How Christianity saved civilization

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
From wikipedia:

How The Irish Saved Civilization: The Untold Story of Ireland's Heroic Role from the Fall of Rome to the Rise of Medieval Europe is a non-fiction historical book written by Thomas Cahill.

Cahill argues a case for the Irish people's critical role in preserving Western Civilization from utter destruction by the Germanic tribes (Visigoths, Huns, Franks, Angles, Saxons, Ostrogoths, etc.). The book retells the story from the collapse of the Roman Empire and the pivotal role played by members of the clergy at the time. A particular focus is placed upon Saint Patrick and retells his early struggles through slavery; basically retelling portions of The Confession of Saint Patrick. Early parts of the book examine Ireland before Patrick and the role of Saint Augustine of Hippo. Particular focus is placed upon Saint Columba and the monks he trained and the monasteries he set up in the Hiberno-Scottish mission. In a sense, these holy men salvaged everything possible from the destruction of the Roman Empire.

How the Irish Saved Civilization was first published in March 1995 and appeared on the New York Times Bestseller List for almost two years.

Since the Irish that saved civilization were Christian, I took license with my thread title. But it's still perfectly accurate. :cool:

indeed.. being conquered by the dogma of the romans probably IS why we have air conditioning, direct deposit and barbecue sauce.

*yawn*

• Banned
indeed.. being conquered by the dogma of the romans probably IS why we have air conditioning, direct deposit and barbecue sauce.

So that's what civilization means to you. :eusa_think:

Well, in all fairness, I guess two out of three go a long way toward allowing you to never have to leave the comfort of your mom's basement.

So that's what civilization means to you. :eusa_think:

Well, in all fairness, I guess two out of three go a long way toward allowing you to never have to leave the comfort of your mom's basement.

I realize that it probably scarred you when you came downstairs and I had your mom locked in some sexual contortions that a mexican wrestler would be proud of but do you have to keep bringing up relatives?

Hell, nothing says "modern society" QUITE like a catholic doing what catholics do to non believers back in the good ole days, eh? Yes, talk about the saving grace of our modern culture.

:rolleyes:

• Banned
No matter how much it might piss you off, it doesn't change the fact that the thread title is accurate. :rofl:

No matter how much it might piss you off, it doesn't change the fact that the thread title is accurate. :rofl:

meh.. accurate to a guy who really, REALLY wants it to be so.

go hold a sign and picket reality at a soldiers funeral dude... You'll probably net more attention than you do here with similar stupid arguments.

(ps, right now, this very minute, I am laughing at you for suggesting that "civilization" must be interpreted through the opinion of the european church.. I mean, you know how christian were people living in the CRADLE OF CIVILIZATION! HA! Native civilization?!? nope.. not blond haired, blue eyed "jewish" enough! HAHAHAHAHAHA!)

• Banned
I understand your reticence. Reality can be a real bitch sometimes, especially for those that spend so much time in a fantasy world.

yea.. tell me about a fantasy world some more mr. driving the snakes from ireland saved civilization..

:rofl:

hey, thank god we don't call ancient aztec cultures CIVILIZATION since it wasn't stamped with a european god label!

civ·i·li·za·tion (sv-l-zshn)
n.
1. An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.
2. The type of culture and society developed by a particular nation or region or in a particular epoch: Mayan civilization; the civilization of ancient Rome.
3. The act or process of civilizing or reaching a civilized state.
4. Cultural or intellectual refinement; good taste.
5. Modern society with its conveniences: returned to civilization after camping in the mountains.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/civilization

You are becoming as impotent as RGS, dude.

After the fall of Rome, the Church's enticement of Emperorhood, Excommunication, and Crusade probably helped stabelize the rowdy Barbarians.

Without the Roman Catholic Church, there is no telling how civilization would have developed. I don't imagine we would have had the Italian Renaissance.

The Scots have provided quite a bit of civilization to the world as well.

indeed, if euro thumpers were not arund to make injuns wear shoes then who KNOWS how they would have turned out? I mean, it's not as if the germanic people and natives were around for thousands of years prior to the infestation of a certain dogmatic cult that can justify every dead body in it's wake.

indeed, if euro thumpers were not arund to make injuns wear shoes then who KNOWS how they would have turned out? I mean, it's not as if the germanic people and natives were around for thousands of years prior to the infestation of a certain dogmatic cult that can justify every dead body in it's wake.
Well, the Injuns would probably still be living in their Stone Age Civilization up North while down South they would still be cutting each other's hearts out.

The Injuns in the Carolina-Georgia region looked promising. I don't know what happened to the Mississippi mound builders though.

I rather think the Enlightenment saved civilisation. I'd hardly call the Church a paragon of virtue in the Dark Ages.

But I could be wrong :eusa_whistle:
The Church saved Europe long enough from Barbarity until the Enlightenment multiplied the vector by the freaking huge ass scalar.

You are not wrong, just off the mark a little.

Well, the Injuns would probably still be living in their Stone Age Civilization up North while down South they would still be cutting each other's hearts out.

The Injuns in the Carolina-Georgia region looked promising. I don't know what happened to the Mississippi mound builders though.

The Church saved Europe long enough from Barbarity until the Enlightenment multiplied the vector by the freaking huge ass scalar.

You are not wrong, just off the mark a little.

how ethnocentric of you. I mean, it's not like that whole advanced civilizations blossomed and flourished in south America prior to someone from europe present...

:cuckoo:

and, the church saved europe like a dictator unites europe. Would you like to play that same card when compared with Asia?

Forum List

Back