How can you build virtue in your life?

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
I want specific goals. Im brain storming. Just name a goal and what virtue youd be building with that goal.

The Seven Heavenly Virtues were put forth and explained by Pope Gregory the Great (540 to 604 A.D.). These principles were looked to for guidance in this life so that all may live in preparation for the next. The Seven Virtues each have corresponding vices that must be avoided as vigorously as the virtues are practiced.

1. Keep the virtue of "Faith" foremost in your life. This is considered the most important virtue, allowing you to incorporate the others more easily into your life. If you have faith that God is truly good, merciful and just you will want to please Him. The Seven Heavenly Virtues are guideposts in your spiritual journey through this life.

2. Retain the virtue of "Hope" in the midst of adversity. Hope is the belief good will prevail no matter what evil may befall you or your loved ones. Always bear in mind only God alone knows what will come of your efforts and your struggles to continue to do good even when tempted by despair.

3. Practice the virtue of "Charity" in your life. It's not only love for others that is encompassed by this virtue, but the actions accompanying it. Charity is love in action; it's useless if you by-pass opportunities to show charity for others in your life.

4. Continue to follow God's will no matter how difficult life becomes. This is the virtue of "Fortitude." It is hope in action. Always fulfill your obligations even when you can see no point in continuing or when others seek to keep you from practicing this virtue. Eventually you'll push through the adversity and see the fruits of your labors.

5. Practice the virtue of "Justice." Everyone expects others to be treated fairly, but often we forget to exercise fair practice to others. In the "Our Father" you ask God to forgive your trespasses as you forgive the trespasses of others. In other words, you're asking God to treat you the way you treat others. If you treat others justly, then God will do the same for you.

6. Manage your life with the "Prudence" in all areas, including money, actions and words. This virtue must rule your decisions; if you want a new car but might run into debt with the purchase it would be prudent to make do with what you have. If you have a tendency to gossip it is prudent to hold your tongue.

7. Be "Temperate" in all you do. The virtue of "Temperance" is often mistaken for a warning against overindulgence in alcohol, but it's meant to cover all aspects of life. This includes gluttony, greed and intemperance. Use what you need, do not wish for more than you have and let go of things that lead you away from the fruitful life God has planned for you.

The first three of these are known as the Spiritual Virtues, whilst the last four are called the Chief or Natural Virtues. The Natural Virtues had already been defined by Greek philosophers, whilst the Spiritual Virtues are a slight variation on St. Paul's trio of Love, Hope and Faith (due to variation in translation from the original: Charity and Love arguably have a high level of overlap).

There are also a number of other sets of virtues, including:

The Seven Contrary Virtues which are specific opposites to the Seven Deadly Sins: Humility against pride, Kindness against envy, Abstinence against gluttony, Chastity against lust, Patience against anger, Liberality against greed, and Diligence against sloth.

The Theological Virtues: Love, Hope and Faith, as defined by St. Paul (who placed love as the greatest of them all).

The four Cardinal Virtues: Prudence, Temperance, Courage and Justice.

The Seven Heavenly Virtues: Faith, Hope, Charity, Fortitude, Justice, Temperance, Prudence.

The Seven Corporal Works of Mercy are a medieval list of things you can do to help others: feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, give shelter to strangers, clothe the naked, visit the sick, minister to prisoners, and bury the dead.

The Seven Bushido Virtues: Right decisions, Valor, Benevolence, Respect, Honesty, Honor, and Loyalty.

The Seven Virtues

How to Know the Seven Virtues | eHow

I want specific goals. Im brain storming. Just name a goal and what virtue youd be building with that goal.

Being virtuous comes very easy for me. I don't have to try. :) Who said, "When I do good, I feel good....when I do bad, I feel bad."

I feel good :)

I have set a goal not to buy anymore CDs or books but to borrow them from the library. I am presently going through all my books and CDs and unloading them to a charitable organization(s). Those are my short-term goals working toward the virtues of prudence and charity.

21cwmbt.jpg

Make sure every American has health care.

would that fall under coveting or stealing?

Ask Jesus.

Then the king will say to those at his right hand, "Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me."

When you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.

Nevermind. You wouldn't understand.

Ask Jesus.

Then the king will say to those at his right hand, "Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me."

When you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.

gotcha...

so you covet and will steal from others to get what you covet..... just to make yourself feel virtuous.

Last edited:

Ask Jesus.

gotcha...

so you covet and will steal from others to get what you covet..... just to make yourself feel virtuous.

Yea, that must be it. Keep thinking that way. You do the GOP and USMB Republicans "proud".

Ask Jesus.

You do understand that, using that Scripture, you are not covered by saying, "But Jesus, I made other people pay more taxes," don't you?

I just try not to be a dick. I don't know which virtue, if any, that falls under, but it works for me.

You've given a task without enough parameter, Avatar! :) I think virtues are worked on within a lifetime and are never 'complete'.

Why not pick a virtue that resonates with your soul and then learn all you can about what that particular virtue means. Then, take a good look at your community and yourself and inject yourself into the work - leave yourself open for possibilities and and look for them everywhere.

After you are satisfied you have progressed, then move to the next virtue you chose.

Keep going - move through them all. You will never be done!

K.

Ask Jesus.

