How come I do not know who Albert Schweitzer was? Does it matter?

Discussion in 'Media' started by Stainmaster, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Stainmaster

Stainmaster BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    My grandpop mentioned the name Albert Schweitzer the other day, and was really perturbed that I did not know who he was. He blamed modern education, and the media.
    Here is some info about him if Albert Schweitzer are interested;

Albert Schweitzer (14 January 1875 – 4 September 1965) was an Alsatian German-French theologian, musician, philosopher, and physician. He was born in Kaysersberg in the province of Alsace-Lorraine, from 1871 to 1918 in the German Empire. Schweitzer challenged both the secular view of Jesus as depicted by historical-critical methodology current at his time in certain academic circles, as well as the traditional Christian view, depicting a Jesus Christ who expected and predicted the imminent end of the world.
    [​IMG]
    He received the 1952 Nobel Peace Prize in 1953 for his philosophy of "Reverence for Life", expressed in many ways, but most famously in founding and sustaining the Albert Schweitzer Hospital in Lambaréné, now in Gabon, west central Africa (then French Equatorial Africa). As a music scholar and organist, he studied the music of German composer Johann Sebastian Bach and influenced the Organ reform movement (Orgelbewegung).

Maybe if the media spent a little more time focusing on stories about people like Albert Schweitzer in today's world there would not be such a feeling of hopelessness around this country. We all feel it. I mean how many stories do we really need about Republicans compensating strippers, or how many cigarettes the President smokes a day? Let's get real!

How come I do not know who Albert Schweitzer was?
    Does it matter?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    because you are shirtless and stupid......

yes it does matter....

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Wise words, bones.

4. KissMy

KissMy Free Breast Exam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,933
    Our creator grants us our humanity, rights, liberties & personal quest for knowledge. Governments should not grant these & should only restrict them when our liberties take away from the liberties of others. Your tone in your OP of blaming others for your education is akin to saying others control your life. You believe a dictator should tell you what to think & how to act. There are many old timers you should listen to instead of listening to one side.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5OnW0-HInI&feature=player_embedded"]Kitty Werthmann Interview 1[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyiEzufunOA&feature=player_embedded"]Kitty Werthmann Interview 2[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiSF7-BDBH8&feature=player_embedded"]Kitty Werthmann Interview 3[/ame]

5. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    Interesting that you ask. I have frequently posted pieces on people I consider saints, not in the religious sense but in the human sense. I have to find them. I mentioned Schweitzer in Post#20 in link below. I thought I posted a thread on him but it may have been on another site. MSM is corporate owned and conservative, good people who do good things are shown rarely it is the bad that gets the news. Also the bad makes better story, find a show on TV that is simply good?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/writing/105341-a-fable-about-freedom-2.html

Found one. http://www.usmessageboard.com/africa/99799-those-too-rare-people-saints.html

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618

Because the game is to set us upon ourselves with hate and fear, rather than inspiring us with examples of people who worked on behalf of all mankind.

We live in a society run by people who now believe that GREED IS GOOD!!

Who believes that who doesn't worship at the alter of MAMMON?

7. KissMy

KissMy Free Breast Exam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,933
    Personal Greed can be good or bad. Our government allowed some to leverage our money far beyond their personal liberties hoping everyone would take those powers over others liberties to do good for those others. This additional leverage corrupted many to act greedy & take liberties that they morally should not have.

Ultimate power corrupts ultimately.

8. Stainmaster

Stainmaster BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    It is always nice to hear constructive criticism.

You like my shirt? It is the only pic I have, now that it is becoming an issue like my handle, I plan to keep them both. Thank you for your concern.

9. Stainmaster

Stainmaster BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    From California no less, and with an avatar with a low neckline. Worried about me being shirtless? I was naked when the picture was taken for God sakes! Who cares! Someone is confused, and this time it is not me! And, now to the point of this thread.

At least you think Albert Schweitzer is someone I should know about, but you did not say why or point a finger in the direction of the media, education, or somewhere else. Any further thoughts please?

10. Stainmaster

Stainmaster BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The Kitty Werthmann Interview was excellent. It should be it's own thread, or take it to that anti-Hebrew message board Argue with Everyone.

My debate experience in college tells me this is bait.