How close to reality is Homeland?

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
I am thinking of watching this show. Have you watched it? If so, how close to reality is this show?

---

WASHINGTON: The United States has broken off diplomatic ties with Pakistan following a terrorist attack by the ISI-backed Haqqani group on the American Embassy in Islamabad in which some 40 American diplomats and personnel were killed. All American diplomatic personnel have been evacuated from Islamabad and the US President has ordered the nuclear-armed Fifth Fleet towards Karachi.

US-Pakistan-ISI The Faustian chronicles - The Times of India

I really like this show and have seen every episode over 4 years, but I really don't consider it to be realistic.

The article was a bit misleading when it called the leading character "psychotic", though. She is bipolar rather than psychotic, and while bipolar disorder can produce psychosis in more extreme cases, her actual behavior in the show falls within parameters that would not be considered psychotic -- edgy, certainly, often times reckless, but more a case of her being highly intuitive rather than delusional.

I really like this show and have seen every episode over 4 years, but I really don't consider it to be realistic.

The article was a bit misleading when it called the leading character "psychotic", though. She is bipolar rather than psychotic, and while bipolar disorder can produce psychosis in more extreme cases, her actual behavior in the show falls within parameters that would not be considered psychotic -- edgy, certainly, often times reckless, but more a case of her being highly intuitive rather than delusional.

Do you watch it on Showtime?

Yep. I just watched the last episode of the year and the only thing that disappointed me was that I will have to wait another year to see more.

Based on what I read in The Times of India report, it sounds like an interesting drama between Pakistan and USA. Although some of the outcomes seem more wishful thinking than realistic but the background is certainly realistic.

I searched for it on Netflix. It is not there. I may have to look for it on Amazon or Hulu Plus. I have Dish Network but I could never figure out how to find past shows on it, primarily because I do not watch TV that much.

Yep. I just watched the last episode of the year and the only thing that disappointed me was that I will have to wait another year to see more.

Based on what I read in The Times of India report, it sounds like an interesting drama between Pakistan and USA. Although some of the outcomes seem more wishful thinking than realistic but the background is certainly realistic.

I searched for it on Netflix. It is not there. I may have to look for it on Amazon or Hulu Plus. I have Dish Network but I could never figure out how to find past shows on it, primarily because I do not watch TV that much.

One thing I might let you know if you are particularly interested in the Pakistani issues is that it is only in the 4th year that the plot shifted to Pakistan. The first three years were all about Iran.

One thing I might let you know if you are particularly interested in the Pakistani issues is that it is only in the 4th year that the plot shifted to Pakistan. The first three years were all about Iran.

Thanks for sharing that piece of information with me! It saved me some time and confusion.

Media Mash-Up (Foreign Criticism)

Did anyone watch that detective show "The New Adventures of Charlie Chan" (1957-1958) which was based on the real-life exploits of Honolulu police department super-sleuth Chang Apana?

If "Homeland" (Showtime) is to capture the imagination of the people, we need to think about how it re-presents social interest in 'intrigue marketing.'

American TV audiences are simultaneously more critical and more laissez-faire than others, and since the masses want strange symbol re-orientations such as finding ways to make Batman (DC Comics) America's version of Sherlock Holmes or Green Arrow (DC Comics) America's version of Robin Hood, "Homeland" (Showtime) could be presented as a 're-representation' of political profiteerism.

We might want to ask if the people of India/Pakistan want general 'dialogue ice cream.'

Certainly, "Homeland" (Showtime) boasts serious awards for direction/production and acting.

:afro:

The New Adventures of Charlie Chan - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

sleuth.jpg

Forum List

Back