I understand but I am not so sure you do, Dean. You see, Jesus was speaking to his servants. Not the communists who have been murdering them since they plagiarized the book of Acts and named themselves after the concept God gave the Believers in Acts 4:32 ( communists comes from communal living - shared property - etc ) The entire idea was stolen from the early christians to be used as a weapon against them. Who are treated more viciously than any other group by the Communists? Christians. Watch this:

It is written:

All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions were his own, but they shared everything they had. With a great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and much grace was given to them all. - Acts 4: 32

Now let me explain what happened. The Communists whose hearts were filled by Satan -and are of the synagogue of Satan - decided to take this concept and use it against the Believers of Jesus Christ by "forcing them" to give up their lands, their businesses, their properties to them. The difference being while the Apostles lived by faith and lived in poverty the Communists live in a very lavish lifestyle while those under them live in abject poverty as well as being rabid haters of God and all things holy. This is where the entire thing becomes exposed for what it is. A rip off invented by the original counterfeiter, Satan. His children are still marching for him today...

Now if you will examine the early church a little closer you'll find that no one was "forced" to give up their properties, possessions but some rather "chose" to do so...

This is clear from the teaching of Ananias and Sapphira who sold their property to give to the church ( to better their reputation it appears! ) yet held back some of the money but didn't tell anyone. Peter makes it clear that no one forced them to sell that property, it was always in their hand to do whatever they chose to do with it which is not the case for those living under communist rule.

See Acts 5: 1 - 4

Furthermore, Jesus could not possibly be speaking to communists in these scriptures as you are not giving Jesus what you earned from your own hand but rather what you have stolen out of the hands of others and God is not a thief that he should receive stolen goods from anyone.

On the matter of healthcare, why would Jesus need healthcare? He is the great physician and it is written:

By His stripes we are healed. - 1 Peter 2: 24

Last edited:
I interpret Matthew 25:35 to illustrate the types of behaviour that involve loving thy neighbour...the virtue of charity of giving and receiving/reciprocity...something along those lines. :)

A friend of mine who went to heaven the other day at the age of 27 yrs old had a list of 5 things he did every day and I'll share that with you, Avatar, as it kept him from ever returning to his former life of drug addiction and he had a great relationship with the LORD. This is what he told others to do every single day for a closer walk with God.

Here is it:

Pray 30 minutes in the morning / Pray 30 minutes in the evening.

Read 2 Chapters of the Bible a day

Fast one meal a day

Make a list of the 5 biggest weaknesses you have. ( Pray about them - each day )

Witness to at least one person a day about Jesus

That is his list. I hope others here reading will take the opportunity to do what he did. We only have today, tomorrow is no guarantee, people. If you are reading this there is a reason for it. Don't brush it off as a coincidence.

He was driving down the road when someone cut him off and his head hit the windshield and at the age of 27 he is gone and no longer on the earth. I miss him alot today and wish we could have talked one more time before he left. I know he is enjoying his reward in heaven today and would be pleased at my sharing his list with you who are reading it. It could make the difference in where some of you spend eternity.

I interpret Matthew 25:35 to illustrate the types of behaviour that involve loving thy neighbour...the virtue of charity of giving and receiving/reciprocity...something along those lines. :)

Matthew 25:35 is about the sheep and the goats, Pacer. Let me give it to you in it's entirety so you can understand because Jesus didn't speak in chapters and verses..

It is written:

When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right hand and the goats on his left.

Then the King will say to those on his right, "Come, you who are blessed by my Father, take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.

Then the righteous will answer him, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes, and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?

The King will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.

Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, i was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.

They also will answer, Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger in need of clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you? He will reply, I tell you the truth, when you didn't do it for the least of these, you did not do for me.

Then they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.
- Matthew 25: 31-46

This runs deeper than you think, Pacer. When people have done these things to his servants? He says they did it unto him. It is part of Matt. 22 parable. Which is unfolding now, you know? Years ago I was driving down the road talking to the Lord about some people in my husbands life who were slandering my name, maliciously gossiping about me for no other reason than that I was a christian who did not live as they lived. These people are related to him and he was trying to lead them to the Lord at the time. ( he said )

I told the Lord these things they are doing are deeply hurtful to me and I do not understand it because I have done nothing but good towards them - do not live near them but did send nice gifts to them on occasion and had little otherwise to do with them. They did not even know me!

The Lord spoke very clearly to me and said, They are not doing this to you. They are doing it to me. It was as if a knife went straight through the center of my being as I realized that they did not despise me at all. They despised Christ in me - His light was exposing their darkness and they loved the darkness they were in. I felt terribly sad for Jesus that day. I remember the exact place on the road I was driving that day too.

Since then something else Jesus has shown me. I have found more people who are lost or backslidden who have been very kind towards me, very sincere in their kindness and words they speak towards me - even strangers - and I know these ones are the same ones who are going to serve Christ with their whole hearts one day and some already are. How do I know this? Jesus said so in his word, He said those who receive you - receive me.. because I am speaking his words - scripture - yet they still like me! :eusa_angel: Guess what that means? They really love Jesus. They just don't know it yet! Isn't that sweet? I think so! Have a nice day, Pacer.

Last edited:

Ask Jesus.

You do understand that, using that Scripture, you are not covered by saying, "But Jesus, I made other people pay more taxes," don't you?

I believe it's a virtue for Americans to help other Americans and leave a strong, safe, successful and caring country to our kids.

I know, I lost you. I can see you scratching your head and wondering what the hell I'm talking about.

agreed... it is giving what YOU personally can give and do. The question is about what as an individual what can you do in your life to be more virtuous.

Building individual virtue it is not volunteering others, giving of other or taking from others.... for what YOU want to do. If dean thinks he can pay for the whole world to have health care.... they i think he could claim that as building his virtue.

Individual virtue is not about having the robin hood syndrome of stealing from one to give to others. Stealing is stealing, no matter who you take it from or WHY you think you can take it from them. Coveting what others have, or coveting what others have for other people... is still coveting.

As it stands, the only thing rdeans idea of building virtue in HIS life just makes him more a fool. He thinks stealing from others and coveting what others have... somehow makes HIM virtuous. :lol:

Forum List

Back