How can you build virtue in your life?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Avatar4321, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,152
    I want specific goals. Im brain storming. Just name a goal and what virtue youd be building with that goal.

2. pacer

pacer Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +451
    The Seven Heavenly Virtues were put forth and explained by Pope Gregory the Great (540 to 604 A.D.). These principles were looked to for guidance in this life so that all may live in preparation for the next. The Seven Virtues each have corresponding vices that must be avoided as vigorously as the virtues are practiced.

1. Keep the virtue of "Faith" foremost in your life. This is considered the most important virtue, allowing you to incorporate the others more easily into your life. If you have faith that God is truly good, merciful and just you will want to please Him. The Seven Heavenly Virtues are guideposts in your spiritual journey through this life.

2. Retain the virtue of "Hope" in the midst of adversity. Hope is the belief good will prevail no matter what evil may befall you or your loved ones. Always bear in mind only God alone knows what will come of your efforts and your struggles to continue to do good even when tempted by despair.

3. Practice the virtue of "Charity" in your life. It's not only love for others that is encompassed by this virtue, but the actions accompanying it. Charity is love in action; it's useless if you by-pass opportunities to show charity for others in your life.

4. Continue to follow God's will no matter how difficult life becomes. This is the virtue of "Fortitude." It is hope in action. Always fulfill your obligations even when you can see no point in continuing or when others seek to keep you from practicing this virtue. Eventually you'll push through the adversity and see the fruits of your labors.

5. Practice the virtue of "Justice." Everyone expects others to be treated fairly, but often we forget to exercise fair practice to others. In the "Our Father" you ask God to forgive your trespasses as you forgive the trespasses of others. In other words, you're asking God to treat you the way you treat others. If you treat others justly, then God will do the same for you.

6. Manage your life with the "Prudence" in all areas, including money, actions and words. This virtue must rule your decisions; if you want a new car but might run into debt with the purchase it would be prudent to make do with what you have. If you have a tendency to gossip it is prudent to hold your tongue.

7. Be "Temperate" in all you do. The virtue of "Temperance" is often mistaken for a warning against overindulgence in alcohol, but it's meant to cover all aspects of life. This includes gluttony, greed and intemperance. Use what you need, do not wish for more than you have and let go of things that lead you away from the fruitful life God has planned for you.

The first three of these are known as the Spiritual Virtues, whilst the last four are called the Chief or Natural Virtues. The Natural Virtues had already been defined by Greek philosophers, whilst the Spiritual Virtues are a slight variation on St. Paul's trio of Love, Hope and Faith (due to variation in translation from the original: Charity and Love arguably have a high level of overlap).

There are also a number of other sets of virtues, including:

The Seven Contrary Virtues which are specific opposites to the Seven Deadly Sins: Humility against pride, Kindness against envy, Abstinence against gluttony, Chastity against lust, Patience against anger, Liberality against greed, and Diligence against sloth.

The Theological Virtues: Love, Hope and Faith, as defined by St. Paul (who placed love as the greatest of them all).

The four Cardinal Virtues: Prudence, Temperance, Courage and Justice.

The Seven Heavenly Virtues: Faith, Hope, Charity, Fortitude, Justice, Temperance, Prudence.

The Seven Corporal Works of Mercy are a medieval list of things you can do to help others: feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, give shelter to strangers, clothe the naked, visit the sick, minister to prisoners, and bury the dead.

The Seven Bushido Virtues: Right decisions, Valor, Benevolence, Respect, Honesty, Honor, and Loyalty.

The Seven Virtues

How to Know the Seven Virtues | eHow

3. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    Being virtuous comes very easy for me. I don't have to try. :) Who said, "When I do good, I feel good....when I do bad, I feel bad."

I feel good :)

4. pacer

pacer Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +451
    I have set a goal not to buy anymore CDs or books but to borrow them from the library. I am presently going through all my books and CDs and unloading them to a charitable organization(s). Those are my short-term goals working toward the virtues of prudence and charity.

5. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,883
    Make sure every American has health care.

6. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

would that fall under coveting or stealing?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. pacer

pacer Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +451
    [​IMG]

8. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,883
    Ask Jesus.

Then the king will say to those at his right hand, "Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me."

When you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.

Nevermind. You wouldn't understand.

9. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    gotcha...

so you covet and will steal from others to get what you covet..... just to make yourself feel virtuous.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  10. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,883
    Yea, that must be it. Keep thinking that way. You do the GOP and USMB Republicans "proud".