How can John Wayne be remembered without a gun???!!!???!!!

Should America's Artist Norman Rockwell Painted John Wayne with a gun

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Hell No!

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Hell, I don't know!

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

james bond

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2015
I'm a bit late, but found out America's artist Norman Rockwell's painting of

Sept9_rockwell11218x1500.jpg

This magnificent John Wayne art by America's painter, Norman Rockwell, was put up for auction last year. If you look at the painting, it's a beautiful rendition of Wayne in his later years. Rockwell has the gun and he left it out in the painting (sorta)!!! It could be his cell phone for all we know. Wayne should have his hand on the handle and we should be able to proudly see it.

IMG_2221.jpg

What the heck!!!

Iconic Rockwell of John Wayne comes to auction

I remember him as a man who was a cigarette smoker and noticed how he changed when he had one lung removed due to illness and then when he had the other fail we lost him..

I remember him as a man who was a cigarette smoker and noticed how he changed when he had one lung removed due to illness and then when he had the other fail we lost him..

streamimage.asp

I think he continued to smoke cigars (which I do occasionally). Smoking is a filthy habit.

streamimage.asp

I think he continued to smoke cigars (which I do occasionally). Smoking is a filthy habit.
I know I have stopped smoking cigs, cigars, pipes and chewing tobacco but I still smoke weed..Weed is not as taxing on the lungs as tobacco..

I'm a bit late, but found out America's artist Norman Rockwell's painting of

View attachment 285378

This magnificent John Wayne art by America's painter, Norman Rockwell, was put up for auction last year. If you look at the painting, it's a beautiful rendition of Wayne in his later years. Rockwell has the gun and he left it out in the painting (sorta)!!! It could be his cell phone for all we know. Wayne should have his hand on the handle and we should be able to proudly see it.

View attachment 285379

What the heck!!!

Iconic Rockwell of John Wayne comes to auction
Norman was painting one of Wayne's characters so the gun is a given what with his character.

Cigarettes and cigars are very different. As a cigar smoker I know this, but won't bore you with details.

John Wayne did movies without significant use of guns. But the best ones slung a lot of lead.

streamimage.asp

I know I have stopped smoking cigs, cigars, pipes and chewing tobacco but I still smoke weed..Weed is not as taxing on the lungs as tobacco..

Nice. Cigs and chew are the filthy habit. Cigars, pipes, and weed not so bad. Weed can be bad if it's too much. I use medical marijuana, but usually not somking. For some reason, I can't maintain with regular weed and hard liquor as much anymore, i.e. I'm old > 50 lol.

My favorite JW movie was The Horse Soldiers.

To provide context, Tom Cruise in his prime is what John Wayne was in his prime. I loved True Grit, The Searchers, Rio Bravo, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Stagecoach, The Alamo, The Longest Day, In Harm's Way, Red River, and more.

streamimage.asp

Nice. Cigs and chew are the filthy habit. Cigars, pipes, and weed not so bad. Weed can be bad if it's too much. I use medical marijuana, but usually not somking. For some reason, I can't maintain with regular weed and hard liquor as much anymore, i.e. I'm old > 50 lol.
I am young at 58.In 2020 MJ will be available in Missouri but the cost is high to get it.

streamimage.asp

I am young at 58.In 2020 MJ will be available in Missouri but the cost is high to get it.

May as well get it illegal ;).

streamimage.asp

May as well get it illegal ;).
Is growing it for thirty years illegal?

The Duke was tops at what he did but it was all imaginary. I prefer Jimmy Stewart who flew 20 combat missions. I like my heroes real and so many actors of that day had saw real action. So to me the gun isn't necessary to be reflective of the man.

1. no firearm in In Harm's Way
2. in a LOT of his movies he used his fists
3. he was in the pro-Vietnam movie The Green Berets--and Vietnam was not only unwinnable--it was wrong to be in, just like Syria
so--he's just a man--not a hero--not someone who made America great/etc
..not that i don't like his movies--I'm watching them now

Last edited:

Forum List

Back