How are we so sure where and how life can or can't exist?

Confounding

Gold Member
Jan 31, 2016
It seems like when scientists try to answer the question "Where is it possible for life to exist?" they base a large amount of their assumptions on how life exists on Earth. I see why they do that, because we have no other frame of reference, but isn't it possible that life exists in ways we might think is impossible? Maybe we shouldn't try to narrow it down so much.

It seems like when scientists try to answer the question "Where is it possible for life to exist?" they base a large amount of their assumptions on how life exists on Earth. I see why they do that, because we have no other frame of reference, but isn't it possible that life exists in ways we might think is impossible? Maybe we shouldn't try to narrow it down so much.

The last place on Earth… without life
Top Ten Places Where Life Shouldn't Exist... But Does | Science | Smithsonian

It seems like when scientists try to answer the question "Where is it possible for life to exist?" they base a large amount of their assumptions on how life exists on Earth
Yes, by design, but not because of the assumption that life cannot or likely will not take other forms, but more because of limited resources. It only makes sense to look for life "as we know it", and narrow our search. to what we know about this.

Scientists have theories.
Many theories prove to be wrong.
The pursuit of those theories had produced the world in which we now live.
Not too shabby.

I agree. Our definition of life may be inappropriate for the reality of space.

Forum List

Back