How Brain Implants Could Make the Death Penalty Obsolete

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
I read this and immediately thought of this:

I've never heard of the author and he is running for Prez. So here is a little more information on him.
Zoltan Istvan for US President 2016

Part of the article:
For example, it’s likely we will have cranial implants in two decades time that will be able to send signals to our brains that manipulate our behaviors. Those implants will be able to control out-of-control tempers and violent actions—and maybe even unsavory thoughts. This type of tech raises the obvious question: Instead of killing someone who has committed a terrible crime, should we instead alter their brain and the way it functions to make them a better person?

Recently, the commercially available Thync device made headlines for being able to alter our moods. Additionally, nearly a half million people already have implants in their heads, most to overcome deafness, but some to help with Alzheimer’s or epilepsy. So the technology to change behavior and alter the brain isn’t science fiction. The science, in some ways, is already here—and certainly poised to grow, especially with Obama’s $3 billion dollar BRAIN initiative, of which $70 million went to DARPA, partially for cranial implant research.
How Brain Implants and Other Technology Could Make the Death Penalty Obsolete Motherboard

I've never heard of the author and he is running for Prez. So here is a little more information on him.

Part of the article:
For example, it’s likely we will have cranial implants in two decades time that will be able to send signals to our brains that manipulate our behaviors. Those implants will be able to control out-of-control tempers and violent actions—and maybe even unsavory thoughts. This type of tech raises the obvious question: Instead of killing someone who has committed a terrible crime, should we instead alter their brain and the way it functions to make them a better person?

Recently, the commercially available Thync device made headlines for being able to alter our moods. Additionally, nearly a half million people already have implants in their heads, most to overcome deafness, but some to help with Alzheimer’s or epilepsy. So the technology to change behavior and alter the brain isn’t science fiction. The science, in some ways, is already here—and certainly poised to grow, especially with Obama’s $3 billion dollar BRAIN initiative, of which $70 million went to DARPA, partially for cranial implant research.
How Brain Implants and Other Technology Could Make the Death Penalty Obsolete Motherboard

It does not address the need for vengeance felt by the survivors of murder victim. Haven't you ever seen a Clockwork Orange?

Part of the article:

Common theme in sci-fi. Episode of Babylon 5 in fact had an episode about a murderer convicted to "death of personality" where the criminal personality is completely suppressed and a new goody type personality is inserted.

Think death works best, is cheaper, and fool-proof.

As with chemical castration for sex offenders, they can simply take testosterone to circumvent things. Physical castration though works a lot better (though as voluntary eunuchs demonstrate, you can take testosterone for that as well.)

Part of the article:

It does not address the need for vengeance felt by the survivors of murder victim. Haven't you ever seen a Clockwork Orange?

Years ago. I mean years. I went through a let's see everything ever done by Kubrick phase.

Wasn't Zoltan the character in that Bruce Lee inspired martial arts filkm back in the day? Had David Carradine and some white guy...

Part of the article:

Common theme in sci-fi. Episode of Babylon 5 in fact had an episode about a murderer convicted to "death of personality" where the criminal personality is completely suppressed and a new goody type personality is inserted.

Think death works best, is cheaper, and fool-proof.

As with chemical castration for sex offenders, they can simply take testosterone to circumvent things. Physical castration though works a lot better (though as voluntary eunuchs demonstrate, you can take testosterone for that as well.)

Yep. Mind wipe. I'm a huge B-5 fan.

It's still creepy.

One could also put it "how the death penalty made brain implants obsolete". If the left really cared about the sanctity of life Dr. Kermit Gosnel would be on death row and the nazi Planned Parenthood doctors who discuss the crunching of human babies to harvest body parts would be among the first candidates for brain implants.

Part of the article:

Recently, the commercially available Thync device made headlines for being able to alter our moods. Additionally, nearly a half million people already have implants in their heads, most to overcome deafness, but some to help with Alzheimer’s or epilepsy. So the technology to change behavior and alter the brain isn’t science fiction.

My concern really is not how it effects the outliers. It's that ordinary people are going to have to adopt this technology in order to participate in society or compete in the job market. It's like, "Oh, you aren't chipped? Whatcha got to hide? How can I trust you? etc.."

Forum List

Back