How come all our banking is electronic, but our elections are not?

ColonelAngus

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2015
Its 2018.

I,have every song ever made in the palm of my hand and I haven’t written a check in years.

Why can’t we get our voting process handled?

People are afraid it will not be secure. Yes, you have music in the palm of your hand....but it could easily be pirated. Yes, you do online banking...but there have been plenty of incidents in which companies, including banks, have lost tens or hundreds of thousands, or even millions, of people's personal information through hacks.

And yes, government. Don't forget, the US was still using floppy disks to run some of our nuclear arsenal as recently as 2 years ago.

scan paper - it's the best of both worlds & with paper 'receipts', there is oversight.

Its 2018.

I,have every song ever made in the palm of my hand and I haven’t written a check in years.

Because THAT would make it easy to hack. Keeping it mechanical like we have it makes it impossible.

How many times have you heard of banks getting hacked and people's information being stolen? Why would we use the "online banking" model for voting when we know that's failed many times in the recent past?

Its 2018.

Because THAT would make it easy to hack. Keeping it mechanical like we have it makes it impossible.

How many times have you heard of banks getting hacked and people's information being stolen? Why would we use the "online banking" model for voting when we know that's failed many times in the recent past?

Yea, it’s a shame we can’t do a closed system and it’s a shame so many people are corrupt.

People are afraid it will not be secure. Yes, you have music in the palm of your hand....but it could easily be pirated. Yes, you do online banking...but there have been plenty of incidents in which companies, including banks, have lost tens or hundreds of thousands, or even millions, of people's personal information through hacks.

And yes, government. Don't forget, the US was still using floppy disks to run some of our nuclear arsenal as recently as 2 years ago.

There is no fool proof way, and when no one has any integrity anymore, no one expects any from anyone else. We are an empire in decline towards a regressive global vassal state. We could end up looking as shitty as the UK before it's all over. I'm confident 2020 will bring about new libertarian blood in the GOP now that some of the drek was washed out through retirements and the LOL... Blue Barf. Hopefully hitlery will run again and destroy the party.

Its 2018.

Excellent point. Kudos.

I'd add why aren't election machines, ballot types, training, etc... all uniform?

This is one reason I'm 100% for having to show a picture ID (as long as the ID is free of charge to the voter) when you cast a ballot. It's insulting to all of us that liberals (mostly liberals) make the argument that it places an undue obstacle on some people. If you're too scared to take part, if you're too frankly stupid to get an ID that's free, if you're too ___________ to muster the chutzpah to take part; sorry. Voting should be easy but it shouldn't be effortless.

Its 2018.

It's more difficult to "find" boxes of paper ballots marked for democrats if the results of the election could be certified complete within an hour of the polls closing. It would not be terribly difficult for every voter to receive a paper printout and an encrypted key that he could use to verify that his electronic ballot was correct.

We desperately need to get serious about the voting infrastructure in the nation. That should be something the new House takes up immediately. But...they wont. :102:

Its 2018.

Combine them. The voter gets a paper receipt with his marked ballot and can use his ID (that he provided when he voted) to look up the electronic record. If they don't match, there's a problem.

We desperately need to get serious about the voting infrastructure in the nation. That should be something the new House takes up immediately. But...they wont. :102:

Of course not. They'll be too excited calling Trump a poopy-head to do anything like that.

Its 2018.

Mostly because states do not have the money to make the changes needed for that.

Also, as many have pointed out, security is an issue. The government pretty much suck at cyber security.

I had my information stolen twice from OPM, once my military data and then the data I gave when I applied with a Fed Agency prior to finding the job I have now.

Of course not. They'll be too excited calling Trump a poopy-head to do anything like that.

They wouldn't do it (neither would the Republicans) if the new House had their dream President and 100-0 Senatorial majority.

PS: Trump is a national disgrace.

Its 2018.

Seems to make sense on the surface. Online banking does work to properly ID and keep fraud down.

BUT....

Not everybody has online banking, or is in a position to, whereas everybody has the right to vote.

Should be at least an option though.

Its 2018.

Because then the liberals couldn't cheat by finding blank ballots , and say they need to be counted. I mean, just look at most liberals, they are sooo dumb?

How dumb are they?????

Liberal are so dumb, that when they have to put the smudge on the back, which is why a blank ballot is a vote for liberals...

They wouldn't do it (neither would the Republicans) if the new House had their dream President and 100-0 Senatorial majority.

PS: Trump is a national disgrace.
No you are just a local disgrace, that needs a fucking whipping...

My answer as to why not: Wells Fargo. Just as easy to generate bogus votes as it is to make up bogus accounts that produce service fees. I certainly would have less trust if things were turned over to Silicon Valley.

There is no fool proof way, and when no one has any integrity anymore, no one expects any from anyone else. We are an empire in decline towards a regressive global vassal state. We could end up looking as shitty as the UK before it's all over. I'm confident 2020 will bring about new libertarian blood in the GOP now that some of the drek was washed out through retirements and the LOL... Blue Barf. Hopefully hitlery will run again and destroy the party.
Our natural resources mean we are the greatest, but your post should tell you what having Trump and horrible propaganda and totally negative election campaigns are doing to us. Not to mention GOP tax rates wrecking the middle class and the country with the resultant cuts in services like training and College.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back