

:eusa_whistle:

Thank you Michael Moore....

Anyway, I thought this regime was about change ?

Now you're saying " it's ok because the past regime ( allegedly ) did it too " ?

:eusa_whistle:

Do try to actually stick to an issue, dear. 'Cause it depends on where a wingnut like you keeps his focus....

I'm sure GWB would have appointed the dem counterpart to Lindsey Graham to HIS foreign policy team. sure he would have... at about the same time that hell froze over.

So stick it in your ear.

I mean that in the nicest possible way of course.

And do feel free to dispute that cheney didn't make a fortune off of haliburton. we'll wait.

Do try to actually stick to an issue, dear. 'Cause it depends on where a wingnut like you keeps his focus....

I'm sure GWB would have appointed the dem counterpart to Lindsey Graham to HIS foreign policy team. sure he would have... at about the same time that hell froze over.

So stick it in your ear.

I mean that in the nicest possible way of course.

And do feel free to dispute that cheney didn't make a fortune off of haliburton. we'll wait.

Sure, a wingnut like me huh ? You're not a left wing nut at all. :eek: All politicians make fortunes, you seem to only point one way on that matter. Have you ever been critical of say, the Clinton's, Kennedy's or Pelosi's pertaining to the fortunes they have made ?

rhetorical question ......

I'm curious to know why the majority of both parties think he's a good choice.

Because he's business as usual, just like most of the other appointed members, just like Obama, just like every politician. There is no "change" coming.

Obama's appointments have all been laughable. He spent a year attacking Hillary on her foreign policy, and now he appoints her to his highest cabinet post and our country's top liaison overseas.

a SecTreas who has been evading his tax obligations?
who tried to take a deduction for his kid's overnight camp expenses?
who only paid his taxes because he was about to be appointed SecTreas?

just curious...

Treasury nominee Geithner faces scrutiny over taxes, housekeeper - Politics AP - MiamiHerald.com

meet the new boss.....

I don't think its okay. I want obama to withdraw him. He's too much of a wishy washy wall street stooge. The sort of republican-friendly corporatist that republicans would be comfortable with.

I was promised marxists, and far left radical liberals, by bush voters!! That's what repukes told me obama was about for the last 12 months. Were repubs lying?

I want to see paul krugman at treasury. Somebody who was RIGHT for the last 8 years.

Sure, a wingnut like me huh ? You're not a left wing nut at all. :eek: All politicians make fortunes, you seem to only point one way on that matter. Have you ever been critical of say, the Clinton's, Kennedy's or Pelosi's pertaining to the fortunes they have made ?

rhetorical question ......

I think you need to go back and read. *My* point was that the wingnuts reserve their criticism for dems... I was merely pointing out that you guys have been very quiet on the Haliburton front.

Good question, assuming he knew about it before he made the appointment.

assuming? hmmmmm,..

The point should be why didn't the team know about it? It is vet 101...look at the taxes. If he didn't know that is more egregious than if he did know. Why? Because Obama's argument for keeping the appointment is that the man is needed. What is troubling is how many stumbles team Obama is making once they got away from campaigning. Their management style is so far lacking.

Let us hope they have people in charge who know how to deal wit all the strong personalities they've selected. If not we will be in a bigger mess.

btw, I support the nomination because all the wise men do. Then again, all the wise men sold me on the idea that in 2000 Bush was not going to be a problem because he surrounded himself with a lot of experienced strong personalities.

go figure

and

pray if it tickles your agnostic bone

Forum List

Back