How can I do this?

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I found an exquisite Ralph Lauren Purple Label skirt suit at a yard sale for $15-and in my size.

Not wanting to pass on the deal, I snatched it up immediately. It even still had the tags on it-original price was like $450. The problem? It is not an attractive color. It is a tan/beige color that is just not attractive to me. But a RL Purple Label suit for that price AND in my size...no way to pass it up.

Anyway, I am pretty good at dying clothes that are older and have faded, or even changed the color on some of my son's clothes that had gotten stained. But these clothes were also machine washable.

This suit is dry clean only, but I so despirately want to change the color, at least making it a darker, more chocolate brown than the tan that it is.

Even thought it is dry clean only, 100% wool, would I be able to dye the suit myself, using RIT dye, just not sending it through the dryer but hanging it up to dry, then send it for dry cleaning?

I don't want to ruin this suit, but at the same time, I want to change the color. Should I maybe find a place where they would dye it professionally?

fuzzykitten99 said:
I found an exquisite Ralph Lauren Purple Label skirt suit at a yard sale for $15-and in my size.

Not wanting to pass on the deal, I snatched it up immediately. It even still had the tags on it-original price was like $450. The problem? It is not an attractive color. It is a tan/beige color that is just not attractive to me. But a RL Purple Label suit for that price AND in my size...no way to pass it up.

Anyway, I am pretty good at dying clothes that are older and have faded, or even changed the color on some of my son's clothes that had gotten stained. But these clothes were also machine washable.

This suit is dry clean only, but I so despirately want to change the color, at least making it a darker, more chocolate brown than the tan that it is.

Even thought it is dry clean only, 100% wool, would I be able to dye the suit myself, using RIT dye, just not sending it through the dryer but hanging it up to dry, then send it for dry cleaning?

I don't want to ruin this suit, but at the same time, I want to change the color. Should I maybe find a place where they would dye it professionally?

Put it on ebay for $350. Take that an apply towards one of your color-liking. Save the headache. :D

fuzzykitten99 said:

$450 outfit with tags for $15, and it was still there when you got there?

Sure it's even authentic? You can stick a tag and label on anything.

Shattered said:
$450 outfit with tags for $15, and it was still there when you got there?

Sure it's even authentic? You can stick a tag and label on anything.

well, the sale had JUST opened. I was walking Buster early in the morning, and came upon the house and she had just finished setting up. I wandered in and found the suit, as well as a few other things. It has RL in the buttons and the store tag from Neiman Marcus. I really doubt someone would go as far as sewing buttons on and changing tags, all for $15. She said it was her mom's, who had passed away.

fuzzykitten99 said:
....Even thought it is dry clean only, 100% wool, would I be able to dye the suit myself, using RIT dye, just not sending it through the dryer but hanging it up to dry, then send it for dry cleaning?

You put any water (which is how you dye) on your suit, it will shrink to where it'll fit your oldest boy. IF you have to change the color, see if you can find a reputable place that will do it.

Joz said:
You put any water (which is how you dye) on your suit, it will shrink to where it'll fit your oldest boy. IF you have to change the color, see if you can find a reputable place that will do it.
yeah, i figured. But I like to find out if I can do things like this myself instead of paying someone to do it. I found some places in the phone book, so i'll be making some calls tomorrow.

fuzzykitten99 said:
yeah, i figured. But I like to find out if I can do things like this myself instead of paying someone to do it. I found some places in the phone book, so i'll be making some calls tomorrow.
Oh, I'm the same way. I even change the head lights on my car. So, THAT's how I know.
Let me know what you find out.

Forum List

Back