How big would a flag have to be for it to be visible on the moon from earth?

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
Am I the only one who has always wondered why there is no giant U.S. flag on the moon every time I look at a full moon at night? I think it would be a great way of officially staking a claim to our property since we travelled there first and put modern equipment there.

We should place a huge flag on the moon to instill pride in our greatness as a nation. In fact, the flag should have a giant bust of whoever the current President is next to it.

Imagine the entire planet seeing the leader of the free world, Donald Trump, standing next to the American flag and possibly the letters MAGA every time they glance up at a full moon at night. It would bring great pride to all Americans knowing the rest of the world couldn't help being at least a little bit envious of the USA every time they saw it. Could we accomplish this?

Could we accomplish this?
fzizbjpv5r8zveczqesg.jpg

Am I the only one who has always wondered why there is no giant U.S. flag on the moon every time I look at a full moon at night? I think it would be a great way of officially staking a claim to our property since we travelled there first and put modern equipment there.

We should place a huge flag on the moon to instill pride in our greatness as a nation. In fact, the flag should have a giant bust of whoever the current President is next to it.

Imagine the entire planet seeing the leader of the free world, Donald Trump, standing next to the American flag and possibly the letters MAGA every time they glance up at a full moon at night. It would bring great pride to all Americans knowing the rest of the world couldn't help being at least a little bit envious of the USA every time they saw it. Could we accomplish this?
Yep. You're the only one.

I wonder if they thought about that when the greatest Country in the world put the first men on the moon (during the Nixon administration). Even if you had to use the highest magnification allowed for civilian use, wouldn't it be a treat to see a blurry image of the Stars and Stripes on the moon? Maybe next time.

Found this. The flag would have to be YUGGGGE!

The Hubble Space Telescope was recently trained on the Moon for the first time. It can theoretically resolve lunar features down to 85 metres (280 feet) across, which means that although it could never directly observe the lunar module's base section (much less the flag) it could possibly see its shadow near lunar sunrise or sunset. No Earth-bound telescope could match this feat.

Precisely 160km x 260km—precisely. Not one inch +/- tolerance allowed.

Ameteur... a flag would deteriorate and fade due to the constant exposure of solar radiation. You aren’t thinking big enough, or smart enough. I have thought about something that delivers the effect you seek. And once my conquest of earth is complete; my idea will be put into effect. And it will be visible from earth as long as the moon remains intact, and there are people to observe it.
Think robotic bulldozers, meets Nazca Lines.

The flag wouldn’t have to be that big but you would never be able to see a flag on Earth from the moon. Politics would stop it. Read about “first man” for more details. That move can be seen anywhere but you just can’t see the flag for some reason...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back