How can Europeans have destinct nationality?

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
What Im asking is, how can people with certain traits be considered 'German" or 'Austrian', or a certain type of sausage belong to a certain nation, when they are all so close together with nothing holding them apart but borders? It seems as though everyone would look the same, because the geography is practically the same compared to the extreme corners. Also, with more open borders, how can a national's traits remain the same and not be all mixed into one type of person with all the same features? Was I clear enough?

Semper Fi said:
What Im asking is, how can people with certain traits be considered 'German" or 'Austrian', or a certain type of sausage belong to a certain nation, when they are all so close together with nothing holding them apart but borders? It seems as though everyone would look the same, because the geography is practically the same compared to the extreme corners. Also, with more open borders, how can a national's traits remain the same and not be all mixed into one type of person with all the same features? Was I clear enough?

language, culture and tribal history is the short answer....

do you belive there are any fundmental differences in the cultures of various states or regions of the the US it is a given that language is similar but dialect varies...also borders mean quite a bit...mexico vs US

Thats true, but the geography is so close that it seems like they would all look somewhat the same. I mean you can look at someone and say "They are obviously German", but Germany is right in the middle of Europe. So if geography does play a role in it, then everyone should look pretty much the same, and have relatively the same traditions. Ahh, I know what Im saying in my head but its hard to explain.

Semper Fi said:
Thats true, but the geography is so close that it seems like they would all look somewhat the same. I mean you can look at someone and say "They are obviously German", but Germany is right in the middle of Europe. So if geography does play a role in it, then everyone should look pretty much the same, and have relatively the same traditions. Ahh, I know what Im saying in my head but its hard to explain.

i get it... i assume you have been there....thier cultural differences dting waaaaaaaaaay back to tribal wars causese them to not mix much...two world wars didn't help much either ...evetually i agree with you they will belnd into one common look...i would think that in time the entire world will

No, I havent been there. European stuff has always interested me, especially eastern European and Russia. I suppose wars and culture differances had a lot to do with it. Thanks.

Semper Fi said:
No, I havent been there. European stuff has always interested me, especially eastern European and Russia. I suppose wars and culture differances had a lot to do with it. Thanks.

I understand how you feel although i always liked the mediterreanian areas the most. Spain, Rome/Italy, Greece. with the exceptions of the French. ive never really cared about them. i mean nothing personal i just havent really seen any great things come from France.

I understand how you feel although i always liked the mediterreanian areas the most. Spain, Rome/Italy, Greece. with the exceptions of the French. ive never really cared about them. i mean nothing personal i just havent really seen any great things come from France.

For me its just somethign about the Russians, I dont know what it is. European history before the American Revolution era pretty much owns American history. I mean, compare the Romans, with their advanced governement and architecture, to the *still* hunter/gatherers in the Americas. The story of how the US was born is a good one, though. Dont get me wrong.

Semper Fi said:

just my point of view...you really should try and get over there somehow...it will help you see and understand it in your own context

Semper Fi said:

if you go to russia you need to go to the ukrain and st petersburg, kiev, and moscow...the transistion from czarist ruke to communist to whatever they are up to know is quite startling

manu1959 said:
just my point of view...you really should try and get over there somehow...it will help you see and understand it in your own context

Im hoping the government will pay for some of that in about 8 years. ;)

Forum List

Back