How Are Protective Classes Formed?

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by Amanda, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    I have a lot of interest in protected classes (gays, blacks, jews, etc) and I'm wondering how they emerge. Is there a common event that raises a certain group to protected status. Or is it a common trait? How do these groups go from being underdogs that are routinely "abused" to protected status where they become virtually untouchable?

Your thoughts?

And please, can you give me 2 or 3 pages of discussion before we make this about the rep system or speculation of various posters hygiene habits, etc? I'd really appreciate it because I'm trying to learn.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137

LOL!!!!

I think about that too. I also think that being in a class of people, protected or not, is a huge advantage. Because at least you know you are not alone. It is the people who are so very different, so unique and who are marginalized because of their differences that have my most heartfelt sympathy.

3. michiganFats

michiganFats BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I think guilt is a big factor in establishing a so called protected class or group. If an activist can convince enough people that they are somehow,even indirectly, responsible for something bad happening to someone or something else, they will receive contributions. The more they receive, the more political power they are likely to wield.

4. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    The truly protected classes are the rich and powerful. They are the 'untouchables'. Just my opinion.

"Protected Class Groups - Protected class groups are a group of people protected from discrimination and harassment. The following groups are considered "Protected Classes":

Race
    Religion
    Color
    National Origin
    Age (40 and over)
    Sexual Orientation
    Individuals with Disabilities
    Veteran Status

Race/Ethnic Origin
    Black or African American (not of Hispanic Origin) - A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.
    Hispanic or Latino - A person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.
    Asian - A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, the Indian Subcontinent, for example, China, Japan, Korea, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.
    Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander - A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.
    American Indian or Alaska Native - A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community recognition.

Veterans

Veterans covered under 41 CFR 60-250 of the Vietnam Era Veteran's Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (VEVRAA):

Other Protected Veteran: 1.) A person who served in a war with active duty service between December 7, 1941 and April 28, 1952. Or 2.) A person who served in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge, a service medal, or expeditionary medal has been awarded. For a complete list of campaigns refer to Criteria Identifying Other Eligible Veterans.
    Veteran of the Vietnam Era: a person who served on active duty for a period of more than 180 days, any part of which occurred between Feb. 28, 1961, and May 7, 1975 in the republic of Vietnam or between Aug. 5, 1964, and May 7, 1975 in other regions, and who were not dishonorably discharged, or who were released from active duty for a service-connected disability during that period.
    "Disabled Veteran" means: a person entitled to disability compensation under law administered by the Veteran's Administration for disability rated at 30 percent or more, or rated at 10 or 20 percent in the case of a veteran who has been determined under 38 U.S.C. 3106 to have a serious employment handicap; or a person whose discharge or release from active duty was for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
    Recently Separated Veteran: any veteran during the one-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty.

Veterans covered under 41 CFR Part 60-300 of the Jobs for Veterans Act (JVA):

Disabled Veteran: (1) A veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs, or (2) A person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
    Recently Separated Veteran: Any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service.
    Armed Forces Service Medal Veteran: Any veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.
    Other Protected Veteran: a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized, under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.

Individual with disabilities is an individual who:
    has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activity
    has a record of such impairment
    is regarded as having such impairments

Sexual Orientation includes:
    Gay
    Lesbian
    Bisexual
    Transgender"

http://www.admin.mtu.edu/aao/protectedclass.htm

How many lawsuits are won by these so called untouchables? Very few.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  5. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Look around this board. It is pretty AOK to use racist terminology, slurs against women and minorities in the name of free speech.

It's an equal opportunity environment to be insulted. Are you saying it bothers you when some people call you out for using such terms? What's your interest in the topic? Do you think we should do away with civil rights law?

If someone says something racist in my presence, I often address it with the person if we are friends. Teaching tolerance it's called.

Learning involves an open mind. That's all you need.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  6. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    I think that some groups excel at exploiting their own victim status. I think there are some nearly permanent victims amongst some segments of the African American communities. For instance, if you think about the "scholars" who have made a career out of promoting black victimhood...that's one group. I think that the majority of lesbians, for instance, are pretty much like the rest of us. There are a few, however, who feel like any criticism of THEM, specifically, is equivalent to criticism of lesbianism. Somehow, they take their personal issues and imply that any criticism of them, as an individual, is because of their membership in that group.

As a blond with large breasts, I am the stereotypical person who has no immunity, whatsoever, from humor opportunities, but I laugh as hard as anyone at a blond joke.

And, I think that stuff like this is hilarious.

7. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    I would disagree with this. I think that people who use racial slurs are often called out for it, publicly. I see DavidS and Sunni being dished a boatload of crap on a regular basis for their anti-Jew/muslim rants.

But, a lot of slurs are in the eyes of the beholder. A lot of the standard "slurs" against women don't bother me a bit, as a woman. I don't find that I have an emotional reaction to them, at all. In fact, I wonder about the sanity of people who DO have a strong emotional reaction to words.

8. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
  9. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    Anything goes on a message board. People say things they would never say in RL because there are no real consequences.

What bothers me is being called out for not using todays right terminology. If you catch it just right you can get clubbed for using the old correct word then get it again when you use the new correct word. I don't use slurs, at least that I'm aware of. Have you ever known me too?

My interest in the topic is to understand the social phenomenon. I don't have an agenda. I could expand more on my feelings about it, but that isn't why I started the thread.

10. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    The real beauty of protected classes/anti-discrimination laws is the reverse effect they have on the non-protected classes. Being a white, straight male is becoming harder and harder, because we have no protection whatsoever.

As for your situation, the reason blond women get no protection is because no one ever stood up for them. The blacks got their protection because MLK and others stood up and shouted loud enough until society heard them. Every social class has to have a leader if they want to be heard.

What's sad is that the treatment of blond women doesn't stop at jokes. I know women who have been denied jobs because they were the buxom blond bombshell and the interviewer wrote them off as a typical "dumb blond."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1