How can an atheist have morals?

Even if most atheists aren't completely evil, I think most if not all evil people are atheists. If humans believe there is no higher authority than the self (like Satan did) then logically anything, even the most heinous crimes can be rationalized.
Hitler believed in god. He said god created Germany.
Hitler and the Nazis promoted an ideology of social Darwinism.

Even if most atheists aren't completely evil, I think most if not all evil people are atheists. If humans believe there is no higher authority than the self (like Satan did) then logically anything, even the most heinous crimes can be rationalized.
Thats great as a deflection but he still believed in god.

Even if most atheists aren't completely evil, I think most if not all evil people are atheists. If humans believe there is no higher authority than the self (like Satan did) then logically anything, even the most heinous crimes can be rationalized. I believe serial killers are atheism taken to it's most logical extreme, living as nothing more than animals.

You might want to brush up on your European history.

Most atheists I have talked to in this day and age more or less have a strictly materialist view of the world, and typically say that man is no different than an animal.

This makes me wonder how atheists can logically justify having morals; for example if rape, torture, or murder aided one's own survival or the survival of one's group why should they be off the table?

I'm an atheist. I don't need to be instructed from on high to not lie, cheat, steal, or kill if for no other reason than that whole "do unto others as you would have done unto you."

Most atheists I have talked to in this day and age more or less have a strictly materialist view of the world, and typically say that man is no different than an animal.

This makes me wonder how atheists can logically justify having morals; for example if rape, torture, or murder aided one's own survival or the survival of one's group why should they be off the table?

Atheists believe in a human moral code. Basically that there is right and wrong that we know is for the betterment of man based on fairness - but it's based on men - people no different than you or me - no ultimate authority? Makes no sense to me but when people want to justify their flawed position, normally they write a 10 paragraph explanation.

Life is simple. It doesn't require explanation either.

If a god's commandments are based on a knowledge of the inherent morality of an act, we are faced with the realization that there is a standard of morality independent of the god and we must admit that he cannot be the source of morality.

That's s
That's survival of the fittest. That's not atheism. Athiests just don't believe in gods. Doesn't make us Nazis. Lots of atheist capitalists. Ayn Rand

If the only thing keeping right wingers from rape and torture and murder is their imaginary spirit friend, then I'm right to see them as a terrible danger. Apparently, we are only a single belief away from rape and torture and murder.

“My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a
fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded
by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and
summoned men to fight against them and who, God’s truth! was greatest
not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian
and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord
at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the
Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was his fight
against the Jewish poison. Today, after two thousand years, with
deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact
that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross. As
a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have
the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice… And if there is
anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly, it is
the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty
to my own people. And when I look on my people I see them work and
work and toil and labor, and at the end of the week they have only
for their wages wretchedness and misery. When I go out in the morning
and see these men standing in their queues and look into their
pinched faces, then I believe I would be no Christian, but a very
devil, if I felt no pity for them, if I did not, as did our Lord two
thousand years ago, turn against those by whom today this poor people
are plundered and exposed.”

[Adolf Hitler, speech in Munich on April 12, 1922, countering a
political opponent, Count Lerchenfeld, who opposed antisemitism on
his personal Christian feelings

frabz-Hitler-was-Christian-We-Tolerate-no-one-in-our-Ranks-who-Attacks-5902fb.jpg

Calm down folks------there is a real history-----at the time of Jesus-----the group of jews MOST OPPOSED to the money changing activity in the Temple Courtyard----were THE PHARISEES ---- the story of Jesus' attack on the money changers----virtually proves that he was a PHARISEE (jesus did not eat bacon and eggs for breakfast)

My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. ...Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross. ...

- Adolf Hitler, speech on April 12, 1922

I should add---that it is true that Jesus was crucified for sedition against rome-----probably MOST PROMINENTLY for his action against
the Roman supported and exploited mercantilism in the Temple Courtyard

Atheism is a fairly moral stance to have. It's wrong, but moral.

Atheist wants to donate $100 to a Baptist Children's Home, they refuse it. The amount has now grown to 5 figures and they still refuse it.

[
Are you comparing atheists to the KKK? WTH? It's money for the kids!

Atheists hate Christians. Atheists exist to crush Christians and deny civil rights to them. The relationship of Atheists to Christians is identical to that of the KKK to blacks. Atheism is a philosophy of hatred toward Christians.

You know this.

I'm not talking agnostics, but Atheists.

[
Are you comparing atheists to the KKK? WTH? It's money for the kids!

Atheists hate Christians. Atheists exist to crush Christians and deny civil rights to them. The relationship of Atheists to Christians is identical to that of the KKK to blacks. Atheism is a philosophy of hatred toward Christians.

You know this.

I'm not talking agnostics, but Atheists.

Thinking something is silly and ridiculous is not hate. Lol. That is a SILLY analogy to try to make.

Forum List

Back