CDZ How bad is the wait staff shortage where you are

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
The wife came home with steam coming out of her ears. Where she and 20 of her buddies went today was Long Horn and she saw only three wait staff.That did not work out well. I was wondering How bad it is in the rest of the country?

I try to limit my eating out to high end restaurants. The food at a lot of “quick serve” places is not much better than I can cook at home. And when you go to a nicer place, they tend to be better staffed and better tasting.

As for the service staff; We have a local IHOP not far from the campus that we go to often. Its almost like passive resistance. The Cracker Barrel is much more user friendly in terms of wait staff. And if you ask them, they will take your ticket to the counter and cash you out at the one I frequent. My biggest complaint about them was the whole dog and pony show of having to stand in line to pay your ticket.

If they have a shortage, there isn't any money or there is crappy management.

The wife came home with steam coming out of her ears. Where she and 20 of her buddies went today was Long Horn and she saw only three wait staff.That did not work out well. I was wondering How bad it is in the rest of the country?

Avoid Longhorn. My dad took me there for my birthday, and I asked for some gravy.

This patronizing faggot waiter poured some grease on my potatoes and called it gravy.

I did not stand up and jackslap him like I wanted to. You have to make proper decisions if you want to be a free man.

I haven't gone back to Longhorn since.

Longhorn is just bad. I'd recommend patronizing a local place if possible.

Ruby Tuesday is pretty good for a steak and the salad bar.

I live in the home of Bern's Steak House. Don't need no damn Longhorn.

An old friend of mine used to like that Sam Seltzer's, if those are there.

AVOID chain restaurants like the plague, if you can.

Frequent one location, Mom & Pop restaurants that have excellent reviews for your best bet at having not only great wait staff but also excellent food.

I have to disagree, parking space is the big shortage for the better restaurants. There are as many as 4 delivery services and they get special parking spaces plus restaurants pay for valet parking and that includes at least one "gourmet" hot dog stand. FL is a place of cultural shock for yankees. Only MS is more shocking to lefty liberals where a lot of Black Folks fly the stars and bars and not just on game days.

Common sense dictates that you should always make reservations ahead of time when you have such a large party.

The waitstaff issue has two primary roots:

1. Artificially high minimum wages have seen restaurants go self-service or cut down dramatically on staffing.

2. Liberal-indoctrinated products from our public schools have been taught that the work is demeaning and welfare if not.

So far the local restaurants are saying the minimum wage is not a big issue. The higher prices they have to charge drove away a few (not all that many) customers so they need two fewer "servers" than they used to. Fortunately two of the older servers asked to go to half-time so there was only one position that was already empty and simply was not refilled.

Last edited:
We have a whole caravan of people heading this way that would be thrilled to take your order

What I do is if I'm going to a strange town to work..I seek out a Greek Mom & Pop place. It pays.

I just know that old Greek men sell good food for a decent price as a general rule. That theory has not failed me yet.

The waitstaff issue has two primary roots:

1. Artificially high minimum wages have seen restaurants go self-service or cut down dramatically on staffing.

2. Liberal-indoctrinated products from our public schools have been taught that the work is demeaning and welfare if not.

So far the local restaurants are saying the minimum wage is not a big issue. The higher prices they have to charge drove away a few (not all that many) customers so they need two fewer "servers" than they used to. Fortunately two of the older servers asked to go to half-time so there was only one position that was already empty and simply was not refilled.

Congratulations. You broke the record for nonsense in a 6 line post.

Yet strangely wait staff usually do not make minimum wage.

Yet strangely, other restaurants; sometimes across the street offer good service and affordable prices

Yet strangely a place like Chick Fil A offers what I would call superior service drawing from the same talent pool that Burger King draws from and seems to have consistently satisfied customers. Anecdotally, the other day there was some torrential rain and CFA sent employees out with umbrellas to assist folks coming into their restaurant. I almost guarantee you that BK managers would have never thought about asking much less implementing such an act.

Government interference is not the issue. It management of the restaurants.

I have to disagree, parking space is the big shortage for the better restaurants. There are as many as 4 delivery services and they get special parking spaces plus restaurants pay for valet parking and that includes at least one "gourmet" hot dog stand. FL is a place of cultural shock for yankees. Only MS is more shocking to lefty liberals where a lot of Black Folks fly the stars and bars and not just on game days.

I've lived in Florida. I've lived in Chicago. In fact, Chicago is not a car friendly city. You might be friendly when you get in your car but you aren't friendly at all after driving in it or searching for parking. I've been to 5 star restaurants in both.

Waiters make rent in establishments where there is money to be made. They are looking for a reliable income in an unreliable industry. The steakhouse you are talking about is not fine dining. It's either piss poor management or waitstaff can't make rent working there.

What I do is if I'm going to a strange town to work..I seek out a Greek Mom & Pop place. It pays.

I just know that old Greek men sell good food for a decent price as a general rule. That theory has not failed me yet.

But they don't always advertise and there are outliers. Me and my bud Tom Lee. His mom was Greek and his great grandfather Chinese. One look at him and you are certain he said that the wrong way around. We both have relatives that keep finding data that we are less white than we look like with other more lefty relatives trying to prove we are more white. Considering that the odds and sods (too small in numbers to be rated as even a band.) of the Tallaposa valley beat the Creek military Red Stick elite who out numbered them as well in 1814 and during the transportations in the 1830s no one came near us. But it's not just Greeks Chrisitan Arabs are also really good cooks.

But they don't always advertise and there are outliers. Me and my bud Tom Lee. His mom was Greek and his great grandfather Chinese. One look at him and you are certain he said that the wrong way around. We both have relatives that keep finding data that we are less white than we look like with other more lefty relatives trying to prove we are more white. Considering that the odds and sods (too small in numbers to be rated as even a band.) of the Tallaposa valley beat the Creek military Red Stick elite who out numbered them as well in 1814 and during the transportations in the 1830s no one came near us. But it's not just Greeks Chrisitan Arabs are also really good cooks.

A lot of the good places don't advertise, they don't have to.

I have never seen a Bern's Steak House advertisement.

I do recommend them if you want a steak in my area.

There are a couple things at play.

We have A LOT of service industry jobs as a nation.

Unemployment is low.

Some areas have a lot of old folks creating an imbalance between the types of folks who take waitress jobs and the type of folks who go out to eat.

Labor, even waitresses cost and the Longhorn just isn't that unique to have an advantage over other similar chains.

Now if only I knew where we could import some young folks looking to be citizens.....personally though I'd make them live in the rust belt. We have enough ppl in CA, TX and FL.

I try to limit my eating out to high end restaurants. The food at a lot of “quick serve” places is not much better than I can cook at home. And when you go to a nicer place, they tend to be better staffed and better tasting.

As for the service staff; We have a local IHOP not far from the campus that we go to often. Its almost like passive resistance. The Cracker Barrel is much more user friendly in terms of wait staff. And if you ask them, they will take your ticket to the counter and cash you out at the one I frequent. My biggest complaint about them was the whole dog and pony show of having to stand in line to pay your ticket.

You spoke about only going to high class restaurants and then you talked about IHOP and Cracker Barrel, I wouldn’t consider either high class but to each his own.

You spoke about only going to high class restaurants and then you talked about IHOP and Cracker Barrel, I wouldn’t consider either high class but to each his own.

Nice to see your taking an interest in my activities. I was commenting on the service (as per the title)...

Forum List

Back