How Black Athletes Spend Their Money

apparently you can't make people rich just by giving them money. I wonder what was missing?

They say 60% go bankrupt within 5 yrs of retirement.

Public stories of NBAers in financial trouble occasionally make headlines. Back in October, Jason Caffey, who made an estimated $29 million during his eight-year NBA career, was in bankruptcy court seeking protection from his creditors, among them the seven women with whom he fathered eight children. And late last year Latrell Sprewell, who famously turned up his nose at a $21 million contract offer – "I've got to feed my family," was the money quote – had a yacht worth more than $1 million repossessed.

Hinson said the problems go far deeper than the headlines. The players' association has long recommended a financial firm that offers players free second opinions on their financial particulars, but getting players to act is a challenge.

"Sometimes you can stop the bleeding, and other times you can't stop the bleeding," said Hinson, who added that many players associate with "too many `yes' people."

"Sometimes you need someone to say, `No, you can't buy that.' I fell prey to that myself, and I know a lot of people I played with who had the same problem," said Hinson, whose 10-year career ended in the early 1990s.

"It takes a strong constitution and a good team of advisors around you to make sure you're doing the right things."

Common sense and honest advocates are sometimes in short supply in NBA circles, but they do exist.

NBA players' financial security no slam dunk - thestar.com

Jason Caffey, who made an estimated $29 million during his eight-year NBA career, was in bankruptcy court seeking protection from his creditors, among them the seven women with whom he fathered eight children. And late last year Latrell Sprewell, who famously turned up his nose at a $21 million contract offer – "I've got to feed my family," was the money quote – had a yacht worth more than $1 million repossessed.

I'm amazed that a black man showed enough loyalty to father two children by one woman!

On a related note, remember when the NBA instituted a dress code for press conferences? One player whined that the league should have to pay extra for the nice clothes. Right... on top of what they're paid already?

Is this strictly a black phenomenon? Are there great numbers of white/latino/foreign players that blow their wads on bling?? I think the professional leagues need to do a better job at providing financial planners for these people. I know there are thousands of qualified financial planners that would love to help these people. Sad.

Is this strictly a black phenomenon? Are there great numbers of white/latino/foreign players that blow their wads on bling?? I think the professional leagues need to do a better job at providing financial planners for these people. I know there are thousands of qualified financial planners that would love to help these people. Sad.

Just blacks.

And wait a minute... it's the LEAGUE'S job? How the fuck is that? You get 9 million dollars to play baseball for six seasons, and yet you're still "owed" something? Fuck the fuck out of that, yo.

One of the big arguments for blacks is that if we whites just give them more money, it'll be alright. Yet here they are, rolling in cash, and they're still basically mental children in adult bodies.

I repeat: blacks are not like us. They are just slightly over mentally retarded. They're that way NATURALLY, not because of "racism".

I think it's more of a social issue. I bet there is a correlation between those who blow their money and childhood standards of living and cultural role models. Kinda like how a certain percentage of college freshman will flunk out because they cannot handle that type of autonomy. Blacks are certainly not "just slightly over mentally retarded". These threads do not help your bid for white advocacy.

Just blacks.

And wait a minute... it's the LEAGUE'S job? How the fuck is that? You get 9 million dollars to play baseball for six seasons, and yet you're still "owed" something? Fuck the fuck out of that, yo.

One of the big arguments for blacks is that if we whites just give them more money, it'll be alright. Yet here they are, rolling in cash, and they're still basically mental children in adult bodies.

I repeat: blacks are not like us. They are just slightly over mentally retarded. They're that way NATURALLY, not because of "racism".

Probably a good thing you're north of the Maxon-Dixon line. You sure couldn't say something like that down here and live to see another day. ;)

Check out Larry Bird.

they grow up with nothing and then they are handed millions of dollars, what do you think is going to happen?

Check out Larry Bird.

larry bird probably has the first nickel he ever made.

In October 2005, a man in Oklahoma City, Eric James Torpy, was convicted of shooting with intent to kill and robbery. He asked that his sentence be changed from 30 years imprisonment to 33 so that it would match Bird's jersey number. His request was granted.

:eusa_whistle:

In October 2005, a man in Oklahoma City, Eric James Torpy, was convicted of shooting with intent to kill and robbery. He asked that his sentence be changed from 30 years imprisonment to 33 so that it would match Bird's jersey number. His request was granted.

:eusa_whistle:

he's lucky he's not a papelbon guy. :lol:

I think it's more of a social issue. I bet there is a correlation between those who blow their money and childhood standards of living and cultural role models. Kinda like how a certain percentage of college freshman will flunk out because they cannot handle that type of autonomy. Blacks are certainly not "just slightly over mentally retarded". These threads do not help your bid for white advocacy.

Right, just a "social issue." But that then begs the question of who, exactly, makes up this "society" that produces these behaviors. Other blacks? And why can't any of them ever get their shit together? We live in a day and age when there's free public education for everyone, access to libraries, mass media, the Internet, you name it. The Asian boat people manage to figure this shit out... what's holding the blacks back?

It's like the whole "bad neighborhood" business. There are no "bad neighborhoods", only neighborhoods filled with bad people.

Could it just be that blacks evolved to have shorter time horizons, more impulsive behavior and less ability to restrain themselves and plan for the future? In ADDITION to their lower IQ's, the borderline retardation of which is set out in Race, Evolution and Behavior by Rushton?

At some point, those grasping at the myth of black equality are going to have to ask themselves what quantum of proof they'd need before admitting that blacks are, in fact, less intelligent. Because right now, that's the whole evidence.

Again: whites just don't like to admit the truth about black intelligence because they themselves have invested so much in this whopper, writing a black math or computer genius into every other kids' show.

I mean fuck -- if I were to devise little "proofs" of lower black intelligence, I'd create a situation where blacks are actually handed huge sums of money, and then observe that if they fail even with this, buddy, it ain't whitey's fault they're so fucked up. Something's just really off. And lo and behold, that's exactly what you've got with black athletes and their money.

Last edited:
There are so many racial myths floating out there in the racistsphere.

For instance, most of the brothers I served with in Naval showers were suprised that a white boy made them look like a over boiled brussel sprout after Thanksgiving day.

Last edited:
There are so many racial myths floating out there in the racistsphere.

For instance, most of the brothers I served with in Naval showers were suprised that a white boy made them look like a over boild brussel sprout after Thanksgiving day.

Now now, nobody likes Tall Poppy syndrome! :D ;) :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back